Coral Vue Hydros

Hammerstone's Tank

Hammerstone

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hammerstone

AA24C3E1-780A-46AA-8501-A10BB2920C9D_zps

This photo is almost five days after cleaning it for four hours. It's kind of a side shot.? I just kind of quit everything but feeding just to see how quickly the tank would go bad. It was immediate. Very embarrassing and depressing. It needs the tear down and have the Phoenix rise from the ashes.

Good reference shot Hammer. I like that you posted how it looks like without having just cleaned it.

Before you dip your rock in peroxide, take a toothbrush and remove as much of the organic material as you can quickly (don't spend hours on it though, maybe just a minute or two for each rock).

That does look imposing (Daunting?) to me..but that is just me.

If it were mine, I'd take everyone's suggestions to heart and do what is needed.

Hammerstone, its not that bad- totally fixable.

Totally agree.

Once it is under control, or u feel it is. I would contact John @ reefcleaners.org and well, here is a link to "Custom Clean up crew".

https://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php/custom-clean-up-crew

Is easy to follow and John is very good at what he does! I just recently (Tuesday) filled the form for a new crew.

There is HOPE! And we are here for ya!

Just trying to encourage You :grouphug::flower:

Hammerstone

Thank you for the support and hugs! It is daunting but I did it before I took the first picture and that was really hard because it was in the tank. It was minus taking out the rocks and sand. I know I can do it. I just have to figure out the water situation and mix my very first salt and have more containers. The pet store is an hour away and sometimes my husband won't help.

Hammerstone

Oh and don't worry, I'm going to do a cleaning tomorrow with a toothbrush to get all the cyano out (again) and clean the glass. My fish won't be left hanging!!??

Oh and don't worry, I'm going to do a cleaning tomorrow with a toothbrush PEROXIDE to get all the cyano out (again) and clean the glass. My fish won't be left hanging!!

great news! (i fixed that for you ^^ ) ;)

Hammerstone

That does look imposing (Daunting?) to me..but that is just me.

If it were mine, I'd take everyone's suggestions to heart and do what is needed.

Totally agree.

Once it is under control, or u feel it is. I would contact John @ reefcleaners.org and well, here is a link to "Custom Clean up crew".

https://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php/custom-clean-up-crew

Is easy to follow and John is very good at what he does! I just recently (Tuesday) filled the form for a new crew.

There is HOPE! And we are here for ya!

Just trying to encourage You :grouphug::flower:

i love hugs, you cheered me up!! About my order from John, I got a wonderful order a few weeks ago with way more snails than ordered. They were all alive and I was very pleased and will order from him again in the future.

I ordered snails with the optional hermit crabs. Unfortunately the white hermits devoured and killed all of my snails. That was just a fluke because there is a pile of shells that I had ordered a long time ago for the hermits. It was just natures way, Darwinism, whatever but I have no snails now. That was Noones fault and John was great to work with and I will order again. I'll rehome those hermits and get a snail order only.

i love hugs, you cheered me up!! About my order from John, I got a wonderful order a few weeks ago with way more snails than ordered. They were all alive and I was very pleased and will order from him again in the future.

I ordered snails with the optional hermit crabs. Unfortunately the white hermits devoured and killed all of my snails. That was just a fluke because there is a pile of shells that I had ordered a long time ago for the hermits. It was just natures way, Darwinism, whatever but I have no snails now. That was Noones fault and John was great to work with and I will order again. I'll rehome those hermits and get a snail order only.

You should ask john about the hermits eating the snails because thats not really normal. Snails may have died first, then hermits did their job of cleaning them up. Really, send john an email and ask him about it.

Hammerstone

You should ask john about the hermits eating the snails because thats not really normal. Snails may have died first, then hermits did their job of cleaning them up. Really, send john an email and ask him about it.

Iam kind of a shy person, and if all of them died or were actually dead iam not sure as I scattered them around my tank. I must say that I never saw them on the walls or anywhere really. I just looked into the holes of the shells and saw they were inhabited and assumed that they were okay. I would wait to replace them until I do the big clean. But it is strange looking back that I never saw them out and about, I just assumed they were nocturnal? It is possible looking back that they were doa and I didn't know it and the crabs were doing their jobs and not just murdering them?

I Believe that On Reffcleaners or somewhere, it says to give snails a few days to see movement.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please!

Hammerstone

I Believe that On Reffcleaners or somewhere, it says to give snails a few days to see movement.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please!

yeah I've only heard good things about John and I did receive more than ordered so I was satisfied, it's just the only thing that was seen by my eyes was the hermits eating the snails. Even the tiny ones?

