Coral Vue Hydros

40b rescue tank.

Nidilsky

Parameters are great. 2 part has dramatically accelerated LPS coral growth. Duncan has no less than 4 buds and is quite possibly my favorite thing in the world. Acans, favites and favia are nuts. One of my acans gets pissed if I don't feed it...swear to god, every day. Really,  I think my favia is a wee bit too close. Dunno.

Ich is still present, but my wrasse has begun to accept brine shrimp(but only the spuralina, not the garlic). I had a massive copepod hatch and he has been pecking like crazy. Both gobies are infected, but show little stress.

Hospital tank is in the works.  Will begin the transition in a week or so. As I will be travelling for a while.

Mangroves are still alive, but I really think they need more light than I am providing.

Oh, my bird's nest is growing bigger every day, seemily.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. Been a while since I posted anything. Life is moving in a crazy, way to much to do kind of way.

Parameters are surprisingly excellent. Nitrates hovering below 5 ppm.

Have decided to see if I can wait out the ich problem, mainly because I just don't have the time and the fish themselves seem healthy. I will not be adding ANY more fish, despite the fact that I would love an algae eater on board.

My bioload at this point is perfect, seeing as I can only devote 2 hours at the most a night.  I am still dosing 2 part daily and reef plus the day after every water change.

I wish I had some help some days, but who needs sleep anyway.

1499651797167846214802.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. Effed up water change. My hose fell and pulled my pump of the side of my bucket. In doing so, it pulled the piece that holds the impeller down and reversed the flow. Of course, I was across the room scrubbing sum stuff and it emptied about 5 g on to the floor.  Gonna go hit something for about 45 minutes.

6 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

Wow. Effed up water change. My hose fell and pulled my pump of the side of my bucket. In doing so, it pulled the piece that holds the impeller down and reversed the flow. Of course, I was across the room scrubbing sum stuff and it emptied about 5 g on to the floor.  Gonna go hit something for about 45 minutes.

I'm sorry, and sorry you've had so much going on. 

You sound like someone who is capable of accomplishing quite a lot, but even super achievers need to breathe sometimes. 

• Like 1
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

I'm sorry, and sorry you've had so much going on. 

You sound like someone who is capable of accomplishing quite a lot, but even super achievers need to breathe sometimes. 

I appreciate the kind words. Feel much better. I think my neighbors think I'm crazy though.

It has been an overwhelming couple of months. Still, I have to keep going!

Parameters are good. Nitrates are a bit high. Above 5 ppm. Although, I did blow out all of my rock and vacuumed the gravel. And I ended up doing a 1/3 of a tank wc. Will test again today after work.

Getting some GHA.  Removed all my heads and heater and scrubbed them down good. Also, scrubbed portions of rock and my turbans (they brought the stuff in to my tank). Cyano bloom has levelled out and was manageable as far as clean up. Found some grape macro growing on one of my power heads. The stuff is happy. 

This weekend is hospital tank set up. Need to get it going, as I could really use a blenny to clean up my snails for me. All the fish are healthy, except for Nigel...gbg...who looks pretty rough these days. 

Vemetids are annoying. They keep showing up on my blastos, which obviously are struggling because of them. Reading about them gives me some urgency to get the hospital tank going, as my ich feeding schedule(twice a day) has kept them breeding.

There is more to do.

1 minute ago, Nidilsky said:

I appreciate the kind words. Feel much better. I think my neighbors think I'm crazy though.

It has been an overwhelming couple of months. Still, I have to keep going!

Well it sounds to me like you feel a little crazy (and understandably so) & what we believe we are internally shows on the outside no matter how we try to hide it, so yeah, they probably do think you're crazy. :wacko:;):lol:

One thing that helps me when I'm in an overwhelming spot like you are & need to motivate myself to keep going, is to choose something small that matters to me that I will "reward" myself with if and when I reach a necessary short-term goal that is in front of me. 

For example, Let me set a scene for you:

I'm a mother w/2 young children, and I just got custody of 2 more children as a result of my alcoholic sibling going over the deep end when their oldest child was killed. 

I love them all dearly but am feeling overwhelmed by the idea of meeting everyone's needs, and scared to death I'll fail them. 

