SaltCritters.com

40b rescue tank.

Nidilsky

Parameters are solid. 

Dosed 2 part normal level. 

Beginning reef plus in the morning at 10ml.

1st coral casualty...1 head on candy cane turned to stone. Considering moving a rock to shade the rest as I 'poxyed them in there(I was dumb, all better now, though). Should I clip the dead head?

Spike is still acclimating. Have been showering his cave with brine every 4 hours or so. Hopefully he's eating enough.  

Built a screen lid. The glass one gets too dirty and I listen to Weetie.:mellow:<--that's me listening. 

• Like 1

Parameters are straight. 

Outbreak of spirorbid worms or vemetid snails. I did find a vemetid on each of my LPS corals, 2 on my blasts. They appear to be a different species then the ones everywhere else....and I do mean everywhere. I scraped about 100 off my glass. They appeared literally overnight.

1497057965572789544591.jpg

7 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

Then there is this. Coming out from under my micromussa.

14970585387561481452339.jpg

It's a nice alien. 

Pineapple Sponge or Q-tip sponge. 

Cute, harmless little buggers, I have them growing in my Waterfall Pico. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

Do you know what those other guys are. They are flipping everywhere.

The white curlicue worms are spirorbid worms.  I just found a few on my first few on my wall yesterday. :happydance: All the vermetids I've had had dark purplish reddish color tubes and might be spiraled at the bottom where they attach but usually poked straight up from there. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

The white curlicue worms are spirorbid worms.  I just found a few on my first few on my wall yesterday. :happydance: All the vermetids I've had had dark purplish reddish color tubes and might be spiraled at the bottom where they attach but usually poked straight up from there. 

There is lots and lots ovem. I like the happy dance thing.

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

It's a nice alien. 

Pineapple Sponge or Q-tip sponge. 

Cute, harmless little buggers, I have them growing in my Waterfall Pico. 

Can I move it? Or will it be ok where it is? Its really cool lookin'!

graftobny142
On 5/30/2017 at 9:11 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Autocorrect gets me all the time lol.

Once was texting my husband about Blowing Rock, a town near Boone in the NC mountains, and autocorrect changed Rock to Rick... :rolleyes:  :blush:  :lol:

Oh, and more macros are always good. ;)

Blowing Rock is a beautiful town, I go there every July 4th for the fireworks.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, themummra said:

Blowing Rock is a beautiful town, I go there every July 4th for the fireworks.

Ooh I bet that's pretty!  I hadn't been there in years, wish we had more time to bum around!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Ooh I bet that's pretty!  I hadn't been there in years, wish we had more time to bum around!

Where is Blowing Ri...Rock?

10 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

Where is Blowing Ri...Rock?

It's in the mountains of northwestern NC, near Boone.  West of Winston-Salem.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

There is lots and lots ovem. I like the happy dance thing.

Can I move it? Or will it be ok where it is? Its really cool lookin'!

You can leave it or move it, it'll be fine either way. 

You may start seeing them in your fuge after a bit too. 

• Like 1

Holy crap! Gobies hatched. Couple hundred.

Right in the middle of a water change.  I don't have a fry net. Thank God my 3.5 is showing no ammonia or nitrites. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

Holy crap! Gobies hatched. Couple hundred.

Right in the middle of a water change.  I don't have a fry net. Thank God my 3.5 is showing no ammonia or nitrites. 

Whaaaaaat???? 

Holy cow. 

Yep, guess fish food is right. 

If you had a net you could put em in the fuge, but they'd be hard to rear long-term. 

Get a video??

Pretty crazy and cool all at once!!!

28 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Whaaaaaat???? 

Holy cow. 

Yep, guess fish food is right. 

If you had a net you could put em in the fuge, but they'd be hard to rear long-term. 

Get a video??

Pretty crazy and cool all at once!!!

I scooped up a boat load and loaded em in my 3.5g. I need to get an airstone and some rotifers. There still is several dozen in the display, but they are gonna have a rough road ahead of em. In like 10 minutes.:unsure:

• Like 1

Parameters in display are all within acceptable levels. 

Gobies hatched at 9:30p 

Used my baster and a Tupperware bowl to transfer them, along with spirorbid worms:blink: to my 3.5g.

Tomorrow, if they survive the night, will get an airstone and some rotifers from LAA.

Spike, Rufus and the clowns are well fed. Seem to like goby fry a whole bunch. They got their free lunch, but the powerheads are back in play, so they will have to work for it now.

One of the most event-free water changes ever...well, cept the whole goby thing.

Permanently attached the bird's nest to the spot it liked the best. 

Both acans continue to show signs of new growth. Haven't decided what to do about the sponge.

The trumpet is allllllllmooooooost 3 heads. Soon to be 4.

Evrybodies happy. I'm pooped.

• Like 1

Oh, my macros! The grape kelp is going nuts and my red titan looks absolutely beautiful.

My halimeda on the other hand is a wreck. Keep having to fish bits and pieces if it out of the tank. Have to do some reading.

The crabs ate the maidens hair again. Lol. I had a thought that they may just be yanking it to get to the pods and it's eggs.

Chaeto is doing good, but I worry about it becoming to compacted. It doesn't roll very well in the fuge.

My mangroves are putting out tons of roots, but little to no top side growth.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

Oh, my macros! The grape kelp is going nuts and my red titan looks absolutely beautiful.

My halimeda on the other hand is a wreck. Keep having to fish bits and pieces if it out of the tank. Have to do some reading.

The crabs ate the maidens hair again. Lol. I had a thought that they may just be yanking it to get to the pods and it's eggs.

Chaeto is doing good, but I worry about it becoming to compacted. It doesn't roll very well in the fuge.

My mangroves are putting out tons of roots, but little to no top side growth.

Not sure what to tell you on the Halimeda, it's usually not difficult. 

Calcium levels are good, right?

If there's anything left of the Maiden's Hair, put it in the fuge and give it a chance to regrow/bounce back. 

Maybe try breaking the chaeto down into smaller clumps and space them throughout the fuge. 

No testing. Doing a water change tomorrow, will test then.

Doing some vemetid removal (tweezers and epoxy. They are on 3 of my 5 LPS corals. The ones on my merletti is bad news...grew right through the center of the skeleton. Is there a better way to get it out? I'm afraid I might injury the coral).

Getting a lot of algae on my glass lately. Hmmm. Gonna cut back on the reef plus me thinks. 

Fish had ich for a while, fed em garlicky stuff for the past week. No more ich. 

Had to pull all the sponge. There was 5 growing on my acan. They can find a better spot, I'm sure. I also remove some strange growths that were impeding 2 of the heads....almost looked like clear plastic or sugar, weird.

Placed live rock for the mangroves as their substrate. Kinda worried about the smaller one as it is just peeking above the water line. Had to do something as the was literally no growth upwards, just roots.

Weetie, the white stuff on the grape kelp appears to some kind of calcification as the crabs eat it all the time. Wonder what the heck it is.

Spike, the possum wrasse is doing just fine. He likes to challenge me all the time. He swims toward the glass, shows me how big he is and flicks his fins . Cute. I am glad he thinks I am his only threat, because he leaves everybody else alone...so far. I am slightly worried about how much he is eating. He generally doesn't eat when I feed. I know he eats pods all the time, but...