Alkialinity is 9.5 dkh 3.39 mep/l

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 5-7

PH 8.0

Ammonia 0

Ready for Goby and Shrimp????

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jambon said:

Go for it. I haven't kept up to this post. What shrimp/ Goby have you decided on?

Pistol Shrimp and Watchman Goby. They are already paired in LFS.

2 hours ago, seabass said:

Do you have a stocking plan going forward, or are you going to decide on additions down the road?

I think I would stick to the Shrimp and Goby for now. Will add others later. 

My dad is thinking of not having too many livestock as we will be moving back to Singapore in 8-9 months time. We will then have to put the fish up for adoption.

• Like 1

Hard to tell with the blue light.  However, the timing would seem to agree with diatoms.  Is it tan or more reddish in color?  Is it more crusty or slimy?

It is more brownish, tan. Sorry for the photo as I was using my mom's iPhone. 

I am going to buy some Trochus snails with dad this weekend. Maybe Red sea no pox, too?

1 minute ago, ReiRei said:

It is more brownish, tan. Sorry for the photo as I was using my mom's iPhone.

Then yeah, probably diatoms.  They feed off of silicate and almost everyone gets them around when the nitrogen cycle gets established.  They usually go away after they have consumed the available silicate.  I usually try to siphon them out and let the cleanup crew take care of them.

1 minute ago, ReiRei said:

I am going to buy some Trochus snails with dad this weekend. Maybe Red sea no pox, too?

The Trochus snails will be a nice addition.  I've found that they benefit from more acclimation than most other snails require.  You could either drip acclimate, or add a little tank water to their bag every 15 minutes (about a half a dozen times).

My recommendation is to hold off on Red Sea NO3:PO4-X, and stick with water changes to export excess nutrients.

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Then yeah, probably diatoms.  They feed off of silicate and almost everyone gets them around when the nitrogen cycle gets established.  They usually go away after they have consumed the available silicate.  I usually try to siphon them out and let the cleanup crew take care of them.

The Trochus snails will be a nice addition.  I've found that they benefit from more acclimation than most other snails require.  You could either drip acclimate, or add a little tank water to their bag every 15 minutes (about a half a dozen times).

My recommendation is to hold off on Red Sea NO3:PO4-X, and stick with water changes to export excess nutrients.

How many Trochus snails should I get? My mum is scared of snails.

Tell your mum that they will stay inside of the tank.  By the way, then don't get nerite snails, as they tend to climb out of the tank. :o  I don't know, maybe get three or four.

I also like to keep one scarlet reef hermit crab (or dwarf blue leg hermit crab) for entertainment purposes.  They are also good cleanup crew members.  I don't like keeping a lot of crabs because they might kill snails for their shells (or if they get hungry enough).  If you do decide on a hermit crab, put some extra snail shells inside for him to move into.  They change shells on occasion and also need larger shells as they grow.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a while since I updated ,a lot has happened so this is what happened :I went to Italy for 10 days then I got back and cycled the tank a bit more then as you know....I got a goby and a pistol shrimp! Now I have 2 clown fish and mixed polyps on rocks. So now I got a new piece of rock and lots of corals!So this how my tank looks like now.

The green algae bloom has started.

I have 2 Trochus snails and one of them was missing for a few days. I just found it today hiding under a rock. Trochus really helped a lot with my Diatoms.

IMG_7703.JPG

IMG_7705.JPG

IMG_7704.JPG

• Like 2