Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Coral Cavern - 25G Shallow Reef

Jruberti

19 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Love the Sympodium.

Thanks! I had never heard of it before and was excited to try it out. It seems like a fast grower and it encrusts just like GSP.

Decided to test the water parameters since I just ordered some new zoas from Cherry Corals. It's been a long time since I tested, and I need to start testing for any changes in case water changes aren't enough.

Calcium: 440 ppm

Alkalinity: 10-11 dKH

Phosphate: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Questions:

1. Is my alkalinity too high for a mixed reef?
  2. Regarding the phosphates, should l I have testable quantities of nitrates/phosphates to keep some corals happy? I'm using one of those API Reef Master Test Kit so maybe it's inaccurate and there are trace levels of phosphates/nitrates.
  3. Will zoas thrive in low nutrient systems?
  4. I run a skimmer and a piece of LR in the sump with an AI Nano on an opposite timer as the display to grow random algae that I remove monthly (works great when my RO/DI unit's resin needs changing). I also have been doing weekly 10% water changes. Should I lose the skimmer, ditch the fuge-ish area, or feed more and go to bi-weekly/monthly water changes? ....maybe I could add some new fish :P
Cherry Corals packaging is top notch.
kIkoN1w.png

I added the Lemon Lime Octospawn, Acan, and the Zoas (Super Keds Reds, Whodas Cat Eyes, Gobstoppers, Sunny Delights, and Punk Rock Girls) to the tank and mounted them today. Here are some pictures of the Acan and Octospawn...which turned out to be just a green frogspawn/octopspawn so I might contact Cherry Corals to see if this is right. The picture of what I ordered looks nothing like this :p (it's supposed to be bright yellow).
qhmcZmV.png
  • Like 2

I tried to get some pictures of the zoas, but I'm still having trouble. Sunny Delights (left) and Gobstoppers (right)
pDWteBY.jpg

GSP (why not  :P)
coFUrhq.jpg

Yellow Octospawn...that turned out to be green :(
oZ3LxFK.jpg

Actual Green Frogspawn...it's getting huge (you can see the "Punk Rock Girls" on left)
Zqp1F53.jpg

I moved the lights from directly over the zoas and maybe got a better pic? Top down shots + light + blue sympodium makes my camera upset :blink:

De9tzvz.jpg

"Punk Rock Girls" + Tail Spot Blenny
meo9DUf.jpg

• Like 2

Never shopped at Cherry Corals before but their prices seem very high.  Hope you scored those zoas during a huge sale.  The zoas you got are usually $2 - $3 per polyp.  I have seen yellowish octospawns before but they are usually a muted goldish / yellowish color.  The one you got looks like a normal green octospawn, usually $20 - $30 a head.  

6 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Never shopped at Cherry Corals before but their prices seem very high.  Hope you scored those zoas during a huge sale.  The zoas you got are usually $2 - $3 per polyp.  I have seen yellowish octospawns before but they are usually a muted goldish / yellowish color.  The one you got looks like a normal green octospawn, usually $20 - $30 a head.  

The zoas ranged from $16-32. I made sure to check around on other popular sites like World Wide Corals. They had similar or more expensive prices. For example, My Cat Eyes were $24 and they have them for $33. This was my first time ordering "designer" zoas. The only ones that really impressed me were for the Gobstoppers and Sunny Delights. Are these slow growers? The yellow (green :P) octospawn was pricey compared to the rest at $64. I did email them about it but haven't heard back yet.

6 hours ago, samnaz said:

Looks good! I've never ordered from Cherry Corals, but I live 20 minutes from them! Perhaps I should give it a go. And not get the "yellow" frogspawn ;) 

Their stuff seems nice and healthy and they shipped super fast! Some of the items don't look exactly like the pictures but they are still pretty. It might have something to do with being under LEDs vs T5s.

Head Count:

Super Keds Reds 4

Whodas Cats Eyes 3

Gobstoppers 2

Sunny Delights 4

Punk Rock Girls 6

Red/Blue Acan 4

Red/Green Blasto 7

I'm going to try and gauge their growth :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Awesome tank, I have the same one as well as the same overflow and return, have had it for about 3 years and never set up.  Just found this thread today.  Good reminder to me that I need to step up and put it all together.  Nice job.