inTank Media Baskets

Hammerstone's Tank

Hammerstone

Hammerstone - the hype is real. 5 minutes and 44 cents worth of peroxide used above.

Seabass - thanks for everything you do for the community . I think the lost coralline on the rock was because it had been eclipsed in a ball of chaeto in the sump.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cyano is a pain. It goes "away" only to reappear which I found could be within hrs to days.

My solution to my cyano issues was finding the source and fixing it. Until the source isn't fixed- cleaning and water changes just keep it in check.

Thanks cruiZe.

I think the lost coralline on the rock was because it had been eclipsed in a ball of chaeto in the sump.

You know, I'm not sure that peroxide doesn't have any effect on coralline. While coralline algae can usually withstand several peroxide treatments, I've also lost coralline in a tank that I treated multiple times. But it's hard to pin it all on the peroxide, as I had done several things which might have affected it.

Hammerstone

You're right Seabass. My sand bed still looks like crap. I was hoping that my phosphate removal was going to fix things. Is the peroxide the kind we use to debreed a wound? Like at the store?

Short answer: yes. It should be less than a buck for a 32oz bottle.

Long answer: ideally, it would be food grade, but that's harder to come by. There are some unlisted ingredients in typical antisieptic peroxide, so I don't recommend dosing it into a display tank. But yes (for dips), I am talking about using the 3% hydrogen peroxide that you can pick up at any drug store or pharmacy aisle.

Elizabeth94

My experience with coralline and peroxide..

I have used peroxide on problem areas in my tank during water changes. When the water level was below the affected area, I would put a few drops on that way. There was a spot with coralline that I was targeting, and the it did turn completely white for a few days. However, it did come back after about a week- to its full purple coloring.

Not sure if this will happen to everyone, but it is just my experience.

Hammerstone

OK my happiness was short lived. The purple cyano is coming back. I have four RFAs in the sand. Do I gently cradle them out? Stick them in bags? I have a tiny zoa colony not on a plug, directly glued to a rock. Won't this kill the good bacteria in the rocks? This would take a weekend to do. I'll reread what you wrote Seabass. Someone said they had to do the rocks twice.

Won't this turn my live rock into base rock? If iam going to do this id need to get the supplies this weekend and start it next weekend. I rely on my husband to drive over the hill into the valley as it's windy and dangerous. We even have tons of windmills.

OK my happiness was short lived. The purple cyano is coming back.

I'm sorry to hear this, but glad it's soaking in.

I have four RFAs in the sand. Do I gently cradle them out? Stick them in bags? I have a tiny zoa colony not on a plug, directly glued to a rock.

Since they are in the sand, you will want to remove them last. Most of the time their foot is attached firmly to something solid. In this case, it is probably the bottom of the tank. But don't worry, you'll be able to get them free.

First, siphon the sand away from the anemones. Then take a plastic scraper, or credit card, and gently and slowly start to push the scraper under the foot. You'll probably have to work your way around the perimeter in order for it to release.

I usually wear gloves when working with them. Here I removed a RFA from the corner of one of my tanks:

My anemone decided to move last night:

031411a.jpg

It's strange because they tend to stay put.

I'm not very comfortable about its new home:

031411b.jpg

First scraper:

031411c.jpg

Second scraper:

031411d.jpg

Free:

031411e.jpg

I hope it's happy here:

031411f.jpg

You could rinse it in saltwater (I don't feel you need to use peroxide, although they can tolerate peroxide dips).

I would put them in a Tupperware container with some saltwater until they are ready to be returned.

Go ahead and dip the zoanthid rock in peroxide as outlined.

Won't this kill the good bacteria in the rocks?

No.

This would take a weekend to do.

Breaking it down and cleaning it will take several hours.

Someone said they had to do the rocks twice.

It can take multiple dips. I'd plan on up to three, separated by at least a week in between. The subsequent dips won't take very long, as you won't have to break down your tank each time.

Won't this turn my live rock into base rock?

No, the denitrifying bacteria will be fine, but you might lose pods and bristle worms.
Hammerstone

Thank you for showing me the RFA removal step by step. My tank already went to hell in like three days. I haven't been scrubbing everyday. I just feel heartache when I see the tank. I can't wait until I look forward to seeing my tank again. Don't worry, my pets are still very well cared for. I just pay attention to them. I need to get a picture for you guys again.

