Pod Your Reef

What's the recommended size tank required to house a couple ofocellaris clown fish and what anemone should I get

Urry88

I personally like the AOI because they have a nice clean look with nothing hanging off the side or back of the tank.  I also like the lid, helps with evaporation.  Wherever you place it, be sure you can get to it, open the lid, and be able to work  on it.  Nothing worse then having it in a tight spot or corner and not enough room to perform maintanence.  

My only comment about cycling the tank is it will let you know when it's done (the test kit will be your best friend).  You can't say it will be ready in X amount of days.  Keep reading and have fun :).  

After much debate with my parents today and all these comments about everything and a little reading on my dinner break I think I'm going to go with tropical fish instead. It may be to much work with working been a single parent and having a marine tank. So my new question is they any similar looking tropical fish to clown fish and/or what's the best type of fish for a beginner. Thanks in advance 

Nixperience

I think a koi swordtail is your best option. A clown loach gets to be a foot long. Or a goldfish. 

yungKitten

@Urry88 I'm sorry for being snarky. I think a beta fish would be an excellent place to start. They don't look much like a clown fish, but they are beautiful and nearly impossible to kill. The initial investment is minimal and if the interest in aquariums proves to more than a passing phase you can upgrade with ease. As far as tropical fish that look like clowns the clown loach is a decent choice. This will be significantly more challenging than the beta, but they do vaguely resemble marine clown fish. wUGh6E9JF54-1.jpg

Nixperience
1 minute ago, yungKitten said:

@Urry88 I'm sorry for being snarky. I think a beta fish would be an excellent place to start. They don't look much like a clown fish, but they are beautiful and nearly impossible to kill. The initial investment is minimal and if the interest in aquariums proves to more than a passing phase you can upgrade with ease. As far as tropical fish that look like clowns the clown loach is a decent choice. This will be significantly more challenging than the beta, but they do vaguely resemble marine clown fish. wUGh6E9JF54-1.jpg

12" fish lol

yungKitten
2 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

12" fish lol

I did say "significantly more challenging" ;)
Plus generally only reach 5 to 7" in captivity. Not that that is much better.

Cheers for the tips guys. Gunna take him to the big pet store next week after our holidays and see what he seems to like the most then shop around for a decent tank because all the ones mentioned here seem to cost a fortune to import them to the UK. Still got a whole month to decide one what set up yet so plenty of time to shop for the right things and get all info needed, thanks again you all been a great help

You're still going to have similar maintenance needs with a fresh water tank. Water changes, filter, cleaning, etc. You won't have to mix salt though. 

I'm sure there are AIO tanks available in europe though. 

• 2 weeks later...

IF going fresh,   20g tank with marineland penguin 200 would be solid..   and relatively cheap.   here in the stats  can get a 20g for 30, marineland 200 for 30 or less.   

fish wise: Maybe look at dalmation mollies..   you can get some zebra danios or giant danios or white clouds for active fast swimming fish ( they dart like crazy) and then get like 2 mollies to chill around.

GregEmmitte

I have a BTA in a 6 month old 5 gallon that ice changed the water on 4 times. He's in there out of necessity, kept moving around the tank. I still don't know what to do with the tank. Mostly I just use it to make sure new corals are pest free.

everywhere I've read says a minimum of 30 gallons for anemones though.

IMG_2827.JPG

Archived