ReefCleaners.org

Discouraged!

JonathanDillio

JonathanDillio

I really wanna thank everyone for all of your awesome input. I think I have decided to go with the Red Sea Nano. I didnt even know that that tank existed until it was mentioned on this thread. After doing so research I was about to find it through BRS for $809 because they are having a memorial day sale. So excited! I really want to do with their pukani rock but I really dont have the space to cure the rock for a month so I am going to go with reef cleaners pre cured rock. Does anyone have any experience with this tank? Should  I get an extra powerhead? What heater would you get? Do you think I should make any mods to the filtration system? 

Again, thank you all so much! I cant wait to share this journey with you all! 

Also it doesn't come with a return pump so you'll need that as well. For good but budget friendly power heads you could probably use a single Jebao SW-4. I'm not sure on return pumps since I didn't go the sump route. That's a really nice tank though, love the red sea stuff. 719 bucks for the black set was a nice deal while it lasted lol. 

JonathanDillio
1 minute ago, Hdale85 said:

Also it doesn't come with a return pump so you'll need that as well. For good but budget friendly power heads you could probably use a single Jebao SW-4. I'm not sure on return pumps since I didn't go the sump route. That's a really nice tank though, love the red sea stuff. 719 bucks for the black set was a nice deal while it lasted lol. 

On the BRS website and on the youtube video that Red Sea made it says that it has a return pump? 

• Like 1

Ohh ok, it's not the reefer model. 

I don't know for less than 50 bucks more you can get the reefer 170 lol. Granted you have to spend a bit more on rock and sand, and a return pump. But the extra water volume would make things more stable. They all look fantastic though. 

• Like 1
JonathanDillio
10 minutes ago, Hdale85 said:

Ohh ok, it's not the reefer model. 

I don't know for less than 50 bucks more you can get the reefer 170 lol. Granted you have to spend a bit more on rock and sand, and a return pump. But the extra water volume would make things more stable. They all look fantastic though. 

Wouldnt I also have to buy the LED lighting? 

yeah that too....lots of options for around 100 bucks though. But I get it lol you wanted to keep it lower, like I said they are both nice tanks. Just surprised how close those tanks are together. 

JonathanDillio
Just now, Hdale85 said:

yeah that too....lots of options for around 100 bucks though. But I get it lol you wanted to keep it lower, like I said they are both nice tanks. Just surprised how close those tanks are together. 

I think after reading everyone's posts on this thread I have come to the realization that "keeping it lower" is not really a thing in this hobby. LOL. What LED could I get for around $100 that would support the corals and allow them to thrive. I have looked at so many lights and i feel like I didnt see any under $300. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, JonathanDillio said:

I think after reading everyone's posts on this thread I have come to the realization that "keeping it lower" is not really a thing in this hobby. LOL. What LED could I get for around $100 that would support the corals and allow them to thrive. I have looked at so many lights and i feel like I didnt see any under $300. 

Look for used lights. Or the aquamaxx nemo light on marine depot might be a good option as well and won't break the bank. 

There are also the Chinese options like the MarsAqua and similar, the one I got has a better light spectrum than the MarsAqua and some timer feature although I haven't tried to figure them out yet, it was 116 bucks I think? Looks pretty nice too and it's 165w worth of LED's but runs around 120-140 watts in reality. It's insanely bright and one of them would easily be enough for any of those tanks. Most people with shallower tanks run them at like 20% output. 

https://www.amazon.com/SYGAVLED-Aquarium-Dimmable-Spectrum-Fixture/dp/B01KJHWHYK/ref=pd_cart_rp_1_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S5032A2N6000H16KGASS

That's the one I got. Although generally you don't need that much power for LPS and such. This light is capable of SPS and such pretty easily from what I gather. People are running some of the chinese LED's on 2'+ deep tanks and getting 200 par at sand bed not even at max power. 

With that said soft corals apparently work pretty good with the Nemo lights and such. They are ~15-50w LED lights depending on the size I believe. 

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_NemoLight_AquaMarine_Nano_LED_Fixture_With_Controller_18_Watts_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ94547-FILTFILD-vi.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwja_JBRD8idHpxaz0t3wSJAB4rXW5crFmgo_4XMSIzFamG3QrtZBuH15J3RhhsXEQeL7uERoC6zrw_wcB

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hdale85 said:

Hmm is it this one? 

