Pod Your Reef

lonewonderer

lonewonderer

Hello everyone, I have anew 120 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. Yesterday i added pure liquid ammonia "unscented"and by accident i put around 500ml of liquid ammonia in the tank. Does anybody know if the cycling process will still work? will it continue through time? or do i have to flush it? need some light on this problem of mine.

thanks,

How do you "accidentally" add 500ml of ammonia?  Have you tested your current ammonia level in the water?  Have you added any live nitrifying bacteria?  What process are you using to get the cycle going?  Still too many questions to answer before we can give you good advice.

Thrassian Atoll
Just now, dandelion said:

I'd say do a 100% WC and try again. That's the fool-proof solution.

Thats a lot of water.  

Whats the ammonia level at?

lonewonderer

its around 80ppm. I was holding the ammonia 2 liter container then i fell from my ladder and the container fell into the tank. I have cycled countless tank using shrimp, ammonia, fish food and feeder fish. But the thing is that im just worried about the ammonia that was put onto the tank. Read some from other forum with mixed result. There is no fish in there so waiting game is the key i guess. 

5 minutes ago, lonewonderer said:

its around 80ppm. I was holding the ammonia 2 liter container then i fell from my ladder and the container fell into the tank. I have cycled countless tank using shrimp, ammonia, fish food and feeder fish. But the thing is that im just worried about the ammonia that was put onto the tank. Read some from other forum with mixed result. There is no fish in there so waiting game is the key i guess. 

Anything over 5ppm greatly slows down the process. You'll be waiting for a year or more. Do the water change. What's left in the sand will prolly make it 5 or less ppm. Drain and restart is fastest option. 

• Like 1
lonewonderer

That's what im thinking as well. BTW i have a bare bottom tank so it will take longer. I'll just crank up the heater to 84 degrees and add an air stone to speed it up. I'm in no rush to cycle it anyways. i just wanted to know it the nitros will continue even though the ammonia started at 80ppm.