In addition, I recently took advantage of a local craigslist listing & got a ridiculous deal on a tank setup that is exactly what I need to build the Dream Tank setup I've been creating in my mind for the last 5 yrs. 

It seems crazy to take that on in the middle of all the other chaos, but it was too good to pass up. It's a really big deal to me personally & I'm honestly scared I'm getting in too deep and I'll screw it up. 

It all matters to me quite a bit and it has all turned into this huge, overwhelming storm-cloud that is looming over me. 

So.....

I tell myself that if I get the kids all bathed & help them get their homework done, I will reward myself with the delicious ice-cream bar that's been calling my name all day from the freezer. 

I accomplish the goal, so I tell the kids I'm going outside to the deck to enjoy a treat & they're not allowed to interrupt. I give them a cell phone & tell them to call 911 if someone's head starts to fall off or something. 

I get 10 mins uninterrupted peace & quiet to breathe & enjoy myself, and this allows me to laugh instead of freak out when I go back inside & find that they've rubbed butter all over the puppy in my absence. 

Instead of flipping out, I'm able to grab all the kids & the puppy, some bubble bath and a kiddie pool and get everyone cleaned up out in the backyard while being silly and crazy at the same time. 

Everyone goes to bed happy. 

The next day I tell myself that if I get all the used SW equipment cleaned up in a vinegar bath I will reward myself with doing a "fake" shopping trip on LiveAquaria to pick out my fish list for the new Dream Tank. 

I accomplish the goal, my fake virtual shopping trip garners me a list of some really cool fish I hadn't even thought of, and I'm able to come back at the tank project with more energy & enthusiasm. 

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helped. 

p.s.-- I get the Dream Tank wet today. ;)

• Like 3
On 7/20/2017 at 7:08 AM, Weetabix7 said:

Well it sounds to me like you feel a little crazy (and understandably so) & what we believe we are internally shows on the outside no matter how we try to hide it, so yeah, they probably do think you're crazy. :wacko:;):lol:

One thing that helps me when I'm in an overwhelming spot like you are & need to motivate myself to keep going, is to choose something small that matters to me that I will "reward" myself with if and when I reach a necessary short-term goal that is in front of me. 

For example, Let me set a scene for you:

I'm a mother w/2 young children, and I just got custody of 2 more children as a result of my alcoholic sibling going over the deep end when their oldest child was killed. 

I love them all dearly but am feeling overwhelmed by the idea of meeting everyone's needs, and scared to death I'll fail them. 

In addition, I recently took advantage of a local craigslist listing & got a ridiculous deal on a tank setup that is exactly what I need to build the Dream Tank setup I've been creating in my mind for the last 5 yrs. 

It seems crazy to take that on in the middle of all the other chaos, but it was too good to pass up. It's a really big deal to me personally & I'm honestly scared I'm getting in too deep and I'll screw it up. 

It all matters to me quite a bit and it has all turned into this huge, overwhelming storm-cloud that is looming over me. 

So.....

I tell myself that if I get the kids all bathed & help them get their homework done, I will reward myself with the delicious ice-cream bar that's been calling my name all day from the freezer. 

I accomplish the goal, so I tell the kids I'm going outside to the deck to enjoy a treat & they're not allowed to interrupt. I give them a cell phone & tell them to call 911 if someone's head starts to fall off or something. 

I get 10 mins uninterrupted peace & quiet to breathe & enjoy myself, and this allows me to laugh instead of freak out when I go back inside & find that they've rubbed butter all over the puppy in my absence. 

Instead of flipping out, I'm able to grab all the kids & the puppy, some bubble bath and a kiddie pool and get everyone cleaned up out in the backyard while being silly and crazy at the same time. 

Everyone goes to bed happy. 

The next day I tell myself that if I get all the used SW equipment cleaned up in a vinegar bath I will reward myself with doing a "fake" shopping trip on LiveAquaria to pick out my fish list for the new Dream Tank. 

I accomplish the goal, my fake virtual shopping trip garners me a list of some really cool fish I hadn't even thought of, and I'm able to come back at the tank project with more energy & enthusiasm. 

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helped. 

p.s.-- I get the Dream Tank wet today. ;)

How did I miss this post? Oh, sometimes I am amazed by people! Just when everything seems so overwhelming and gloomy, someone who you have never really even met takes some precious time to try and help. Weetie, you are so awesome.

