inTank Media Baskets

Discouraged!

JonathanDillio

JonathanDillio

Hey Guys,

If any of you have seen the couple of threads that I have already created then you already know that I am a newbie to the reefing world. After doing extensive research I have filled my amazon cart with over $700 worth of items and still need to get an RO/DI system and an ATO system (so about another $400). The tank that I am looking to buy is the BioCube 32. Does alsmost $1000 sound right to get a tank that size up and running? I knew I would be spending some serious money on this new hobby, but damn, I honestly didnt expect to drop that much just to get started. I feel that everything except the ATO system is 100% necessary but I  I would really like some input. 

Could anyone give an in depth list of the things that I should definitely buy to get my BioCube 32 up and running? I would really appreciate it.

Im going to attach some pictures of my current amazon list. Remembers this doesnt include the RO/DI system, ATO system, or the cured rock i want to get from Reef Cleaners

I really appreciate any input 

Capture.JPG

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

• Like 2
JonathanDillio
Just now, Travis said:

Yep, looks right to me. I just dropped 2 grand on a 70g setup

Dont get me wrong, I have the money to spend on it but I have NEVER been ok with spending money on myself. Its a weird "phobia", for lack of a better word, that I have had ever since I started making my own money when I was like 13. I have been so enthused about this whole process and then I added up my cart and almost had a panic attack.

• Like 3

If you cant stomach burning  $100 bills, this might not be for you. Lol

But seriously, yes this is an expensive hobby. Maybe instead of starting with $600 setup (tank and stand), you could get a simple 20 gallon tank and stand from petco. My first tank was a $15 10g tank from walmart that I setup ontop of a dresser. 

• Like 3
JonathanDillio
6 minutes ago, Travis said:

But seriously, yes this is an expensive hobby. Maybe instead of starting with $600 setup (tank and stand), you could get a simple 20 gallon tank and stand from petco. My first tank was a $15 10g tank from walmart that I setup ontop of a dresser. 

No, its definitely for me, just takes me a little to get over my money spending anxiety lol, and it helps to have guys like you letting me know that everything on my list is what i should get and that im not making and unnecessary newbie mistakes. 

Also, I just realized that i do not have a circulation pump on my list. Do you have any recommendations?  

Your list looks like it has two different sets of test kits. You really only need a kit to trst of amonia, nitrites, and nitrates when first starting a new tank. 

As for circulation, Jebao is sold on amazon. The PP-4 model would be great in that tank. Start with just one, add another later if you think you need more flow. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Travis said:

+1  No shame in starting with a simple tank from Petco (and the dollar a gallon sale makes it an incredible value!).  I've actually never gone bigger than 5.5 but even with my first real tank being that size, I still spent a good $300-400 getting all I needed.  For me it helps to break purchases up (like, get the testing stuff one week, get the light one week, etc.).

You most likely can get RO/DI or pre-mixed saltwater from an LFS to start with, and get an RO/DI in a couple months (or use distilled from the grocery store).  For an inexpensive powerhead you can look at MaxiJets or Koralias and then upgrade them down the road or something.  Others may have better suggestions.

• Like 6

try shopping around at marinedepot and brs.

i have noticed amazon to be overpriced very frequently on fish stuff.

• Like 7

Well, I might get some flack, but if I actually totaled it up I was prolly over 600 for a ten gallon. Worst part is I have tons of gear in a storage unit about 2500 miles away. 

Nah, it's more than that, I bought a lot here and there, not with the initial purchase. I hear about it too, the wife is the money manager, I just make it. Not a cheap hobby. 

And we're only dealing with small stuff. Fill your cart to start a 120 gallon, you'll feel better then. 

1 hour ago, JonathanDillio said:

Dont get me wrong, I have the money to spend on it but I have NEVER been ok with spending money on myself. Its a weird "phobia", for lack of a better word, that I have had ever since I started making my own money when I was like 13. I have been so enthused about this whole process and then I added up my cart and almost had a panic attack.

And I need this phobia you speak of. 

• Like 2

I wouldnt jump in with all brand new equipment. Go on to reef2reef and just buy used equipment over time i wish i knew about these sites when i first started reefing i spent 1000 bucks on gear from petco and nearly should of not spent anything near that... i just started a 10g IM tank. Tank was 99$, rock $40, sand  $10 built my light for $30 

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Travis said:

Your list looks like it has two different sets of test kits. You really only need a kit to trst of amonia, nitrites, and nitrates when first starting a new tank. 

