SaltCritters.com

Keeping SPS under Kessil A80

HighCurrent

HighCurrent

UPDATE: I ended up adding a second A80 to my tank do to a lot of shadowing in my sps branches.everything was doing fine however I'm looking to really populate this tank with acropora growth.

5-5-2017

IMG_4283.thumb.JPG.046799223bd5cad420dc66610c897ab3.JPG

A FTS with both lights

IMG_4232.thumb.JPG.163a4baff448a1d4adb335ca7f6e436c.JPG

Also, my current lighting schedule

IMG_4286.thumb.PNG.c06cdb384d8c5275ecce917e44d1d421.PNG

Original Post:

I just thought I'd make a quick post about my experience using the Kessil A80 incase anyone is on the fence about using one over their nano.

Im running my A80 at 100% around the 15-16,000K for 12 hours a day. I have the bottom of my fixture about 5" or so off the water line.

I have a large variety of SPS from encrusting monti to millipora. Everything has been showing great response to the light. I was very apprehensive to trust my SPS under this little guy but I couldn't be happier. My acans and zoathings also have more color than they did in my 75g under ATI T5s. L

I have only had the tank running a littler over a month but her are a couple progress pics. Mostly noticeable in my purple stylophora, purple rimmed green, the base out on my orange tip millipora acans

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

First day setting up the tank 2/28/17

IMG_3898.thumb.JPG.eedc158c2a2a1604ec0058ebf6d89cda.JPG

3/24/2017

IMG_4013.thumb.JPG.7025cd48387b96854a3c07dc5f723a65.JPG

• Like 3
HighCurrent
8 hours ago, do_0b said:

damn nice growth! are you doing anything else like dosing ca, mg, alk and/or AA? 

Thank you! I do a 5 gallon water change every week with IO. I dose ESV B-Ionic and Acropower. The only issue I have been having lately is my polyp extension on my acropora is not as good as it could be. The polyps are out but but by a lot. Gotta figure that out.

Oh and I feed my tank!

I running the same light on my 5.5 and the SPS are doing really well too. I change a gallon a week and dose Cal, ALk, and Mag. Sounds like we do about the some thing. My Monti, and birds nest are growing like weeds. Try feeding some reef roids and those polyps will come out.

• Like 1
HighCurrent
8 hours ago, Hirsh said:

I running the same light on my 5.5 and the SPS are doing really well too. I change a gallon a week and dose Cal, ALk, and Mag. Sounds like we do about the some thing. My Monti, and birds nest are growing like weeds. Try feeding some reef roids and those polyps will come out.

I will definitely take your advise on this. I have been feeding but I'm really not seeing much response from them.

Do you have a tank thread? Nice to see a similar setup!

whats the maximum height do you think the light is good for? im thinking of going for an 18 x 18 x 18" tank...do you think the a80 is strong enough for that height?

HighCurrent
29 minutes ago, do_0b said:

whats the maximum height do you think the light is good for? im thinking of going for an 18 x 18 x 18" tank...do you think the a80 is strong enough for that height?

Depending on what you want to keep and where you want to keep it...yes. 

Better have it like on the water.

1 hour ago, HighCurrent said:

Depending on what you want to keep and where you want to keep it...yes. 

Better have it like on the water.

probably sps most likely....

I think if I go with A80 than im gonna go shallow like 18 x 18 x 12. If not, I will jus go for the a360we. 

I building a 25 gallon novo lagoon and am going to use the 360we on it.

14 hours ago, HighCurrent said:

I will definitely take your advise on this. I have been feeding but I'm really not seeing much response from them.

Do you have a tank thread? Nice to see a similar setup!

no build thread but ill try to post a pic in the thread.

12 hours ago, do_0b said:

probably sps most likely....

I think if I go with A80 than im gonna go shallow like 18 x 18 x 12. If not, I will jus go for the a360we. 

It will work for that. just keep it close to the water. Mine is about 4" from surface.

I have two A80 over my Nuvo 16g and everything is growing like crazy! 

I run the lights, daisy-chained on a controller and the peak, 75% intensity & colour, hits at 15.00 o'clock. 

I was running them at 90% but had to dial them down cause my frogspawn became almost transparent. I have since then moved it to the edge of the tank and it did gain some colour back. Everything looks amazing under this light! I have mostly SPS. Plus the shimmer is gorgeous!  For anyone who cares, the A80's are 10cm (4inches) above the water surface. 