I won't lie, the last two months have felt like 2 years. So much stuff just fell off a cliff and into my lap (not high class stuff, but real problems). On top of working 2 jobs, going to school again, trying to see my daughter: my grandmother died, my mom is seriously on the edge psychologically, my dad had heart surgery, my daughter got braces and a broken leg.

Also, my refrigerator died, I had to replace the gutters, window wells and most of the plumbing in my house(it has rained almost every f@$king day and flooded my basement every time:bling::huh::o:lol:...dont know if those emotes cover the psychosis i briefly experienced.Is there an insane and exhausted emote? ).

Oh, ich and cyano. Lol. 

• Like 1

Whew!  Sounds like quite a rough patch for you!  Focusing on my reef has helped me channel some of my frustration at how crazy things have been for me the last year into something productive, and given me something to look forward to and enjoy.  Hope your tanky can be the same. :)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

How did I miss this post? Oh, sometimes I am amazed by people! Just when everything seems so overwhelming and gloomy, someone who you have never really even met takes some precious time to try and help. Weetie, you are so awesome.

I won't lie, the last two months have felt like 2 years. So much stuff just fell off a cliff and into my lap (not high class stuff, but real problems). On top of working 2 jobs, going to school again, trying to see my daughter: my grandmother died, my mom is seriously on the edge psychologically, my dad had heart surgery, my daughter got braces and a broken leg.

Also, my refrigerator died, I had to replace the gutters, window wells and most of the plumbing in my house(it has rained almost every f@$king day and flooded my basement every time:bling::huh::o:lol:...dont know if those emotes cover the psychosis i briefly experienced.Is there an insane and exhausted emote? ).

Oh, ich and cyano. Lol. 

YW. 

Life is crazy, it just is. 

But..... there's good stuff too, and when you're nose deep in the crazy it's super important to be reminded of that and refocus yourself on it. 

What I've said above does work, I've had to practice it lots. 

• Like 1

Parameters are good. 

Crazy cyano bloom. It's everywhere, covering everything.

Pretty sure Nigel is dead. Haven't seen an ammonia spike though or his actual carcass. He almost never left the brood cave, so dunno.

No signs of ich on any other fish. Spike is no longer flashing. 

I will cease my ich feeding schedule, and no coral frenzy starting today. 

WC tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Parameters are...better. Nigel has to be dead. Haven't seen him in about 2 weeks and had an ammonia spike up to .25 ppm. Did a 50% wc. Will test parameters again today.

Tossed most of my macro algae due to the massive amounts of cyano (everything was in need of pruning anyway).Changed the lighting timers to less than 6 hours of light per day. Feeding every 3rd day. Have begun to wash all brine that is fed. No coral frenzy until cyano is under control. Removed by hand as much cyano as I could and added a bag of gfo to the fuge (thinking about adding GAC). Filter floss changed daily. 

Good news is that no fish show any signs of ich. Hen and Spike are extremely healthy looking and Spike no longer flashes. My clowns never developed the parasite.

More later.

29 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

Parameters are...better. Nigel has to be dead. Haven't seen him in about 2 weeks and had an ammonia spike up to .25 ppm. Did a 50% wc. Will test parameters again today.

Tossed most of my macro algae due to the massive amounts of cyano (everything was in need of pruning anyway).Changed the lighting timers to less than 6 hours of light per day. Feeding every 3rd day. Have begun to wash all brine that is fed. No coral frenzy until cyano is under control. Removed by hand as much cyano as I could and added a bag of gfo to the fuge (thinking about adding GAC). Filter floss changed daily. 

Good news is that no fish show any signs of ich. Hen and Spike are extremely healthy looking and Spike no longer flashes. My clowns never developed the parasite.

More later.

Hmmm. 

Glad you're still in the game, sorry about Nigel. 

Good to hear about Hen and Spike, sounds like you're taking good steps to get things under control. 

On 8/13/2017 at 0:33 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Hmmm. 

Glad you're still in the game, sorry about Nigel. 

Good to hear about Hen and Spike, sounds like you're taking good steps to get things under control. 

Yep. Still going. Cyano SUCKS. Looks like like I didn't do anything to the tank. It literally grows faster than I can clean it up. Another joyous thing, it appears as if flatworms have arrived.

