SaltCritters.com

Are Corals Pets?

RC1313

my logic is: if it lives with you, you feed it, care for it, and it doesn't walk on two legs it's a pet (except for people who have had an amputated legs and babies who don't know how to walk yet)

so by your logic, and I had to laugh because it was a good answer, my bird is not a pet. he is a people... I guess that is accurate considering that thing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nano_MC_reef

so by your logic, and I had to laugh because it was a good answer, my bird is not a pet. he is a people... I guess that is accurate considering that thing.

okay then my logic is: if it lives with you, you feed it, care for it, and it doesn't walk on two legs it's a pet (except for people who have had an amputated legs and babies who don't know how to walk yet) and it has feathers, fur, or scales IT'S A PET!!!!

I consider my husband a pet ;P or what about a pet worm, no legs, fur or scales :P Now I am getting evil ;)

nano_MC_reef

I consider my husband a pet ;P or what about a pet worm, no legs, fur or scales :P Now I am getting evil ;)

ragfragmcafafriga :rant: GGGGGRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH :rant::rant::rant:

nano_MC_reef

well i got nothin

I disagree. I think you'd be best off having them write this exception in the lease itself. Ask them what would be acceptable and stick to it. While they probably wouldn't kick you out, they might make you get rid of it (if they found out).

I wish there were symbols we used for "tones" of course not telling them is a dumb idea

:unsure: maybe i should've thought about that ill edit my previous reply so that its not so offensive. sorry about that :unsure:

Wait I was joking. My bad, my sense of humor doesn't come across so good in type sometimes, totally didn't mean to make you feel guilty. And I wasn't making fun of disabled people, just my wife, but don't tell her. She has two legs, at least until she steps on my "julians thing" feeder again and cracks another tip.

I wish there were symbols we used for "tones" of course not telling them is a dumb idea

Yeah, it's so hard to convey tone without a bunch of silly emoticons (which I sometimes feel can be just as annoying and often still don't convey the intended tone). I usually try not to offend, but am not always as PC as I could be. Oh well, I meant nothing negative by it.

So you can have a small tank no problems but NO FISH in the tank? But why? Are fish to loud?

If it is alive and not a human and it lives in your house it is a pet it may be a ugly pet but a pet non the less

Alexraptor

So you can have a small tank no problems but NO FISH in the tank? But why? Are fish to loud?

If it is alive and not a human and it lives in your house it is a pet it may be a ugly pet but a pet non the less

Maybe they watched finding Nemo? :)

I don't count corals or even fish as pets to be honest, interesting to see how many people do though.

my logic is: if it lives with you, you feed it, care for it, and it doesn't walk on two legs it's a pet (except for people who have had an amputated legs and babies who don't know how to walk yet)

By that logic any plant would be a pet as well no? Not being as ass, just playing devil's advocate :owned:
smeagol108

As corals are from the animalia kingdom, I would say they are pets while plants are from the plantae kingdom.

As corals are from the animalia kingdom, I would say they are pets while plants are from the plantae kingdom.

but can you have a pet plant?

Yeah, it's so hard to convey tone without a bunch of silly emoticons (which I sometimes feel can be just as annoying and often still don't convey the intended tone). I usually try not to offend, but am not always as PC as I could be. Oh well, I meant nothing negative by it.

I only accept apologies in the form of a frag offering;)

I'd still see if he'd write it on the lease agreement.

Most leases are really just boiler plate documents pulled from the internet. Really don't have any interest in writing a new lease each time as it would have to go through a lengthy legal process. It's easier to make exceptions when requested than having them written in and on the plus side, if we don't approve of a particular animal we can just point to the lease.

Side note. Consider renters insurance with water damage addon. If for some reason the tank leaks or something that damages your floor, your insurance should cover it.

That lease is specifying no fish bowl or pets- so having an aquarium with any livestock and water falls under the no fish bowl/pets.

The landlord is doing due diligence, its to prevent damage. Its a common rule amongst a lot of landlords.

You can be honest and possibly sign a waiver and prove you are insured and any damage caused by your tank will be your responsibility- but its still up to your landlord.

Corals are Therapy/Service animals... Necessary for emotional support and maintenance of sanity. They must be excepted from the lease. (caveat: you might need to be mentally disabled :unsure: )

Seriously, just ask the landlord to sign an addendum allowing an aquarium up to X gallons and if necessary agree to maintain renters insurance that covers any related damage.

Hammerstone

I think a tank is a form of therapy. Seriously. It has a calming effect on me. Unless there is a problem of course. Then you/I stress about it. Lol.

nano_MC_reef

Corals: No central nervous system = not a pet :P

jellyfish have no brain, heart, or central nervous system and people keep them as pets

pet1
pet/
noun
  1. 1.
    a domestic or tamed animal or bird kept for companionship or pleasure and treated with care and affection.
verb
  1. 1.
    stroke or pat (an animal) affectionately.

Are they domesticated or tamed? Technically No.

Are you affectionate with them? Presumably No.

If you don't pet your pets are the still pets? Arguably No.

;)

(Who am I to say, I sleep with mine...) :lol:

pet1

pet/

noun

1. 1.

a domestic or tamed animal or bird kept for companionship or pleasure and treated with care and affection.

"the pony was a family pet"

adjective

1. 1.

denoting a thing that one devotes special attention to or feels particularly strongly about.

modifier noun: pet

"another of her pet projects was the arts center"

synonyms: favorite, favored, cherished, dear to one's heart; More

verb

1. 1.

stroke or pat (an animal) affectionately.

"the cats came to be petted"

synonyms: stroke, caress, fondle, pat

"the cats came to be petted"

It's probably in the lease "just because" and more meant for larger tanks. I'm sure if he asked he could have a small fish. I bet people have bettas and stuff in small tanks. I just can't imagine a land lord saying "get rid of that betta or move out!" :lol:

My lease says no large water filled furniture, ect but I asked about a 75g reef tank and they okay'd it but I made it clear the tank was brand new on a solid aquarium oak stand and had a leak detector. They said "sounds like you are experienced, its no problem".

I'm sure the problem is when people buy huge old tanks from the 1990's and put them on random furniture that may or may not collapse or uneven causing stress on the panels. Heck I've seen big tanks on small dressers where each end is hanging off the side.

Ya got to write a million stipulations in the lease because new renters sometimes turn out to be irresponsible.

Archived