Coral Vue Hydros

Coraline grow on zoas

revolution1925

revolution1925

Hi to all! 
I have a 15gallon cube almost a year now with some zoas, acans, ricordeas and some rock flower anemone. 
I keep my corals under a kessil a160we at 50% intensity. 

I try to keep my water chemistry stable 
Salinity 1026
No3 2-8
PO4 0,009 (hanna instrument) 
Ca 420 
Mg 1400
Kh 8
Ph8-8,3
Temperature 26 celcius 

So the problem is at some point  coralline start to spread quikly around the zoa frag. The zoas then stop growing and the coraline slowly covering them!! 

Is anyone have the same problem? What u guys recommend? 

Thanxs and sorry about my english!! 

IMG_20171002_194120.jpg

IMG_20171002_193646.jpg

IMG_20171002_193613.jpg

I've never seen coralline grow over living tissue. It could possibly be a more aggressive type?  

Sorry,  Im not much help but I've never seen that happen before.  

Anyone?  @seabass  @RayWhisperer ..........You two are good at knowing strange reef stuff. :)  

IME coraline loves calm waters. I would suggest removing it with a razor or sharp brush, then adding some more flow directed to the colonies.

If the zoas are not moving enough, it allows coraline to grow on it undisturbed.

• Like 2

Not the worst problem to have.  Neat little tank.

And while zoanthids don't really move all that much, trying some more flow (like Sjadet suggested) makes sense.

I guess that you could look into a coralline predator, like an urchin.

• Like 1
revolution1925

Thanxs guys! 

So more Flow maybe do the trick.

I am gona remove as much as i Can today and i hope this little guys be strong and stay alive.! 

Thanxs again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Are you using purple up, purple tech, or something like that? If you do, I wonder if the dust from it settled on the zoas and encourage the coralline to grow there, if that’s even possible 

38 minutes ago, xthunt said:

Are you using purple up, purple tech, or something like that? If you do, I wonder if the dust from it settled on the zoas and encourage the coralline to grow there, if that’s even possible 

I thought none of those additives worked?

revolution1925
53 minutes ago, xthunt said:

No additives at all

44 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

I thought none of those additives worked?

Never used it. I read people say ‘its just ground up calcium carbonate ‘ ‘don’t need it, keep your parameters in check, ect’. But... you read reviews of people who bought it and used it, they almost always say it worked. Don’t know.