Cultivated Reef

Starting a new 24g.

JBolt

Hello, fello reefers I am looking for some advise from some experienced reef keepers.  So I am starting my first as tank and I haunt slacked in my research but the problem is conflicting arguments and different variables so I figured I ask about my particular sinario.  I aquasscaped about 28 to 30 lbs of dry rock, got my temp right, salinity, and good flow going, I let the tank run for 3 days and just added a 3 lb price of live rock and plan on adding sand from an established tank to help ad a variety of good bacteria.  My main question is that the rock was said to have been curing for a year, the rock went strait into the tank only being out of water for 5 min.  So I guessing minimal die off.  I want great biodiversity and am not in a hurry at all I want a stable long term system.  So instead of asking should I do "this or "That" I'll ask what should be my next step be?  All levels are still zero but it has only been 10 hours since the live rock went in.  Thank you in advance.

Do not use sand from an old reef. Sand builds up toxins in it over time and when it gets stirred up it will be released into the water. Get new dry sand or new live sand that’s up to you.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for the advise, I have dry aragonite now, but I read adding a cup from an established tank will add biodiversity, that other thread failed to mention the negetive effects of the toxins, so is there anyway to help add biodiversity in the early stages (not to speed things up but to create a better "foundation"  

Edit: the sand is from a dsb at my local ifs, but if that is going to release toxins I will pass

32 minutes ago, JBolt said:

Ok, thanks for the advise, I have dry aragonite now, but I read adding a cup from an established tank will add biodiversity, that other thread failed to mention the negetive effects of the toxins, so is there anyway to help add biodiversity in the early stages (not to speed things up but to create a better "foundation"  

Edit: the sand is from a dsb at my local ifs, but if that is going to release toxins I will pass

Time will create the foundation of a good, mature reef.   

You should have minimal die off from the live rock. Give it a few days and retest. 

• Like 1

You will have minimal cycle with all liverock used, if dry rock and liverock is used you will definitely go through a normal cycle.

You need to test during cycling and no bacteria will not die.

I wouldn't use old sand. It is full of detritus and will set you up to begin with problems.

15 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You will have minimal cycle with all liverock used, if dry rock and liverock is used you will definitely go through a normal cycle.

You need to test during cycling and no bacteria will not die.

I wouldn't use old sand. It is full of detritus and will set you up to begin with problems.

Yeah, mostly dry..... good to know the bacteria will be fine and I'm skipping the sand.  So this cycle, at what point should I start to see the cycle start (estemate) days, weeks, months? The rock was very clean and submerged the whole time if that helps

I have, I'm on day 3 and haven't seen any ammonia, or nitrate I am just curious if I should see ammonia the day after I put the live rock in or a week after or maybe I'm just anxious and should be looking at a month or more.

No by a month the tank should be cycled.

If the majority of the rock is dry it will take a while to fully cycle.

Most use all dry rock and ammonia dosing to start the cycle.

Some will add a shrimp or feed the tank- this is a dirtier method which leads to nutrient issues.

In order to see nitrates there needs to be ammonia. Ammonia is the first stage of the cycle.