Pod Your Reef

Fluval Flex 9 Gallon - Setting Up

Brechin

Hello all, just a quick intro... I have been keeping aquariums (planted, fowlr, reef, etc.) For over 16 years now and took a little break from saltwater to have some kids. Now that my babies are all in school and I have free time again, I am back in the game.

I got rid of my 36 gallon Amazon biope angel tank and made way for a Fluval Evo 13.5 which is chugging away nicely. I am now getting ready to crack into my Fluval Flex 9 Gallon that has been sitting in it's box for months now. I already have one set up as an aquatic frog terrarium for one of my kids so I was able to get a good idea of the pros and cons. 

One thing I do like about it is that there is much more room in the rear compartment to fit my hand in, this is compared to the Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon tank. It also has an intake lower down on the back wall, so far down it's almost at the bottom. This is in partnership with the normal intake/overflow area up top on the back wall. 

One thing I don't like, is the flow and the stock pump. They have got to go, they simply won't provide the flow needed for a reef tank. Thankfully, I have the pump from the Fluval Evo 13.5 that was upgraded to a Sicce .5 so I'll see if that fits and does the trick. 

So, I'm thinking of going bare bottom, only a little rock work, changing out the filtration in the back (nobody likes those dang sponges Fluval keeps putting in there), and maybe getting a new LED light kit from somewhere like Nano Box. I think I can open up the top and take out the stock LEDs and put in some better ones, I would like to keep the hood. 

The main goal is to have a decent pico sps reef with maybe a shrimp/goby pair. I don't necessarily care what kind of fish go in, so any suggestions or ideas are welcome. 

Wish me luck!!

Here are a couple of pics of the Fluval Flex 9 Gallon Frog tank. You can see the top and bottom intake. Pretty cool :)

IMG_20170926_215905.jpg

Second pic :) 

IMG_20170926_215845.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...