Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Keeping SPS under Kessil A80

HighCurrent

2 hours ago, HighCurrent said:

Thank you!! I am getting great growth out of most things but I can't get the PE I'm looking for from my acropora : /

I am from Fort Wayne. How about yourself?

Feed them some reef roids

• Like 1
HighCurrent
10 minutes ago, Hirsh said:

Feed them some reef roids

I started this week. How much are you feeding and how frequent? If you don't mind sharing.

chipmunkofdoom2
2 hours ago, gmda said:

no, i don't dosing nothing i just make water changes every week I think i got good numbers magnesium=1480, calcium=480 alk=9  ph-7.8 to 8.2

Those numbers are consistent with what I get from IO. Mg is usually around 1,400, CA is about 430 for me, and Alk is usually between 10 and 11.

I feed them 3x week. Its probably about an 1/8 of tsp. I turn the pumps off after the lights are off and use a pipette to target feed the corals. I give them about 5-10 min to feed and then turn the pumps back on. 

6 minutes ago, chipmunkofdoom2 said:

Those numbers are consistent with what I get from IO. Mg is usually around 1,400, CA is about 430 for me, and Alk is usually between 10 and 11.

Maybe you are lacking trace elements. IO isn't very strong in this category. 

HighCurrent
5 minutes ago, Hirsh said:

I feed them 3x week. Its probably about an 1/8 of tsp. I turn the pumps off after the lights are off and use a pipette to target feed the corals. I give them about 5-10 min to feed and then turn the pumps back on. 

Maybe you are lacking trace elements. IO isn't very strong in this category. 

I'll give my tank some more target feedings then. I just got a Julian's Thing so that will make it easier for sure.

I know that last bit wasn't pointed at me but I also use IO. Do you think that using a salt like Fritz would be better? Also, I dose ESV B-Ionic. Does that contain the type of trace elements you are referring to? 

1 minute ago, HighCurrent said:

I'll give my tank some more target feedings then. I just got a Julian's Thing so that will make it easier for sure.

I know that last bit wasn't pointed at me but I also use IO. Do you think that using a salt like Fritz would be better? Also, I dose ESV B-Ionic. Does that contain the type of trace elements you are referring to? 

From what i understand, Fritz is a pretty basic salt. A lot of folks use reef crystals or the one in the fancy black bucket. Don't remember the exact name. Im not sure about the b-ionic. I used it along time ago and do not remember the comp of it. 

• Like 1
HighCurrent
3 minutes ago, Hirsh said:

From what i understand, Fritz is a pretty basic salt. A lot of folks use reef crystals or the one in the fancy black bucket. Don't remember the exact name. Im not sure about the b-ionic. I used it along time ago and do not remember the comp of it. 

Well lets make this simple lol. 

What trace would you recommend? I will look those up and compare them to ESVs contents.

HighCurrent
8 minutes ago, Hirsh said:

Ok, I just looked at ESV's webpage. They sell a product called B-Ionic Transition Elements...sooooo I'm guessing that it does not contain what we are calling "trace elements".

10 minutes ago, Hirsh said:

red sea coral salt pro?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, do_0b said:

red sea coral salt pro?

Yes thats it!

11 minutes ago, HighCurrent said:

Ok, I just looked at ESV's webpage. They sell a product called B-Ionic Transition Elements...sooooo I'm guessing that it does not contain what we are calling "trace elements".

Yep. It can't do any harm. 

• Like 1

I should have read this before making a post!

You're loving the A80 then? I almost pulled the trigger last night for my 12 JBJ but something was stopping me..

The growth on the palys is amazing! Only a month??

Also another Hoosier, here! :D

• Like 2
2 hours ago, HowardJ said:

You're loving the A80 then? I almost pulled the trigger last night for my 12 JBJ but something was stopping me..

DO IT! You won't regret it. If you have the extra $99, get the controller too. All my acans sprouted 3 new heads after 2 weeks with this light and target feeding.

• Like 1
HighCurrent
20 hours ago, Hirsh said:

The change begins tomorrow. I think you'll notice the picture gives all the information I need.

From Instant Ocean to Fritz RPM!

IMG_4097.thumb.JPG.aa66bef345585af65632dc1bc712dd6f.JPG

5 hours ago, HowardJ said:

I think you would have great success. And yes on only one month!

great to see a fellow land locked reefer lol. Where abouts are you located?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, chipmunkofdoom2 said:

hi you said in your first post that you are running your A80 at 100% around the 15-16,000K for 12 hours, so you run it for 12 hours the same spectrum or you change it by hour, and how can i put mine to 16,000k  i got the kessil digital controller, and i just can calibrate color and intensity?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, HighCurrent said:

I think you would have great success. And yes on only one month!

great to see a fellow land locked reefer lol. Where abouts are you located?

Attica - about 40 minutes from Lafayette 

• Like 1
chipmunkofdoom2
1 hour ago, gmda said:

hi you said in your first post that you are running your A80 at 100% around the 15-16,000K for 12 hours, so you run it for 12 hours the same spectrum or you change it by hour, and how can i put mine to 16,000k  i got the kessil digital controller, and i just can calibrate color and intensity?

Sorry I am not the OP. I was just corroborating another user's Instant Ocean test results.

I'll let OP chime in, but with my LED lights previously, I would start out with a very blue "actinic" look and ramp up to a more 16,000k look. Then toward the end of the day, I would dim the whites and transition back to the very blue actinic look, and finally ramp the blues down to "moonlight" levels.

• Like 1
HighCurrent
13 hours ago, gmda said:

Hello,

Yes, I used to run it at 100% around 16,000K for 12 hours. I just did this by sight of what looked to me to be between 14,000K and 20,000K. I ran the light on a timer until just a few days ago when I installed the controller. Now my program goes as follows:

TIME      COLOR     INTENSITY (I start at 15 because it can only dim down to 13%)

08:00     0             15

14:00     75           100

18:00     35           100

20:00     0             10

20:05     0             0

20:10     0             0

As a disclaimer I am still playing with these settings. I will use my ESV consumption along with visual cues to see if my tank is calcifying more or less on this light schedule. 

Hope that helps!

12 hours ago, HowardJ said:

Attica - about 40 minutes from Lafayette 

Nice! I am in Fort Wayne.

2 hours ago, HowardJ said:

Light is ordered! :D

Awesome! I think if your experience is anything like mine has been, you will be more than happy with it.

• Like 1
HighCurrent

Just thought I'd share this idea incase no one has seen it yet. If so then discard lol. 

I added 90 degree adapter to the 3.5mm jack for the controller input. Makes for a much cleaner look on the A80.

IMG_4126.thumb.JPG.c670cae72940cef470bb90c2737867ff.JPGIMG_4127.thumb.JPG.2044e77a93a3e1cbaba3a5b703c34e05.JPG

• Like 1
HighCurrent
7 hours ago, Hirsh said:

Are you loving the light?

Totally! I don't know that I could really ask for more. All my coral have great color and growth...what more do you need? LOL

6 hours ago, HowardJ said:

I got the light in the mail today! Just added water to the tank! ?

7D05295A-BEAC-4AAA-8CBD-32BA77317677_zps

Nice!!