ReefCleaners.org

16 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I can understand the left edge being due to coral war, but what about the center areas?

Not that I know much about alk, my tank is always screw-y with yo-yo-like alk level.  But I have noticed in the past that some part of monti tissue would peel or recede when alk drops too low.  Have you checked that lately?  

• Like 3
Just now, micoastreefing said:

I can understand the left edge being due to coral war, but what about the center areas?

Not that I know much about alk, my tank is always screw-y with yo-yo-like alk level.  But I have noticed in the past that some part of monti tissue would peel or recede when alk drops too low.  Have you checked that lately?  

Its possible, especially with the adjustment in the water change schedule ..........but the Leptastrea and Favia are stinging it from underneath also.  Im not that concerned because its also producing new growth at the same time.  It has almost died off 2 or 3 times now, and then comes back triple the size!  I wish the dumb thing would just spread toward the right and call it a day! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

WOW! What a phenomenal tank. To me, tanks like this are 1000x more impressive than the gargantuan rolling money dumpsters that people like to build, complete with thousands of dollars of totally unnecessary equipment. 

I wanted to ask your thoughts on going totally filterless for the average reefer. Do you notice any excess detritus build up? What about water clarity? Im only clinging onto my aquaclear because i feel that I will end up needing to be in the tank all the time dealing with detritus. Are there any inverts you find particularly useful to take car of the extra gunk that doesnt get picked up?

Also, I feel like such a chump buying my china led for 60$ when the current fixture is barely 50$ more and offers actual controlability. For some reason I remembered it being much more expensive, so I crossed off from my list of options pretty early. Oh well, now when I upgrade the light I'll have an excuse to start a whole other tank with the old one...

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, pmang6 said:

WOW! What a phenomenal tank. To me, tanks like this are 1000x more impressive than the gargantuan rolling money dumpsters that people like to build, complete with thousands of dollars of totally unnecessary equipment. 

I wanted to ask your thoughts on going totally filterless for the average reefer. Do you notice any excess detritus build up? What about water clarity? Im only clinging onto my aquaclear because i feel that I will end up needing to be in the tank all the time dealing with detritus. Are there any inverts you find particularly useful to take car of the extra gunk that doesnt get picked up?

Also, I feel like such a chump buying my china led for 60$ when the current fixture is barely 50$ more and offers actual controlability. For some reason I remembered it being much more expensive, so I crossed off from my list of options pretty early. Oh well, now when I upgrade the light I'll have an excuse to start a whole other tank with the old one...

When I used to run my tanks Berlin style sometimes after. Water change I'd hang my ac70 with some filter floss for an hour or 2.  It really polished up the water nicely. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, pmang6 said:

Also, I feel like such a chump buying my china led for 60$ when the current fixture is barely 40$ more and offers actual controlability. Oh well, now when I upgrade I'll have an excuse to start a whole other tank...

Thank you! 😊

For me, water changes do the trick. I blow everything into the water column and then suck it out during the change.  

I am also very careful to not overfeed.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, patback said:

When I used to run my tanks Berlin style sometimes after. Water change I'd hang my ac70 with some filter floss for an hour or 2.  It really polished up the water nicely. 

I've considered doing that, seems like a good option. I need to get some real polyfil filter floss, I have the blue and white stuff and it doesn't cut the mustard for me.

54 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Thank you! 😊

For me, water changes do the trick. I blow everything into the water column and then suck it out during the change.  

I am also very careful to not overfeed.  

Forgive me for not reading through the whole thread (I think I read most of it at one point, but after you read enough build threads they all kinda start to meld together in your head haha), but how often do you change and how much? Any sandbed vacuuming or anything? Also, do you run an ato? Sorry for all the questions, Im just gonna stop and go read the thread now lol.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, pmang6 said:

I've considered doing that, seems like a good option. I need to get some real polyfil filter floss, I have the blue and white stuff and it doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Forgive me for not reading through the whole thread (I think I read most of it at one point, but after you read enough build threads they all kinda start to meld together in your head haha), but how often do you change and how much? Any sandbed vacuuming or anything? Also, do you run an ato? Sorry for all the questions, Im just gonna stop and go read the thread now lol.

**Insert shameless self promotion here**

😁

I do water changes once a week. I recently switched to every other week but I think I am going to switch back. 

I top off manually.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Love it! (It's not bragging if it's true!)

😂

i figured its the condensed version .......instead of reading 55 pages worth of stuff. 

• Like 1

The re-scape has begun..........

Finally got the Frogspawn on a plug! Yay! 

I also fragged and moved the Neon Green Digitata because the base was getting stung by the Mushrooms and was dying. 

I also realized the Orange Cap Monti was still being stung by the Acro underneath it........it was battling four different Corals at once. 😂 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
skyscraper2290

Man I love this tank so much! I’ve been just lurking on your thread but have been implimementing a simpler approach on setting up my tank again primarily because of your gorgeous tank. Anytime I get the itch to add any extra equipment I just take a look here to remind me of my goals. 

I hope your rescape goes good!

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, skyscraper2290 said:

Man I love this tank so much! I’ve been just lurking on your thread but have been implimementing a simpler approach on setting up my tank again primarily because of your gorgeous tank. Anytime I get the itch to add any extra equipment I just take a look here to remind me of my goals. 

I hope your rescape goes good!

Thank you! 😊

It is so hard sometimes to keep it simple! You can do it!—Resist the urge. 😁

• Haha 1
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm