Innovative Marine Aquariums

Are Corals Pets?

RC1313

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to clarify I can also have fish! Although currently the tank has no fish and no food has been in it for months and its an absolute algae factory :D got my work cut out for me this summer

Considering there are some many educational poster on beach and public aquarium about corals are alive, which means it's not common acknowledge fact among the public, I bet you can convince landlord coral is not live animal, and it's just a type of pretty rocks ...

Hammerstone

Considering there are some many educational poster on beach and public aquarium about corals are alive, which means it's not common acknowledge fact among the public, I bet you can convince landlord coral is not live animal, and it's just a type of pretty rocks ...

just call them a type of ocean seaweed. The guy likely wouldn't know the difference

Just to clarify I can also have fish! Although currently the tank has no fish and no food has been in it for months and its an absolute algae factory :D got my work cut out for me this summer

My opinion is not to sweat it if it's not actually written in the lease.

My lease also stated no pets/animals similar to what your lease says. When looking at my last apartment, I let the landlord know I had a cat, but he said he was ok with it. 2 months later I called and asked if I could have a 20 gallon (was actually a biocube 29, but like he would know) aquarium and he said sure. Another year later I asked to add a second 10 gallon aquarium (was actually an IM20) and again he said that would be fine.

No issues. But I was also not a problem tenant. I always paid rent on time and I never had anyone complain about me. As long as you and your roommates behave, there should be no issues. If so, your landlord is just a jerk.

Polarcollision

I figured most people would consider them pets, especially since corals are animals (I myself consider them pets).

Plus the snails etc.

I honestly have no other options I am in a tiny college town and my roommates took forever to decide what they wanted so this is the only thing in our budget we could find. The other weird thing is I asked about it on our tour and he said "depending on the size I would let you have it" and seemed fine when I mentioned it held about 5 gallons of water... but now I'm not sure and don't want to be surprised with getting kicked out mid-semester because of my small reef.

Pretty bummed because although my family tried their best I have come home to a small tank filled with algae and about 1/4 of the coral I had when I left.

Thanks for the replies!

Ask the landlord if renters insurance would cover their concerns. And then GET IT IN WRITING from the insurance company that they will cover aquariums.

We can consider aquariums as a non pet but for legal purposes it is.

A landlord has the right to terminate your lease if you don't abide by it.

Its more than a paper- its a legal and binding contract.

They cannot document every single creature one might keep as a pet but they all fall under the terms of pet.

If it clearly states no pets, fish bowl etc. You need permission in writing from the landlord

I don't even consider rentals of any kind with "no pets". It's a total lazyness on the owners part. It reduces their expenses to fix things and at the same time will probably charge the same rate. Find a real landlord.

:unsure: maybe i should've thought about that ill edit my previous reply so that its not so offensive. sorry about that :unsure:

Nah, don't listen to Jimmyree - pretty sure there's never anything serious coming out of his mouth and I'm 99.9999999% certain he's joking. I reserve the .00000000001% in the event he did actually decide to be serious...

I consider my husband a pet ;P or what about a pet worm, no legs, fur or scales :P Now I am getting evil ;)

THIS

Yup, I gotta agree! I have lots of pets - fish, coral, snails, crabs, three dogs, two cats and a husband.

Archived