SaltCritters.com

Putting in more rock to my tank

Cavscout263

Hey yall

so I finally got my innovative marine 20g and I moved all the stuff from my old 20L to the new one. Problem is all the rock that I have in there is already cycled and I have fish and corals. I really want to change the aqua scape and the current rock I have in there is not achieving the look I want.  

So question is is what should I do? Try and buy live rock from my local shop( already has coralline algae on it) and put it in?

my best option in my head right now is to buy coralife rock and try to cycle them in a bucket? 

If i I went with the live rock, I would transport in some salt water but would I need to cure them further or would they be ok to put in? 

Liverock would still need to be monitored in a bucket to see if there is any ammonia spikes due to due off.

I've added small pieces of life rock with No issue as it has bacteria injected and is clean rock but the best way to determine if rock is safe is by putting it in a bucket of sw and check for ammonia for a few days.

Ok cool. Yeah I am going to set a bucket up with a heater and filter after I scrub off my old rock from my 5 gal and just cycle/cure it while I am off at work over the next few weeks. And hopefully I can place it in after I get back and let the coraline spread on the other rocks 

• Like 1

I decided to go with some caribsea rock  and my old rock together.  I put it in a bucket with warmer and power head. I scraped some coralife algae off an old live rock and put it in there in hopes of it seeding the other rock. I put some polyp booster and food pellets in there to fuel it. Also put microbacter7 in to feed it. I am going to be Out for work for two weeks. So when I get back I will test it. Then I am going back out till mid November.  

So those few days I am back I will test it. Should I do a water change on it or just leave it? 

Any other tips for this cycling/curing of rock? 

image.jpg