My previous LED was a Giesemann PULZAR. This light was great at growing the corals, but aesthetically it was a disaster.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cctv said:

I run the lights, daisy-chained on a controller and the peak, 75% intensity & colour, hits at 15.00 o'clock. 

I was running them at 90% but had to dial them down cause my frogspawn became almost transparent. I have since then moved it to the edge of the tank and it did gain some colour back. Everything looks amazing under this light! I have mostly SPS. Plus the shimmer is gorgeous!  For anyone who cares, the A80's are 10cm (4inches) above the water surface. 

My previous LED was a Giesemann PULZAR. This light was great at growing the corals, but aesthetically it was a disaster.

The shimmer sells the Kessil everytime. Im in love with the A700 with all the different settings and the app. I want one so bad.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Hirsh said:

The shimmer sells the Kessil everytime. Im in love with the A700 with all the different settings and the app. I want one so bad.

ya its a beautful fixture...im wondering if theyre gonna update it with a new model anytime soon

My sps are all slowly browning under the a80 in my QT tank.. but I have it cranked and only at 6" above the water level in my evolve 8g. Z's, P's, lps, and softies all look good though... hmm.   They're all doing well with polyp extension, just brown. 

3 hours ago, Jrodinnola said:

My sps are all slowly browning under the a80 in my QT tank.. but I have it cranked and only at 6" above the water level in my evolve 8g. Z's, P's, lps, and softies all look good though... hmm.   They're all doing well with polyp extension, just brown. 

Browning is usually caused by high nutrients in the water. 

• Like 1
HighCurrent
9 hours ago, cctv said:

I assume that you are running the spectural controller on your light? Glad to here about your great success.

2 hours ago, Hirsh said:

Browning is usually caused by high nutrients in the water. 

I'm aware of that, but both my NO3 and PO4 are 0.00 ppm (via salifert and Hanna).

hi i'm new in this forum, i got a pico nano 5 gallons marineland  portrait for about 4 months, and a kessil a80 with controller , but i can't find the sweet spot of the light,  can you tell me the settings that you use on your a80, thanks in advance.

thanks Hirsh, can you give me your whole settings, i got the a80 on for 12hrs

9 am 0%color  10% intensity

10 am 30%color  40% intensity

12 pm 65%color  80% intensity

18 pm 55%color  80% intensity

20 pm 10%color  5%intensity

21 pm 0%color 0% intensity

you think is too much light and that is the reason that my sps no growing? the light is 4" above the water line. the pico is 14" tall  9"wide and 8"deep  5 gallons

i don/t dose nothing, i make water changes 20% every week 0.5 ppm nitrates  0-0.3  phosphates

23 hours ago, gmda said:

thanks Hirsh, can you give me your whole settings, i got the a80 on for 12hrs

9 am 0%color  10% intensity

10 am 30%color  40% intensity

12 pm 65%color  80% intensity

18 pm 55%color  80% intensity

20 pm 10%color  5%intensity

21 pm 0%color 0% intensity

you think is too much light and that is the reason that my sps no growing? the light is 4" above the water line. the pico is 14" tall  9"wide and 8"deep  5 gallons

i don/t dose nothing, i make water changes 20% every week 0.5 ppm nitrates  0-0.3  phosphates

I would throw in another section of 80% light. Are you dosing calcium, mag and alk? That may be the reason they aren't growing.

HighCurrent
6 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Great Scott that is wonderful growth @HighCurrent.    BTW I see you're a Hoosier too, where abouts?

Thank you!! I am getting great growth out of most things but I can't get the PE I'm looking for from my acropora : /

I am from Fort Wayne. How about yourself?

4 hours ago, Hirsh said:

I would throw in another section of 80% light. Are you dosing calcium, mag and alk? That may be the reason they aren't growing.

no, i don't dosing nothing i just make water changes every week I think i got good numbers magnesium=1480, calcium=480 alk=9  ph-7.8 to 8.2

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
2 hours ago, HighCurrent said:

Thank you!! I am getting great growth out of most things but I can't get the PE I'm looking for from my acropora : /

I am from Fort Wayne. How about yourself?

Im just outside of Indy. ??