12 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

Yep. Still going. Cyano SUCKS. Looks like like I didn't do anything to the tank. It literally grows faster than I can clean it up. Another joyous thing, it appears as if flatworms have arrived.

Hey, don't worry about the flatworms too much just yet. 

There's a couple of different types and it's entirely possible that you have the ones that aren't a big deal. 

I've just recently started to see them in my tank and mine are the benign ones. 

They're small and a very light tan that is almost clear and they don't reproduce in plague numbers or take over. 

I've had these before and they seem to act much like Pods.

If it's a big deal to you, I believe Wrasses will eat them though. 

48 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

Mine are red and yellow. They seem to be on the glass and sometimes on rock. Have yet to see Spike eat any.

I've heard that Springer's Damsels will also eat them. 

Springers are great pest eradicators and are not aggressive like other damsels. 

5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I've heard that Springer's Damsels will also eat them. 

Springers are great pest eradicators and are not aggressive like other damsels. 

Thanks for the advice. Gonna wait another 2 or 3 months for more fish. Anyway, Spike (he's my possum wrasse) was pecking at the glass about an hour ago. 

God, I am not the type to freak out all the time. Don't know what my deal is. I like challenges...that is why I started doing this.

Yer a good one, Weetie.

Just now, Nidilsky said:

Thanks for the advice. Gonna wait another 2 or 3 months for more fish. Anyway, Spike (he's my possum wrasse) was pecking at the glass about an hour ago. 

God, I am not the type to freak out all the time. Don't know what my deal is. I like challenges...that is why I started doing this.

Yer a good one, Weetie.

Well, you've been in the midst of a lot of stressful situations and that can cause you to get tunnel vision and get overly focused on the problems. 

You need something to lift your mind above the problems, even if it's only temporary. 

Even if it's short-term, it can help cause a positive shift and restore perspective.

See my last long post to you. 

I have been where you are, majorly, big-time. 

Read the first post of my Dream Tank thread to get a snapshot of that. 

(and that's really only a thumbnail of 20+ years)

It's the first thread linked in my Sig.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Been insanely busy...still. 

Parameters of the tank are good, but cyano has taken over. I continuously extract massive amounts. I have done water changes of 5 g a day for the past week. By the time I'm done, it has started to emerge again.

Added a mixture of carbon and phoslock to the fuge, changed the lighting to 4 hours on, 20 hours off. The fuge light gets about 3 hours a day (when I get up to when I leave). Spot Feeding occurs every 3 days with rinsed brine shrimp and a couple of flakes. 

I have removed most of my macroalgae as the cyano seems to grow the quickest on them, which smothered and killed them.

Upside is that all other life in the tank is thriving. Including copious amounts of flatworms, which other than being everywhere, don't seem to be effecting anything to its detriment and seems to be the only things in the tank that feeds on cyano.

The fuge still has no cyano, other than the filter floss, which confuses me.

6 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

Been insanely busy...still. 

Parameters of the tank are good, but cyano has taken over. I continuously extract massive amounts. I have done water changes of 5 g a day for the past week. By the time I'm done, it has started to emerge again.

Added a mixture of carbon and phoslock to the fuge, changed the lighting to 4 hours on, 20 hours off. The fuge light gets about 3 hours a day (when I get up to when I leave). Spot Feeding occurs every 3 days with rinsed brine shrimp and a couple of flakes. 

I have removed most of my macroalgae as the cyano seems to grow the quickest on them, which smothered and killed them.

Upside is that all other life in the tank is thriving. Including copious amounts of flatworms, which other than being everywhere, don't seem to be effecting anything to its detriment and seems to be the only things in the tank that feeds on cyano.

The fuge still has no cyano, other than the filter floss, which confuses me.

Yuck, sorry about the cyano!  Glad things seem to otherwise be ok though.

• Like 1
On 9/24/2017 at 12:28 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Yuck, sorry about the cyano!  Glad things seem to otherwise be ok though.

Thanks, Lula! I'm doing good, just busy. 

Yeah, the cyano sucks. Hoping the gfo will help. I have been real stingy with food, as well. If it it does clear up in a week or so, I will try a lights out period of 3 days.

• Like 1