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefer-nano-complete-system-21-gal-red-sea.html

At the top it says Return pump not included. 

1 hour ago, JonathanDillio said:

This is the one that I am looking at. 

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/max-nano-complete-reef-system-red-sea.html

CANT WAIT! LOL

Those were the 2 that I was deciding between as well.  Bang for the buck, Max Nano.  It comes with literally everything to support a mixed reef out of the box.  My issue with it was that you're sort of stuck with what you got there.  With the Reefer Nano, it's a little more money overall, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm glad I went with it over the Max.  Still though, Max Nano, great tank for the $$

• Like 1

With the Nano you're at 29g max capacity, with the 170 you're at like 43g max capacity. The Reefer Nano has a 21g display tank the 170 has a 34g display. Price difference between the Reefer Nano and 170 is like 150 bucks, but the price difference between the Max Nano and the Reefer 170 is less than 50 bucks. Also keep in mind you get points back that equate to dollars, should be 5% I think. So on an 800 dollar tank you get like 40 bucks worth of points back. So I'd place an order for the tank, then place a separate order to use your points towards. 

• Like 1

If it makes you feel any better, I've spent more than a year's Salary over the last 15 years on aquarium gear!

I have a problem...

Nixperience

AI Prime HD is $225 and is what is included with the max nano. That light would also be sufficient for the reefer 170. The reefer 170 also does not come with a skimmer, so if you went with the 170, you would need light, heater, skimmer. 

I will drop my 2 cents in here.

I would hands down go with the 170, not only for the sump system below the tank that you can do a lot more with than the AIO style filter, I'd go with the 170 for the extra room.

The last thing you want to do is go smaller, only to find out you want a bigger tank well after you've started setting things up. Once you have that tank started, there isn't any going back. You can always easily add equipment to a system, but you can't easily replace the aquarium/stand. Besides, small tanks fill in fast, and you're going to run out of room quick in that little Red Sea Max Nano. ;)

• Like 2
Nixperience
6 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

I will drop my 2 cents in here.

I would hands down go with the 170, not only for the sump system below the tank that you can do a lot more with than the AIO style filter, I'd go with the 170 for the extra room.

The last thing you want to do is go smaller, only to find out you want a bigger tank well after you've started setting things up. Once you have that tank started, there isn't any going back. You can always easily add equipment to a system, but you can't easily replace the aquarium/stand. Besides, small tanks fill in fast, and you're going to run out of room quick in that little Red Sea Max Nano. ;)

This is true. A valuable 2 cents. 

Nixperience

Also, the reefer systems do not come with the return pump. I just checked Marine Depot and BRS and they both state no return pump included. BRS definitely has better deals today than Marine Depot. 

Its about $1250 to get going with the reefer 170. 

The tank is about $100 cheaper at BRS right now, but everything else is basically same price on Marine Depot and you get points with them that turn into store credit. 

IMG_1305.PNG

There is a Reefer Deluxe 170 that comes with a really nice light. 

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/deluxe-reefer-170-complete-system-34-gal-red-sea.html

It comes with a Hydra 26 HD light, although if that's all it comes with then I don't think it's worth it as you could just get the 170 and that Hydra LED or another cheaper LED option for less money. Seems like thats the only extra the Deluxe model comes with, that light by itself is 349 and it's a 90w LED light. So you're talking 1100 with that light and the standard 170 system....kind of strange. 

haleschristine

Try searching on Facebook for a saltwater group in your area. You can usually find the same options on there for a lot less from people either upgrading or parting out their tanks. It helped me a lot! 

Nixperience
2 minutes ago, Hdale85 said:

There is a Reefer Deluxe 170 that comes with a really nice light. 

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/deluxe-reefer-170-complete-system-34-gal-red-sea.html

It comes with a Hydra 26 HD light, although if that's all it comes with then I don't think it's worth it as you could just get the 170 and that Hydra LED or another cheaper LED option for less money. Seems like thats the only extra the Deluxe model comes with, that light by itself is 349 and it's a 90w LED light. So you're talking 1100 with that light and the standard 170 system....kind of strange. 

It seems like that's all it comes with. Still needs heater and return pump. The reefer 170 is usually $950, so that's the price of the light and system.