Coral Vue Hydros

Getting clownfish to host anemones

Olipocock12

Olipocock12

Dose anyone have any good tips on getting clowns to host anemones?

from my research Iv seen that different clowns host different anemones so getting a match is the best place to start. Iv also found out some tips and here they are;

1) print a picture off or a clown in an anemone and stick it to the side of the aquarium next to the anemone

2) place them both in a bucket or floating breeder box inside the tank so it limits the space and they are forced to host 

3) shine a light over the anemone at night when the lights are off 

has as anyone got any experience with these methods or has other methods or tips that would help? 

The Reef Novice
4 hours ago, Olipocock12 said:

Dose anyone have any good tips on getting clowns to host anemones?

from my research Iv seen that different clowns host different anemones so getting a match is the best place to start. Iv also found out some tips and here they are;

1) print a picture off or a clown in an anemone and stick it to the side of the aquarium next to the anemone

2) place them both in a bucket or floating breeder box inside the tank so it limits the space and they are forced to host 

3) shine a light over the anemone at night when the lights are off 

has as anyone got any experience with these methods or has other methods or tips that would help? 

To be honest for my clown fish it came natural but it took longer than I thought. My female started to become curious of the Green BTA  and  nipped at it here and there, this behavior happened for three weeks until one night my wife and I saw the female hosting. IMO I would just give it time. How long have they been in the same tank together?

Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.  The best way is to get a FEMALE  clown in love with anemones.  We did it the opposite way and when we had to remove the female, the male was no longer associating with anemones and never went back agin.

• Like 1

Sometimes they host, sometimes they don't 

In the ocean they use the anemone as protection, they don't need that often in a tank.

Mine host a frogspawn. My male started and taught the female to host.

In my other tank the clowns host nothing

• Like 1

Go to melevsreef on youtube and search for "clown tube slide."  It seems wacky (in fact someone told him about it and he thought it was wacky but then filmed himself using it get his clowns to immediately host an anemone.  I tried it with ocellaris that were young and wanted nothing to do with my BTAs and it actually worked!  In his test the clowns went in and acted like they had always been there.  Mine were not quite so immediate.  They stayed in the anemone for a bit then over the next couple of days bit at the tentacles and rubbed them perhaps 50% of the time and swimming near but not in it for 50% of the time but by the third day they were in - this was five 1.5 inch juveniles.

It is worth looking at the video since it looks so far-fetched - but really rather effective and fast.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, OldManSea said:

Go to melevsreef on youtube and search for "clown tube slide."  It seems wacky (in fact someone told him about it and he thought it was wacky but then filmed himself using it get his clowns to immediately host an anemone.  I tried it with ocellaris that were young and wanted nothing to do with my BTAs and it actually worked!  In his test the clowns went in and acted like they had always been there.  Mine were not quite so immediate.  They stayed in the anemone for a bit then over the next couple of days bit at the tentacles and rubbed them perhaps 50% of the time and swimming near but not in it for 50% of the time but by the third day they were in - this was five 1.5 inch juveniles.

It is worth looking at the video since it looks so far-fetched - but really rather effective and fast.

Okay, that was awesome.. Next time I have nems and clowns, I'm totally giving that a shot.

Nixperience

All juveniles will host a BTA almost immediately. If you have any clown that's been around for a while, good luck. I did the acclimation box and it worked in the box. Once they were free, they haven't gone near it. 

IMG_1446.JPG