Top Shelf Aquatics

inTank @ MACNA 2016 - San Diego

inTank

Nano-Reef Meet and BYOB Drink Location:

• Saturday night after Banquet
  • Outside Terrace Cafe
  • BYOB

This is our best option. It is central to the "Royal" Palm Tower and has the most seating options. Just in front of the pool.

Valley Liquors has a FREE shuttle from the "resort" to their establishment. Just call (619) 296-1323 Or there is an on site bar sorta near by. Doubtful but the tiki bar may be open in our location just because of the size of show we bring.

20160906_192235.jpg

20160906_192150.jpg

NR%20PARTY%20FINAL.jpg

We're here, and we're early! Figured since we had to fly and ship this year to come out early for a well needed vacation before the madness of work begins.

I hope that wasn't a mistake.

I'll be the first to say it even if it may pucker some political feathers, because it's going to come up regardless when other vendors/past attendees arrive and I've always been honest to you guys in the past. As a vendor we put forth a ton of money to finance these conferences, it's a huge marketing pill to swallow for a small company.

MACNA should not be in San Diego this year. At least not at this venue at this time. We (as vendors) were oversold, over charged and over promised. Which brings up the term fraud. The more I walk around the more that is confirmed.

It's old and a dump. And going through a 3 year $80 million dollar well needed remodel under new ownership. The vision is there, you can see it in few areas that have been touched including our room.

We are in an updated room, but the entire tower is in transition and work is everywhere.

In the end people make a show, not buildings and the exhibit hall is decent and will be filled with energy. MACNA should have circled around then landed in the "finest city." In the past the venues have added so much to the show, and have been top of the line. This place is overpriced and very run down.

Well with that out of the way let's get to the annual pictures.

Leaving the beautiful inland ocean of Milwaukee

20160903_120902.jpg

Landing in one of the most challenging airports in the world (per History Channel)

20160903_160411.jpg

Coolest skywriting ever. Couldn't figure out if it was 5 planes or one towing a 5 spray nozzle computer operated thingy. edit... it's called skytyping. 5 planes fly in formation. A GPS computer controlled device on the lead plane lets out the poofs on all planes in-sync.

20160903_143626.jpg

Room and the pretty

20160903_152752.jpg

20160903_162932.jpg

20160903_163232.jpg

20160903_163430.jpg

20160903_165032.jpg

The not so pretty...

20160903_153727_1.jpg

20160903_164319.jpg

20160903_164642.jpg

20160903_164654.jpg

20160903_174021.jpg

20160903_174028.jpg

Cat show/competition going on this weekend, we were invited right in without a badge. Must move out before the fish swim in or they'll be dinner.

20160903_171814.jpg

20160903_170334.jpg

20160903_170411.jpg

20160903_170434.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll buy you a drink Wednesday night if you're around.....you supply the hookers and blow.

Should be here. We are setting up Wednesday or Thursday so it's work mode after Tuesday.

I've already scouted out the H&B

I admit, I was surprised it was being held at the hotel circle when it was first announce and not the convention center. Being the biggest show in North America, I don't know why it was not.

I remember hanging at this same hotel/resort 25years ago and then it was pretty sweet, oh how time has flow by. Like you said, it's the people that make the event.

What r your plans since you're here early? You can go from downtown, to the mountains, to the desert, to the beach.....all in an hour or less.

It's dated, that's for sure. A history lesson from childhood that was never touched since.

We're still planning but as of a few minutes ago the Wife came up with The Safari park, USS Midway Museum, Air and Space, Birch Aquarium, downtown and of course the beach. Oh and now little Italy since she's Italian. I was here around the age of 12, been a while.

Cool thing I see, and hear in the room constantly is the transit train thingy. As well as a hammer drill.

And as a HUGE plus Valley Liquors has a FREE shuttle from the hotel to their establishment. Just call (619) 296-1323 OPEN 24 HOURS WTF!!!!!

I was going to ask earlier if you were there and your opinion on the place. Didn't read a lot of good things online about it.

I read the same and had the fingers crossed, and it's correct. Def. not a place MACNA has been in the past and it's in transition of being much better. Just not right now in all areas.

