Coral Vue Hydros

cycling with live sand and rocks

Milky Way

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, your right on track for a cycled tank. Test the nitrates and see if they are increasing too. I know its hard, but just let it do its thing. You'll be surprised at how quickly it cycles out once it starts the process. Ive literally seen Nitrite and Ammonia goto zero after a day when they were high the previous day. Nature is an awesome force and should not be tampered with.......Unless you are prepared to battle it. I would be in a few days you can do a water change and start adding the CUC.

Im in the middle of cycling some stuff too. 

IMG_3681.JPG

1 minute ago, Hirsh said:

Nature is an awesome force and should not be tampered with.......Unless you are prepared to battle it.

Literally laughed aloud.

ammonia is 0,50 today

nitrates went up 5ppm

so exited..............

what corals can i get later on for a new established tank???

5 minutes ago, Milky Way said:

ammonia is 0,50 today

nitrates went up 5ppm

so exited..............

Zoa's are nice and/or mushrooms....I love xenia, but there will be people here that don't, green star polyps are easy...but there is plenty of info on livestock sites about water parameters and such, just read, read, read and compare what you have read to what your LFS says...meaning intermediate, medium or advanced corals...soon, the fun starts.... ;-)

2 hours ago, Milky Way said:

ammonia is 0,50 today

nitrates went up 5ppm

so exited..............

Hooray!!

GSP and Mushrooms/Ricordea are great starter corals. 

I'm one of those who actually like Xenia, that's a good starter one too. 

Nitrate is also 0?  That's surprising.

I actually have some pukani rocks curing in a bucket for at least 3 months now, and I still test high nitrItes (0 ammonia and very high nitrAtes).  I don't know if I should blame the MB7 that I add twice a week or the NeoMarine salt mix (since it's taken so long, I have done 2 water changes with NeoMarine when the nitrites went clear off the scale in seconds as opposed to the 5 minutes API indicates).  Either way, I blame Brightwell...:lol: Last night I did a water change with Tropic Marin salt.  We'll see what happens.  

Is there any chance that rocks can be bad?  

I bought these rocks when I started my tank 2 years ago, and they've been in a closed plastic bag in a box ever since.  When I cycled other rocks from the same shipment for my first tank, I used IO Reef Crystals and Seachem Stability.  At that time, the cycle took about a month until all ammonia and nitrites were 0. (Maybe less, I was being patient - a.k.a. lazy - and didn't bother testing between the first week and the end of a month)  So it seems the difference would be either the salt or bacterial additive...  Anyone have ideas?

Probably just a ton of die off cycling off. Been doing same thing with some rock and am surprised it's not done cycling. 

5 hours ago, Milky Way said:

Guuuuuuuyyysssssss!!!!

Ammonia , nitrite and nitrate are 0!!!!!!!!

Gonna do my first 25% water change this evening !!!

Let the stocking begin! Congrats and go slow. 

6 hours ago, Milky Way said:

Guuuuuuuyyysssssss!!!!

Ammonia , nitrite and nitrate are 0!!!!!!!!

Gonna do my first 25% water change this evening !!!

Hooraaaay!!!!

I was actually wondering about you and your cycling just this morning. 

8 hours ago, holy carp said:

Nitrate is also 0?  That's surprising.

I actually have some pukani rocks curing in a bucket for at least 3 months now, and I still test high nitrItes (0 ammonia and very high nitrAtes).  I don't know if I should blame the MB7 that I add twice a week or the NeoMarine salt mix (since it's taken so long, I have done 2 water changes with NeoMarine when the nitrites went clear off the scale in seconds as opposed to the 5 minutes API indicates).  Either way, I blame Brightwell...:lol: Last night I did a water change with Tropic Marin salt.  We'll see what happens.  

Is there any chance that rocks can be bad?  

I bought these rocks when I started my tank 2 years ago, and they've been in a closed plastic bag in a box ever since.  When I cycled other rocks from the same shipment for my first tank, I used IO Reef Crystals and Seachem Stability.  At that time, the cycle took about a month until all ammonia and nitrites were 0. (Maybe less, I was being patient - a.k.a. lazy - and didn't bother testing between the first week and the end of a month)  So it seems the difference would be either the salt or bacterial additive...  Anyone have ideas?

idk...................i've purchased my live rocks in LFS with is 5 minutes away from my house. I've placed it in my tank as son as i got home so the good bacteria wouldn't die.

i think the live sand which i purchased from Amazon made a huuuuuuge difference. It came in wet with water in the bag. They claimed that it's fully cycled and has millions of nitrifying bacteria, so i think the sand made a big difference, but not sure

Good evening my fiends!!!!

Ive just done my first water change and found smthiing weird on my rocks. 

Who knows what is this??? Picture # 1??? i have a lots of those all over the rocks????

17965104_1881493748780258_241828879_n.jpg

17910832_1881493755446924_803320159_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, Milky Way said:

Good evening my fiends!!!!

Ive just done my first water change and found smthiing weird on my rocks. 

Who knows what is this??? Picture # 1??? i have a lots of those all over the rocks????

17965104_1881493748780258_241828879_n.jpg

17910832_1881493755446924_803320159_n.jpg

looks like someth. wants to grow out of that round thing

100% positive that pic #1 are alien pods, hatching their young under the sea away from our eyes,

I would monitor those closely and #2 may be the antenna they use to communicate to their home planet....maybe....

21 minutes ago, reef-luva said:

100% positive that pic #1 are alien pods, hatching their young under the sea away from our eyes,

I would monitor those closely and #2 may be the antenna they use to communicate to their home planet....maybe....

ahahahahahah

I'm afraid that pic #1 could be aiptasia 

Simulated Fish
2 hours ago, Milky Way said:

ahahahahahah

I'm afraid that pic #1 could be aiptasia 

Nah it's not do worries, is it soft? Looks more like a barnacle too me

17 minutes ago, holy carp said:

Yeah, cute misbars.  

Are those little snails reef safe?  They are comical.

Bumble Bee Snails... They are reef safe but if there isn't enough food for them they can eat other snails.

1 hour ago, NanoSteve said:

Bumble Bee Snails... They are reef safe but if there isn't enough food for them they can eat other snails.

I thought bumblebee snails ate microfauna just like sifting stars did? I suppose they're still reef safe, but in a small tank they may do a number on smaller tank life :P

Archived