Iam kind of a shy person, and if all of them died or were actually dead iam not sure as I scattered them around my tank. I must say that I never saw them on the walls or anywhere really. I just looked into the holes of the shells and saw they were inhabited and assumed that they were okay. I would wait to replace them until I do the big clean. But it is strange looking back that I never saw them out and about, I just assumed they were nocturnal? It is possible looking back that they were doa and I didn't know it and the crabs were doing their jobs and not just murdering them?

it is possible. More likely that you didn't acclimate them properly, or your water params are not within a range that they were use to-generally salinity or pH.

Is this what your crabs are like? I would hate for you to add more snails only to have them ate again. I think we should get an ID on the hermits.

whitehermit2_zpsed0ca32b.jpg

Hammerstone

No, they have the same size claws but are white like that, they barely look like they have a barely visible black stripe on the legs.

it is possible. More likely that you didn't acclimate them properly, or your water params are not within a range that they were use to-generally salinity or pH.

I just let it go because everyone has had good luck with them. I did the temp acclimation and then half a cup of tank water, wait twenty minutes, do it again, then dump it out and do it one more time like I always do. I'm not blaming anyone.

No, they have the same size claws but are white like that, they barely look like they have a barely visible black stripe on the legs.

I just let it go because everyone has had good luck with them. I did the temp acclimation and then half a cup of tank water, wait twenty minutes, do it again, then dump it out and do it one more time like I always do. I'm not blaming anyone.

For reef cleaners, you temp acclimate and then directly add them, do not slowly acclimate because of the ammonia from shipping. Float them and dump them.

https://www.reefcleaners.org/acclimation

I always lose some but the majority should survive.

Hammerstone

For reef cleaners, you temp acclimate and then directly add them, do not slowly acclimate because of the ammonia from shipping. Float them and dump them.

https://www.reefcleaners.org/acclimation

I always lose some but the majority should survive.

I just saw one tiny nassarius. All I remember is the crabs eating all of the snails. I just took it for a loss. After I do the deep clean and when and if needed I'm just going to order more snails in the hope that it was a fluke or that all the cyano became toxic, or something. If they don't look lively at all on the first day at all I'll take a photo and email him and tell him what happened with the first bit. Now I'm just more confused. There are so many unknowns. Everyone else iam sure gets the same hermits that I got. I just don't know.

I just saw one tiny nassarius. All I remember is the crabs eating all of the snails. I just took it for a loss. After I do the deep clean and when and if needed I'm just going to order more snails in the hope that it was a fluke or that all the cyano became toxic, or something. If they don't look lively at all on the first day at all I'll take a photo and email him and tell him what happened with the first bit. Now I'm just more confused. There are so many unknowns. Everyone else iam sure gets the same hermits that I got. I just don't know.

I'm just saying to follow his acclimation guide, John knows his stuff!

Could the snails have died first, and then the crabs ate them? While I've seen some aggression with hermits, I haven't ever witnessed that sort of carnage.

Yep, we've speculated about this before.

I suppose that the cyano could have had negatively affected your snails. However, acclimation of snails typically isn't problem; here are their acclimation instructions: http://www.reefcleaners.org/acclimation

Hammerstone

Yep, we've speculated about this before.

I suppose that the cyano could have had negatively affected your snails. However, acclimation of snails typically isn't problem; here are their acclimation instructions: http://www.reefcleaners.org/acclimation

From now on I'll just dump them in. I know John is an expert so I'm not blaming him. I think it was a fluke. Who knows and I'll leave it at that. He was generous. That goes a long way with me.

Oh and don't worry, I'm going to do a cleaning tomorrow with a toothbrush to get all the cyano out (again) and clean the glass. My fish won't be left hanging!!

Cyano has to be siphoned out or it will go and settle somewhere else. It isn't like diatoms that you can blow off, it has to be taken out of the tank.

With your snail shipment, you must check to see if they are alive. I place them right side up in one area of the tank, and they scatter. If any don't move, I'll examine them closer. You can smell them if you are unsure (a dead snail has quite an odor).

Cyano has to be siphoned out or it will go and settle somewhere else. It isn't like diatoms that you can blow off, it has to be taken out of the tank.

I agree, in your display tank, stick with siphoning it out.

When I told you to use a toothbrush to remove organics before the peroxide dip, I was talking about doing this outside the tank (in a separate bucket).

You just have to break it down and quit spending hours on temporary fixes.

Archived