20160903_213448.jpg

Welcomed wet bar, goes hand in hand with 24 hr. liquor shuttle service

20160903_215628.jpg

Sweet message center, to be a fly on the wall in other rooms

20160903_215808.jpg

This is ground level and you can literally just walk right in

20160903_224853.jpg

20160903_224916.jpg

Beautiful elevators

20160903_224654.jpg

20160903_224707.jpg

I admit, I was surprised it was being held at the hotel circle when it was first announce and not the convention center. Being the biggest show in North America, I don't know why it was not.

I remember hanging at this same hotel/resort 25years ago and then it was pretty sweet, oh how time has flow by. Like you said, it's the people that make the event.

What r your plans since you're here early? You can go from downtown, to the mountains, to the desert, to the beach.....all in an hour or less.

Me to...... I thought for sure it would have been held downtown at the Convention Center. However the hotels that are in walking distance are quite expensive. My brother and his wife come down every year for a large teachers convention at the Convention Center. They never stay at the hotel even with the discounted rate the rooms are still north of $250 a night. I am just speculating but I think the decision to have it In Mission Valley came down to having the hotel and venue in one location plus trying to keep cost down for the attendees.

Welcomed wet bar, goes hand in hand with 24 hr. liquor shuttle service

20160903_215628.jpg

They have a 24 hour shuttle but you cant buy booze after 2am. :(

Christopher Marks

Haha I was worried it would be a dump, I was surprised by their venue choice, not exactly a great showing of what San Diego is really like. It will just add to the stories we'll all have. Maybe we can party in one of the windowless rooms? Help with demolition even!

Your remodeled room looks better, are you in the tower or a garden room?

Also, please tell me you bought that cat show t-shirt!

Haha I was worried it would be a dump, I was surprised by their venue choice

Your remodeled room looks better, are you in the tower or a garden room?

I'm tempted to go back today and get the shirt.

We are in the tower on an updated floor. The garden rooms are scary.

View from our room. That big mass of building to the upper right is the convention center.

20160904_133632.jpg

I reserved this for the N-R party. Walk right in.

20160904_134125.jpg

20160904_134127.jpg

MACNA is not big enough for what it would cost to have it at the convention center downtown. Not only would it be considerably more expensive but then you would all be complaining about the hotel prices which would easily be double+ of what you are paying now. The Town and Country is not that bad. Let's not forget that San Diego Comic Con started there.

Also some of you are acting like Mission Valley is a dump. Fashion Valley which is one of the most high-end malls in SoCal is 1 block away. Try renting a 1br apartment in Mission Valley and see how much it's going to cost you.

I'll be in the Regency Tower, those will probably be rooms from when the place opened. Maybe I will get lucky and that tower won't have all the fun construction noise you get.

Well the guesses that this venue was chosen based on price are half right. The other reason is that the Grand Hall is the largest ballroom outside of the convention center in San Diego. MACNA literally would not fit in any of the downtown hotels. And if it was in the convention center exhibit costs would be much higher and room rates would be at least $220/night. (That was the best we could get when we tried). Nobody has been oversold, over-charged, or defrauded of anything. I extended the invitation to reach out to me if there was an issue with any of the tradeshow stuff and I have heard nothing from Steve. If I don't know about it, I can't fix it. I'm happy to look into anything that has to do with your booth as it relates to cost or rules. It's truly frustrating to hear about problems that could have been avoided if someone said something. Reach out to me here or by email and let me see where I can help. I'm happy to do so.

I helped build that glass building in the first midway pic. Lane field.

I installed the iron and post tension cables in all the decks in that building. Panel fell from the 8th floor and landed on the 5th floor where me and my co- workers were working. Panel landed 7ft from us.

Here is the 5th floor lay down area. If you zoom in you can see the panel flipped over and leaning against large pole braces which it bent Like nothing and the handrail above broke in half. This panel weighed 8k # and was going to be for the next lift. Me and my c0- workers where right at the corner where the danger tape is.

20150123_092755_zpskjfqxbji.jpg

20150123_092806_zpscg4panl6.jpg

Archived