My tank already went to hell in like three days. I haven't been scrubbing everyday. I just feel heartache when I see the tank.

That's why we keep pushing you to break it down. But like I said, it's totally fixable.

Hammerstone

California in the centeral valley. It's a Cow town.

You guys have convinced me. I once read something like, "Why should you keep a tank if your not willing to keep it beautiful". That stuck with me. Now it's just a matter of getting all the supplies and enough buckets. When we moved here we had a uhaul truck. Now we have cars. It's about an hours drive. Buckets are cheap. I just needed to hear your voices again. I'm convinced.

Luckily it's hot and not winter so I don't have to worry about the buckets Getting cold in the house.

What was the ratio of 3% HP to salt water in a 5 gallon bucket again?

Lots of people seem to be mentioning Fiji pink live sand. What color sand would y'all recommend. I want to do a smaller, shorter sand bed this time.

Fiji pink sand is good (and very popular). It's not really pink, I'd say it looks like regular "white" sand.

You don't dilute the hydrogen peroxide. Pour three gallons of it (twelve 32oz bottles) into the bucket, and mix in a cup and a half of salt mix (just like you would do to make regular saltwater, except using peroxide instead of RO/DI).

Hammerstone

Guess what? I just bought the store out of 32 oz Hydrogen Peroxide. I bought six. So I am starting.

Am I asking too many questions or bugging you to much? Let me know. I'm a worrier as I've said and I'm a talker. I think of y'all as people/reefer friends I can confide in. If that's too much let me know!

fishfreak0114

I have Fiji pink and and I really like it. It is quite white. The grain size is good, it doesn't blow around (unless there's a power head aimed at it of course).

Hammerstone

I have Fiji pink and and I really like it. It is quite white. The grain size is good, it doesn't blow around (unless there's a power head aimed at it of course).

my husband originally set up this tank and got bored with it. I can't live without fish. Thank you for telling me about the sand. He put in white live sand with fresh water river Rock pebbles on top. Probably half my problem!

Guess what? I just bought the store out of 32 oz Hydrogen Peroxide. I bought six. So I am starting.

Awesome! Three gallons isn't a magic number; I just find that most rocks can be fully submerged in three gallons of water in a five gallon bucket.

Am I asking too many questions or bugging you to much? Let me know. I'm a worrier as I've said and I'm a talker. I think of y'all as people/reefer friends I can confide in. If that's too much let me know!

It's fine, I'm just glad you've decided to move forward.

I have fiji pink sand as well, but it's not at all pink. Maybe on the beaches in Fiji it looks pink. I don't think any of us think you are asking too many questions, and those that do have the option to ignore them. We want to see you make progress and love your tank. It is very rewarding to see the beauty and growth that you know you created. I also think of Nano Reefers as my friends. Wouldn't it be great if we could all get together somewhere and meet? As for me being able to physically help you, sorry, I am 6000 miles away on the opposite coast.

Glad to hear you are starting up the overhaul. The work will be worth the reward :)

I too have fiji pink in my 15g. I love the grain size, to get it to blow around takes direct flow from a powerhead. The pink really isn't pink, the pink pebbles get a tan tinge with time.

Fyi- Don't get the black sand. I have it in my 10g and it is beautiful but the grain size at its smallest is too big. The sand is harder to maintain...within days I have dusting on it and crap is trapped. I vacuum weekly but still an issue. Nassarius have a harder time getting in there too.

Hammerstone

Thank you guys for your responses!!?

Yeah, I don't want to be a person who loses their tank due to frustration. I had a fresh water tank that had a mated

Pair of large angels and twenty Rasboras in it for twenty years. Before that I have always had other fresh water fish. Now I'm into salt and I plan to stay that way for the rest of my life, with maybe some freshy tanks too. But I know I've got to do this tear down for the health of my fish and for my enjoyment to come back!!!?Yay to happiness, after the hard work?❤️

Hammerstone

I'll try to take pictures again. It should be easier this time. Right now it's a purple and green mess.

I feel so blessed that I have so many people interested in helping me!!??

Archived