As for circulation, Jebao is sold on amazon. The PP-4 model would be great in that tank. Start with just one, add another later if you think you need more flow. 

You can cycle with an ammonia test only. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

You can cycle with an ammonia test only. 

True, but you will want to keep an eye on nitrates before adding coral for sure. Truth be told, you probably don't  need the nitrite kit. 

• Like 1
docshipwreck

I researched and bought things piece meal for a few months before I was able to get everything wet. I know starting out you want new but check craigslist. Near me theress a biocube 29 WITH STAND minus the hood for 150 i think ( if my wife wouldnt kill me or If I had somewhere to put it I'd jump on it). I got my ATO there too, half of what I would have paid. 

Wait for dollar/gallon sale. Buy things here and there (once you decide what you want). I want to switch to Salifert test kits as I am using cheap API to start and they are 10 dollars cheaper on ebay then at my lfs and most retail sites.

You dont need 2 chemipures right away or the purigen for that matter. Depending how you cycle you might be cooking rocks for a week or 2. 

The refractometer is worth it. You may be able to use cheaper salt to start out and upgrade once you get some corals in there. 

The stand is up to you whether youre crafty or not or maybe something at a second hand furniture place you can refinish with relative ease.

Try to think ahead also as to what you see yourself with in 2/3 year and measure twice cut once so to speak. Only spend what you need.

Money is well spent on lighting ( all sorts of budget options, again what you want to do with it) and an RODI unit. I have a RO buddie and suits my 20L needs just well. 

• Like 3
Coral_chef

As someone who's been setting up his first biocube as well I say it's all reasonable, 

ways ive found to make the original start up cheaper.

use homer buckets instead of the 5 gallon handle buckets.

get your ro/di and saltwater from an LFS. 

Most lfs LFS will also test your water for free too. 

Also craigslist is your friend. 

• Like 2

I'm right there with you in wanting new but I'm ok with paying the premium. I only have a few hobbies and otherwise I'm very frugal with my money when it comes to things I need but don't want. I've learned (for my own happiness at least) if I'm going to do something for my own enjoyment I'm going all out. I'm currently $500 into a 3 gallon build and that only accounts for equipment, still have livestock, food, and some better testing equipment to go.  If it makes you happy and more importantly you can afford it and still live a comfortable life, go for it!  I do agree though as much as I love amazon for it's convenience and hassle free shopping it's not always the cheapest, do some searching and you'll find some better deals. The good thing about this hobby is (if you have the patience that is) there is a lot of time to research and find the best deals, not everything is need all at once to start up. 

Some of that you don't necessarily need at the beginning. I mean there are other ways to go about it for sure. I'm about $800 into my 40b with a cheap 40 dollar steel stand. That's a light, tank, heater, HOB filter, sand, rock, and some upgrades to my RO unit to add DI. Oh and the power heads and such. I still need some little things but I have a few weeks until I really need them. You can get just individual test kits for what you need at the moment which is mostly just PH, Ammonia, and Nitrite/Nitrate for cycling. I like the Seachem PH/Alkalinity and Nitrite/Nitrate tests, been having issues with their Ammonia test kit but like the API one I got today. I think the Seachem one will work better when my Ammonia levels are down a bit. Honestly though imo the Seachem ammonia kit is a bit finicky and the API one is pretty easy just fill tube up with water, drop 8 drops of 2 different solutions, shake well and wait 5 minutes. 

It just depends though, probably 100 different ways to start out and honestly the tank size doesn't seem to effect the starting budget much if it's below like 50 gallons. 

Some of that stuff you dont need or are overpriced.  What attracts you to the biocube in the first place?  Have you looked at other options?  IMO, there are much better AIOs out there.  

Best way to save money is to buy used.  Find a local reef club or forum.  For testing ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, skip the expensive Red Sea kit and get the API one.  When you need to test calcium and alk, then get Salifert or Red Sea.  If you are not doing SPS, you probably don't need to dose calcium or alk and don't need the test kit.  Just get it tested at LFS once in awhile.  Skip the Purigen and Chemipure Elite till they go on sale.  Sign up at DrsFosterAndSmith and wait for their 20% or 25% coupon.  

• Like 4

Depends on the system you want. You can do a far more affordable tank. There are many options in this hobby. 

The cheapest is a standard tank with hob filter, powerhead, heater, and a good light. 

