Innovative Marine Aquariums

Toadstool leather looking rough

Viatorem

I got a toadstool leather yesterday, and at first it was doing really well, had acclimated fine and stood up and opened almost immediately until the lights went out. This morning, same thing, came right up (first picture). Past few hours it has seemed extremely unhappy and won't come out at all..normal? Bad? Need some help here (second picture)

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Ph - 8.1

Nitrate - 5-10ppm

Phosphates - 0.25 ppm

Alk - 11dkh, or 196ppm

Calc - roughly 420-440

Salinity - 1.0245

I know there's a phos and alk issue, it was worse, I'm successfully combating it!??

Does it need more flow (I have a 1000 pump in a chamber and a 250gph powerhead in the opposite corner of the stock one)? Is it just acclimating? Does it need to be moved? Closest corals are some acans (2" away) and a frogspawn (3" away). 

IMG_6718.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

Leathers can do this, especially when acclimating.

They do like a good amount of flow because when algae and detritus lands on them and the flow isn't adequate enough to remove it, they close up, wax over, and eventually  shed.

The cyano next to it may be ticking the leather off 

I forget, is cyano the beneficial one or no? I have another 400-500gph powerhead I can add to the tank. Should I do the stock pump and 500 on one side and the 250 on another, or the stock and 250 on one and the 500 opposite 

It might just not like where it's placed.  I have a pair of toadstools that stayed closed for like 6 months while I tried out different spots for them.  Once they found a place they liked, they were fully open within a couple days.

22 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

It might just not like where it's placed.  I have a pair of toadstools that stayed closed for like 6 months while I tried out different spots for them.  Once they found a place they liked, they were fully open within a couple days.

6 months?!!!! I have a leather that's been grumpy for a few days and I'm losing my mind lol

2 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

6 months?!!!! I have a leather that's been grumpy for a few days and I'm losing my mind lol

A few days is nothing. They often close up to shed which can take a few days to a couple of weeks.

Constantly touching and moving leathers really pissed them off.

Put them in moderate light, they like light and good flow.

13 minutes ago, Viatorem said:

Thanks for the replies guys, any ideas on the powerheads?

Cyano is not beneficial. 

It's caused by high nutrients and often grows in low flow (dead spot) areas.

Adding an additional powerhead is always a good idea.

What is in there now/placement and what the pump gph?

14 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Cyano is not beneficial. 

It's caused by high nutrients and often grows in low flow (dead spot) areas.

Adding an additional powerhead is always a good idea.

What is in there now/placement and what the pump gph?

Right now the pump is a coralife 1000 (left back corner), and I have a 250 gph on the opposite (right back corner).  I have another powerhead I can use as well. Was thinking about putting the 250 in the same corner as the stock pump, and putting a 500 in the right back corner that way the flow paths cross and cause changing directional flow. Good idea or do something different?

2 hours ago, Viatorem said:

Right now the pump is a coralife 1000 (left back corner), and I have a 250 gph on the opposite (right back corner).  I have another powerhead I can use as well. Was thinking about putting the 250 in the same corner as the stock pump, and putting a 500 in the right back corner that way the flow paths cross and cause changing directional flow. Good idea or do something different?

Powerhead placement is different in every tank. You have to try different ways until there are no dead zones and it works with your corals.

You also need to find the cause of the cyano

On 9/15/2017 at 2:51 PM, Clown79 said:

Powerhead placement is different in every tank. You have to try different ways until there are no dead zones and it works with your corals.

You also need to find the cause of the cyano

Update: happy leather!

Also, the cyano is slowing coming under control, found it was from overfeeding with flakes which raise phosphates. Phos is down to .25 which I checked 2 days ago (have been running Phosgaurd and reduced feeding every other day). Nitrates have always been a steady 5-10ppm, never lower, never higher. 

IMG_2492.JPG

• Like 1