inTank Media Baskets

The Coral Cavern - 25G Shallow Reef

Jruberti

Looks great so far!! Your scape will look even better once you get some corals on it!

…So did I miss something? Did you remove the compartments/baffles from the IM, or do they have non-AIO tanks?

I'm excited to start stocking! The tank is an Innovative Marine NUVO Black 25 gallon. It's the same dimensions as the lagoon 25 but without the back chambers. I drilled it and added a glass-holes overflow/return.

• Like 2

I'm excited to start stocking! The tank is an Innovative Marine NUVO Black 25 gallon. It's the same dimensions as the lagoon 25 but without the back chambers. I drilled it and added a glass-holes overflow/return.

Sweet tanks! I didn't know they existed! Good choice with the 25. That 30 would fit my space perfectly, where I have my current 29. Too good to be true... lol

Your tank and scape are great. I love how clean and uncluttered the equipment is too. You are off to a great start.

Thanks!

Sweet tanks! I didn't know they existed! Good choice with the 25. That 30 would fit my space perfectly, where I have my current 29. Too good to be true... lol

:) they are neat

I noticed some new algaes on the rock. Any idea what these 2 are and if I should do any manual removal?

L4cMyfq.jpg

ayFgT5m.jpg

ykGivgq.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I made a DIY lid using window screen framing and bird mesh. I don't plan to use this forever but since I'll be adding fish soon, I wanted some peace of mind. I bought the window framing, spline, and corners as a kit from Home Depot and got the plastic bird mesh from the gardening section. Even after buying the hacksaw to cut the window frame, I think everything cost around $28, and I have enough materials leftover to make another.

ZLqSjCP.jpg

I ordered some fish and corals last week from LiveAquaria but only half of my order has arrived. I did lights out yesterday so everything could get acclimated but after the lights come on today, I'll try to get some pictures.

• Like 2

The 2nd half of my LiveAquaria order got here yesterday. Here's a list of everything I ordered and my initial thoughts:

1st part of order (arrived Tuesday)

ORA Misbar Ocellaris Clownfish //eating well and doing clown things

ORA Neon Green Sinularia Finger Leather //small BUT GREEN
ORA Extreme Misbar Ocellaris Clownfish //eating well and doing clown things
ORA Assorted Colony Polyps //were just regular green zoas :angry:

2nd part of order (arrived Thursday)

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp - Indonesia - Small //arrived dead in bag :furious:

Coral Beauty Angelfish - Fiji - Small //great size and color

Yellow Clown Goby //he was a white goby in their cloudy bag of water but he's yellow and happy now

I think the tank is at max capacity for fish, but I wanted to get all the fish at once before they establish their territories to avoid any compatibility/aggression issues (no signs of aggression yet). The clownfish are eating pellets/marine cuisine and the coral beauty is eating off the rocks and ate some marine cuisine as well. The clown goby seemed excited for food but never went after anything but I've only had him for a day so maybe he's still adjusting.

Here are a few pictures. The coral beauty has made a cave in the right rock its home and likes to hide when I get the camera out.

FTS

16ca5dffc3.jpg

Yellow Clown Goby and Sinularia Frag

16d3da59b7.png

Elusive Coral Beauty

16d10dd71c.png

• Like 1

Updated the cover photo :) and got some new pics. All the fish are eating now. The yellow clown goby didn't eat anything until I put a spirulina flake in the tank that was as big as him (meant for the coral beauty)...he took it to his spot on the left rock and tore it into little pieces.

FTS

QVLD17r.jpg

Sump Area

I393x1O.jpg?1

Coral Booty :rolleyes:

283503ef50.png

Sinularia Frag

Pt4J2Ps.jpg

• Like 3

I am really liking the look of this tank. So clean and sleek. How is the Goby doing? Sometimes people have trouble getting them to eat

He didn't eat the first day then he ate a spirulina flake that was as big as he was...and now he eats flakes and marine cuisine. I think he was shy to compete with the other fish at first but now he doesn't care lol

great tank build! liking it alot. keep it up.

Thanks, will do! B)

• 2 months later...

I seem to always find something with my builds that drives me insane. All I can see in my tank lately are these streaks that run across the middle of the front glass. I can't seem to clean/affect them by wiping the inside or outside of the tank. I've tried vinegar then I got desperate and tried to remove them with googone but nothing. They seem to be coming from the center of the glass. I contacted IM to see if they've heard of similar issues. I'm currently looking for a tank with the same footprint to upgrade to. I've just been letting the tank sit for the last couple of months.

• Like 1

I'm currently looking for a tank with the same footprint to upgrade to. I've just been letting the tank sit for the last couple of months.

]

Sorry to hear about the glass issues. Any luck on a similar footprint tank?

• 2 weeks later...

I drained the tank and decided to clean the inside glass with vinegar. It didn't seem like it worked well on the area I was worried about but when I refilled the tank, I couldn't see the streaks anymore. The streaks that were visible when the middle of the tank was eye-level are not there anymore but if you look at some weird angles from under the tank, you can see them but just barely. I'm happy with the result, and it'll definitely work until I get an upgrade later on...

Since I took all the fish/LR out, I decided to try a new scape too. I broke up one of the larger pieces of LR to create this new design. The tank doesn't have a crevice anymore so I've changed the name to "The Coral Cavern" :P. I have more room for coral placement, and I think this scape highlights the depth of the tank. Let me know what you think of it.

Also, I finally finished my masters in computer science and started my first real job so I can actually start stocking corals!

yMpcTSC.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I follow your YT account and saw the new video.  Good job!  Is this tank still kicking, or did you upgrade to the Cadlight tank like you were planning? 

On 1/30/2017 at 3:00 PM, flatlandreefer said:

Looking good! Can't wait to see it with some new additions

Thanks! I have recently started stocking it. It's been up and running with only a frag or 2 for a year...had to save the money (I got engaged lol). I finally added some new corals a month ago.

On 4/4/2017 at 6:17 PM, TatorTaco said:

I've been considering also purchasing the IM Black 25 and adding a sump.  Any new progress with this tank? 

Yeah, I just started adding to it after a year!

11 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I follow your YT account and saw the new video.  Good job!  Is this tank still kicking, or did you upgrade to the Cadlight tank like you were planning? 

Nice! Glad you liked the video :). The tank is still kicking and it was actually in the latest video! I am planning on either plumbing a new tank into this system or upgrading...not sure yet. I had an idea of plumbing a 22 gallon long and doing a display refugium where I put any aggressive/non-reef-safe additions (aka my demon clownfish).

Here it is in its current state. I'll try to get some better pictures soon

JBIRu58.jpg

• Like 1