I don't use an ato-manual top up takes 2 mins.

No dosers- manual dosing takes 2 mins.

I don't use chemipure- way over priced and didn't do any more for my tank than buying a container of seachem carbon and phosguard which lasts a hell of a lot longer for a lot less with better results. More control on product qty use too.

Chemipure doesn't last 4 mnths. Most change it monthly.

You could simply get the biocube, filter floss, heater, powerhead, carbon, test kits, salt. Rock and sand.

• Like 3
Nixperience

I would look at marinedepot.com for the same stuff and see how it adds up. Check out innovative marine aio as well. Yes you can shave off some money by buying basic tanks and HOB filters, but you will eventually upgrade to get what you want later and end up spending more in the long run. If you are willing to spend the money, get what you think you will be happy with and not want to change a year later. Do more research before making your purchase. Look at tank of the months and see what setups you like. Also, marine depot packs the hell out of their stuff, so you'll be less likely to receive something damaged. 

Nixperience

You can get Red Sea nano that comes with everything except heater and sand and water for $899 and it's top notch. Even comes with ato, light, skimmer. https://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_MAX_NANO_Complete_Reef_System_Black_Nano_Tank_with_Lighting_Stand_etc_20_29_Gallons-Red_Sea-RS40000-FIAQNCCKCKTT-vi.html

Or

IMG_1270.PNG

Either of these would be much nicer than the biocube imo. Just look at your options before pulling the trigger. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Some of that stuff you dont need or are overpriced.  What attracts you to the biocube in the first place?  Have you looked at other options?  IMO, there are much better AIOs out there.  

Best way to save money is to buy used.  Find a local reef club or forum.  For testing ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, skip the expensive Red Sea kit and get the API one.  When you need to test calcium and alk, then get Salifert or Red Sea.  If you are not doing SPS, you probably don't need to dose calcium or alk and don't need the test kit.  Just get it tested at LFS once in awhile.  Skip the Purigen and Chemipure Elite till they go on sale.  Sign up at DrsFosterAndSmith and wait for their 20% or 25% coupon.  

Ug. API. Not for ammonia 

24 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

You can get Red Sea nano that comes with everything except heater and sand and water for $899 and it's top notch. Even comes with ato, light, skimmer. https://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_MAX_NANO_Complete_Reef_System_Black_Nano_Tank_with_Lighting_Stand_etc_20_29_Gallons-Red_Sea-RS40000-FIAQNCCKCKTT-vi.html

Or

IMG_1270.PNG

Either of these would be much nicer than the biocube imo. Just look at your options before pulling the trigger. 

Great little tank and almost grabbed one as my local dealer owes me..............

A lot of tank combos out there. Just take your time and get what works best for you!

• Like 1

I feel you here, and if you got the tools and decent at DIY and heres what I'm thinking for me:

Currently I have about 2/3s of a biocube/stand paid  at a local lfs, and seriously thinking about either jumping on their  75g used with stand , crappy light, crappy sump (basically 2 chambers with bioballs in one and a return pump in another for same price as biocube and stand, or a 40 breeder drilled, with eshopss overflow box, diy stand (or cheap metal stand), diy sump. The aquen 40g breeder dimensions are 36inches long, 18 inches wide, and 17 inches tall, it has nice dimensions. Its almost more a 45gallon tank, 50% more water volume. One of the big things about 40 breeders is they have a lot floor space compared to height. This makes aquascaping easier by being able to build out versus up with a full on rock wall build. It can also make lighting easier because the light doesn't have to penetrate as deep. 

one of the things I'm thinking about by doing the 40b, is some of the equipment (protein skimmer, sumps, possibly lights) i can transfer to a larger system as long as i don't jump super big.. ex: 40 to around 75 or 90 or so.

some minor issues with going this way is lighting and closed tank.   Supposedly the biocube comes with adequate lighting for low to medium lighting. so that's a nice savings of $100 bucks or more.  So you could pay a little more for lighting on 40b.  Also the biocube is closed tank, so less evaporation and no chance  for fish to jump out.   Ive seen diy screen tops for open tanks. 

My personal opinion: I would seriously take a look at a 40b tank.  It has a lot of pluses going for it for not much more money.

Also for powerheads for more flow in tank, aqamai kps ($119) or jebao pp4 (50 to 60 bucsk on amazon) is the cheapest flow/power controllable that i know of.