Coral Vue Hydros

Equipment list feedback - New tank

SaltyBuddha

TLDR: Setting up my first tank. Done a lot of research and looking for suggestions on the above equipment list. 5.5g main tank with 3g fuge. LR, soft corals and goby/shrimp pair eventually.

I've been perusing the forums for a couple of weeks now and decided to take the plunge. Currently have a 20g freshwater tank but I'd like to get into saltwater.Looking for some feedback on equipment and any suggestions for doing something better (especially if I am forgetting something).  I will be building the tank out of acrylic.

The main tank will be about 5.5g with a 3g fuge. This would be considered a pico, but I've seen a lot of good info on here. I understand why people say not to start with a small tank and I know all the downfalls. I am looking forward to the challenge and I will be taking my sweet time setting up the tank. It will eventually have some soft corals and a goby shrimp pair.

Here is the equipment list:

The main tank will be about 8" x 8" x 24" with a cairn style live rock structure. Hopefully with some perches for coral. Fuge will have chaeto and maybe some live rock. I'll have 10 gallons of RO/DI at any time with 5 of that mixed with the pumphead. I live in southern california so I will not be heating it to start. If it seems to be an issue, I will acquire another heater. Only thing I have not researched fully are specific corals and if I will need to supplement calcium and other minerals for them.

Thanks if you read all this. Looking forward to getting into the community. I plan on posting the entire build details, cure, cycle, set-up and acclimation in separate posts when I start in the next few weeks.

13 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

need a basic controller and a quality ATO.

Plan on having a timer for the light and will do regular water changes and top off manually. Want to be more involved with the tank to get a better feel for it. I'll be keeping a notebook with weekly water parameters and stuff too.

Keep in mind the #1 reason for a controller is to stop tank meltdown if the heater fails in the on position.  If you're at work and the heater sticks on, you're in trouble without a controller.  Reefkeeper Lite is very reasonable and good insurance imho.  

3 minutes ago, dmw913 said:

Keep in mind the #1 reason for a controller is to stop tank meltdown if the heater fails in the on position.  If you're at work and the heater sticks on, you're in trouble without a controller.  Reefkeeper Lite is very reasonable and good insurance imho.  

Didn't know it did that. I'll definitely be investing in one before I get the corals and goby pair. Thanks!

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @SaltyBuddha! This sounds like it will be a cool build, will the refugium be a sump, or part of the display tank somehow?

I'd argue that a simple ATO system would be a worthwhile investment as well, it gives the same sort of protection as a system controller. Sometimes life gets in the way, manually topping off for evaporation can become a chore that gets neglected unintentionally. With such little water volume, it's a piece of insurance for stability.

11 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

i use a reefkeeper lite on display and an inkbird on my qt.  you may just need an inkbird for the heater.

Awesome. I'm definitely adding this one to the wish list to look into!

3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @SaltyBuddha! This sounds like it will be a cool build, will the refugium be a sump, or part of the display tank somehow?

I'd argue that a simple ATO system would be a worthwhile investment as well, it gives the same sort of protection as a system controller. Sometimes life gets in the way, manually topping off for evaporation can become a chore that gets neglected unintentionally. With such little water volume, it's a piece of insurance for stability.

Thanks for the welcome! The refugium will be part of the main tank. I'm going to use black acrylic so it is not visible. I'll be using the 400 jet as a powerhead to pull water through the fuge sidewall. The ATO is definitely something I will keep in mind and think about investing in.

Thanks for the good suggestions, guys!

Fritz RPM salt is cheaper than Coral Pro and much more consistent. I ran Coral Pro for over 16 months. All the batches were different. I switched to RPM 4 months ago and both boxes have been rock solid on parameters and I'm now seeing MASSIVE coral growth.

21 minutes ago, braaap said:

Fritz RPM salt is cheaper than Coral Pro and much more consistent. I ran Coral Pro for over 16 months. All the batches were different. I switched to RPM 4 months ago and both boxes have been rock solid on parameters and I'm now seeing MASSIVE coral growth.

That is good to know. Thanks for the tip! Do you supplement calcium, iodine and what not for your corals? Or does the mix + water changes have enough?

1 minute ago, SaltyBuddha said:

That is good to know. Thanks for the tip! Do you supplement calcium, iodine and what not for your corals? Or does the mix + water changes have enough?

I'm probably going to be dosing Alk and possibly Calcium soon as I can't keep up with consumption but a 10 gallon water change starts my levels where I want them for the week.

6 minutes ago, braaap said:

I'm probably going to be dosing Alk and possibly Calcium soon as I can't keep up with consumption but a 10 gallon water change starts my levels where I want them for the week.

Good to know. You're tank looks awesome by the way! Was barely able to get the fiance to agree to this investment...barely 

18 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

need a basic controller and a quality ATO.

I second this. It took me awhile to get a handle on these two pieces of equipment (getting rear chamber levels consistent, and just the learning curve of operating a controller) but both have been immensely helpful. My controller only runs a pump, heat probe, and ph probe but as I learn and progress the other functions will no doubt be greatly beneficial to any continued success. The ATO is such a convenient tool and really keeps my ph and salinity as consistent as possible for top off. Best of luck!

36 minutes ago, Jkuhl said:

I second this. It took me awhile to get a handle on these two pieces of equipment (getting rear chamber levels consistent, and just the learning curve of operating a controller) but both have been immensely helpful. My controller only runs a pump, heat probe, and ph probe but as I learn and progress the other functions will no doubt be greatly beneficial to any continued success. The ATO is such a convenient tool and really keeps my ph and salinity as consistent as possible for top off. Best of luck!

Thanks for the confirmation! I will be investing in these pieces of equipment for sure. I'll be looking into the reefkeeper lite and a simple ATO system. Enjoying the positive community!

Archived