Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bionoob 29; Frag Pictures

graftobny142

graftobny142
2 hours ago, Oilers71 said:

I appreciate the advice. I test every day and ammonia is has been at zero since day 6. I'll stop ghost feeding and wait it out. I noticed with yours you added a cuc first. I don't have ANY algae at all so I was planning on adding two clowns first then a cuc after. Can you see any potential problems with that?

Are you still using the stock lighting in the biocube?

Your nitrites should drop, keep an eye on it the next 2 days. Once they get to 0 do a huge water change to get the nitrates out.

I did add a small CUC and 1 coral for my starting lifeforms. Adding two clowns at once could stress the limit of nitrification at first, depending on how healthy the bacteria population  you end up having is. Do you plan on getting any other fish? I added a firefish first before I am going to add my clown. Lighter starting bioload and a tragic, but not expensive, loss if something bad does happen.

I am currently using stock lighting but I got a Black Box LED from amazon. I just need to piece together a grid cover so I can go open top and hang the LED above.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019QAZX9C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes we where planning on adding a couple more fish but I haven't made up my mind on which ones. We both love clowns so they where a definite yes. I'll do some research and see if maybe I can add one clown and then another one later. Nice light to. Keep me updated on what your top off rate is once you take the top off. I considered going topless but I have a feeling I'm gonna have a lot of evaporation. I'm running a kessil A160we on mine. IMG_1067.thumb.JPG.3eb86cafc5ff170da3cedc2592dcd3d8.JPG

graftobny142
11 hours ago, Oilers71 said:

Yes we where planning on adding a couple more fish but I haven't made up my mind on which ones. We both love clowns so they where a definite yes. I'll do some research and see if maybe I can add one clown and then another one later. Nice light to. Keep me updated on what your top off rate is once you take the top off. I considered going topless but I have a feeling I'm gonna have a lot of evaporation. I'm running a kessil A160we on mine. IMG_1067.thumb.JPG.3eb86cafc5ff170da3cedc2592dcd3d8.JPG

After my car got totaled I bought an RODI Spectrapure unit so i am not worried about extra top off. Its soooooooooooooooooooo worth the ~$130 for an RODI unit, not having to go get water from the store is so convenient.  And I know its actually clean. Using my own RODI water also helped remove the algae I was having trouble with.

That may be something I pick up later. I just took the top off so we will see how it goes. I'll keep an eye on it and see how much evaporation I have. I may invest in an ato before long

My tank has finally cycled. I check everyday when I get home from work. Yesterday nitrites where high and today they where zero. I'm super excited

graftobny142
4 hours ago, Oilers71 said:

That may be something I pick up later. I just took the top off so we will see how it goes. I'll keep an eye on it and see how much evaporation I have. I may invest in an ato before long

My tank has finally cycled. I check everyday when I get home from work. Yesterday nitrites where high and today they where zero. I'm super excited

That is great news! Get a couple snails or something in there.

I feed my crabs small pieces of shrimp every few days so they are well fed without algae.

• Like 1
graftobny142

I looked in my tank and saw this big feather duster this morning. At first I thought it was aiptasia , I said "nooooooo". But it has a large hard white tube that it's in and retracts fully in a millisecond

On the right of the base of the candy cane

IMG_9207.PNG

• Like 1
graftobny142

Hung my LED today. Couldn't find any clear mesh at Home Depot so I'm totally topless until then!

Would a store like Michaels/Hobby Lobby have it? 

IMG_9228.JPG

• Like 2
graftobny142

Going topless was the best decision yet!

My temp is  no longer going above 26.6*C, was going up to 28.2 now that summer is here.

Evaporation has doubled.

• Like 1
graftobny142

Cut up the Gorilla frag! The zoanthid group came apart surprisingly easy and I proceeded to attach the pieces to the rock with super glue gel.

IMG_9246.JPG

IMG_9247.JPG

Snipped a head off a frogspawn tentacle while trying to feed it.
IuXziwK.jpg

I also took the opportunity to split the xenia+zoa frag

fdXXMbh.jpg

And here are the zoanthids back in the tank after being split up.

OguxWk1.jpg
HmkL1xX.jpg
lRTg7rB.jpg

• Like 2
graftobny142

While feeding the other day I found what appeared to be a baby Nassarius Snail. I only have Ceriths and Trochus in my tank so I thought that was odd.

Today I found 7 baby Nass while feeding. Did they come in as eggs on a frag?

graftobny142

Fragging the Zoanthid has give me some great new observation opportunities.

Here is one of the single polyps sprouting two new heads.

GgdMD5F.png

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, themummra said:

Fragging the Zoanthid has give me some great new observation opportunities.

Here is one of the single polyps sprouting two new heads.

GgdMD5F.png

Cool to watch, isn't it?

On 6/21/2017 at 5:52 PM, themummra said:

While feeding the other day I found what appeared to be a baby Nassarius Snail. I only have Ceriths and Trochus in my tank so I thought that was odd.

Today I found 7 baby Nass while feeding. Did they come in as eggs on a frag?

I dunno, but that's interesting!

graftobny142
44 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I dunno, but that's interesting!

They are very interesting to watch. During feeding time they surface from the sand and zoom around.

• Like 1
graftobny142

I want to move my rock work around, but I am afraid of trapping a nassarius under a rock.

Would they be able to move through the sand under a rock to escape?

graftobny142

New Addition: Rainbow BTA, about the size of two baseballs.

This thing is a lot bigger than I thought it would be! Its a good thing I only have 1 fish and all my frags on the sandbed still. BTA is currently roaming the purple rock to find a spot.

KCLdKyG.jpg

• Like 1
graftobny142

The bta is still on the move, it stung my candy cane and upset the euphyllia :/

My first experience with coral stings, will it repair and if so how long does it take. Anything I can do to help? The candy cane is otherwise super healthy, has 4 new heads sprouting from the stem and one of the current heads just split.

IMG_9387.JPG

graftobny142

I got to witness my candy cane split this week, as well as a zoanthid! I had no idea that zoanthids reproduced by splitting but I watched it happen over the course of ~5 days. 

I can't imagine all zoa species are this hardy, these are growing rapidly and took my splitting them up like champs. The single stalks that I glued down show the most growth, as tissue is expanding from all sides of the base. I want to get some other species of zoa to try this with them as well.

Oh, and my BTA is about 9" across, hopefully its found its spot. One of the tentacles has split into 3 at the tip, normal?

• Like 1

Two months since the last update, time flies!

Everything has been going pretty great. I was gone for 5 days and my firefish jumped unfortunately. I think he was tired of the nem moving around so much. I finally had time to change up the rockwork and I think he is settled. I got pretty frustrated one night after he took up residency in the first chamber of the biocube. I was hoping it would split from all this but it is still going strong!

3 hermits are alive, 2 trochus and 3 cerith also alive. The nassarius baby hitchikers I got have survived and there are now 10 healthy ones I feed regularly. I love getting them all on one piece of shrimp or scallop, snail party! 

For the big news, I am going to upgrade to a 40breeder within a month, maybe two but hopefully we before that. I'm going to do a simple aquaclear 110 hob on the back for now, and then work on setting up a sump. 

Oh and I picked up a few frags of zoanthids today from a local reefer. 

A few heads each of some scrambled eggs, sunny d and gobstoppers.

• Like 1
Just now, Jorge091293 said:

pics i want to see your progress 

I will get some shots in the morning.

My candy canes which started at 2 heads will be 5 in a few more weeks. Watching them split is so cool!

And I even saw a zoanthid polyp head split in half into two full new heads. I had no idea they could reproduce that way