Cultivated Reef

The "15" Gallon Retirement Home

Alexraptor

A lot has changed, for better or worse. 

My mother fell ill and passed last fall, and during those dark months, i sadly lost a grip on things in my tank. My forest fire and bubblegum monti's died. Did get an Acropora Efflorescens on the cheap at summers end that's surprisingly been doing really well. Star polyps oddly enough have bleached for some unknown reason, zoas are exploding in growth, and the green ones got moved offthe sand to have more space to grow!

Also stuffed some dragons tongue macro into the crevices and overhands.

Reef61L-2023-07-15.thumb.jpg.b8d181e2ae38eff91254b65695efda23.jpg

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
48 minutes ago, Alexraptor said:

A lot has changed, for better or worse. 

My mother fell ill and passed last fall, and during those dark months, i sadly lost a grip on things in my tank. My forest fire and bubblegum monti's died. Did get an Acropora Efflorescens on the cheap at summers end that's surprisingly been doing really well. Star polyps oddly enough have bleached for some unknown reason, zoas are exploding in growth, and the green ones got moved offthe sand to have more space to grow!

Also stuffed some dragons tongue macro into the crevices and overhands.

Reef61L-2023-07-15.thumb.jpg.b8d181e2ae38eff91254b65695efda23.jpg

Sorry to hear about your mother's passing. 😢

The tank still looks beautiful though. I'm assuming the giant green mound in the middle is a zoa colony. Whatever it is, it looks amazing. And the monticap plating out on the left is exceptionally cool too. 🌺

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Sorry to hear about your mother's passing. 😢

The tank still looks beautiful though. I'm assuming the giant green mound in the middle is a zoa colony. Whatever it is, it looks amazing. And the monticap plating out on the left is exceptionally cool too. 🌺

Thanks you.

And yes it is. It was just a frag on a small rock on a stone, but now it was smooshing itself against the front glass. 😄 The monti cap is old, and growing like a weed. I've so many pruned chunks of it now, i literally don't know what to do with them all! Keep hoping the green one behind it, will manage to come out ahead of the growth. 🙂

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
27 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Possibly get a credit at your LFS or trade with fellow local reefers

^Deb's idea is very good. This is what I do with excess frags from my nano. My LFS accepts store credit for most of them, but I allow the store to set the trade-off price. Normally I just swap some corals in for new frags at the store, or even CUC (snails etc.). 

I'm sure your store would love to have some chunks of your monti whenever you frag it. It looks so healthy! :happy:

Alas, no local LFS around here I'm afraid. Plus we have very strict laws here involing trade of CITES-listed animals, which complicates matters further. Even just trading/selling frags between hobbyists is a bit of a gray-zone.

But thanks, its one of my pride and joys. Also learned over the years that the key to keeping it healthy, is to prune off any parts/edges showing signs of tissue recession and algae growth.  🙂

• 1 month later...

An old friend has found its way back, although had quite a makeover since we parted ways 9 year ago. See that Yellow Monti back on page 1? They are the same!

montiFrag-KT2014-DaughterReturned2023.thumb.jpg.af2d1e0d8bc9a6f4136e68b89b84d975.jpg

9 years ago I traded away a frag from the mother colony, and this week I was able to aquire a frag from the still extant daughter colony that my original frag produced. Its a major shift in colors, but not an entirely unexpected one, given that this is how my old colony looked, before things went wrong:
OldMonthColony.thumb.jpg.63a8559c2579c1b7d0d966e68cee8fb2.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Did a little reorganizing recently.

The base of my efflo was dying off from being shaded and encroached on by shrooms. So i decided to cut it down a bit, and move the base and frag plug/stone to another tank, to regrow into a new colony. Turned out pretty good all in all, and the colony blends must better with its surroundings. Naturally I also cleard out all the shrooms surrounding it. 🙂

Reef61L-2023-09-05.thumb.jpg.7ea83223b85841d0d9ea878ee97a1edf.jpg

Reef61LCornerView.thumb.jpg.abb9608f62d982c0755fb7cbbee84a2b.jpg

It's also starting to color up quite nicely now. Definitely the best value coral I've ever bought.

AcroEffloColorUp.thumb.jpg.aabcd1c482d24bd832bce3ea3fac7f9f.jpg

Have to say it's also pretty cool seeing an acro produce both encrusting, branching and plating growth. 🙂

• Like 1