Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Oracus's custom 20L peninsula tank

Oracus

Well I don't know what went wrong! Saturday a Lfs held a private going out of business sale, I picked up 6 nice zoa frags and a nice maze. Monday morning one of my clowns was acting weird and seemed dusty looking. Setup qt moved eveyone over except the blenny and were all dead laying on the bottom of the tank by afternoon. Tuesday checking on corals which are all fine I could not find my Blenny, found him dried up behind the tank. So now i have coral and inverts only in the tank. Parameters seem normal ammonia, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, alk 8, CA 360, mag 1340. Have not tested phosphate new test kit just arrived yesterday evening. I will continue to monitor the tank for anything unusual before purchasing new fishes. And of course quarantine. 

On 12/27/2017 at 9:18 AM, Oracus said:

Well I don't know what went wrong! Saturday a Lfs held a private going out of business sale, I picked up 6 nice zoa frags and a nice maze. Monday morning one of my clowns was acting weird and seemed dusty looking. Setup qt moved eveyone over except the blenny and were all dead laying on the bottom of the tank by afternoon. Tuesday checking on corals which are all fine I could not find my Blenny, found him dried up behind the tank. So now i have coral and inverts only in the tank. Parameters seem normal ammonia, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, alk 8, CA 360, mag 1340. Have not tested phosphate new test kit just arrived yesterday evening. I will continue to monitor the tank for anything unusual before purchasing new fishes. And of course quarantine. 

New fish are in QT for a few weeks

New light showed up yesterday Vipar Spectra 165w black box. Have to work on mounting but this thing is bright! Currently set @ 25% blues and 5% full spectrum channel. 

• Like 1

Blues were up to 70% and whites 25% zoas werent opening so back down to 50%/10%. Started seeing some fine hair algae on the plateau rocks so I added a turbo snail who completely cleaned the false wall in one day.  

32 minutes ago, Oracus said:

Is there any pros or cons to all blues? Would it negatively affect fishes?

I think blues vs whites is a preference thing.  Folks in Europe tend to run their tanks whiter and folks in the USA tend to run their tanks more blue.  I think the bluer you get, the more the colors pop in the tank, but it does look a bit weird.  I understood that the red/green wavelengths will tend to produce more algae.  I don't think the spectrum really affects fish at all though. 

• Like 1

Starting to get some brown stringy substance on the sand bed. Hopefully its from the small amount of aragonite I added where my pistol shrimp is expanding his tunnels. I am manually removing and will check PO4 tonight. Might even run a bag of GFO is test shows high 

So thought about this stuff some more.  It did not show up until i started raising my alk levels. Then it was mentioned to me that it might be diatoms. Do diatoms string like this? I was able to remove some of it and man this stuff smells bad. Kinda slimy but breaks up into almost nothing when touched. I cleaned 95% out of the tank tonight with about 50% WC.