Coral Vue Hydros

Jclipse 12 Custom Conversion (1yr old)

jaguilar

Looks good. Nice clam

Be careful of the MH sitting on top of your tank like that. It might burn your corals and melt your tank. Also the temp is going to be an issue. If you are just using the MH just for pics than it's ok for a short period of time.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the mh fixture was just put on my eclipse for picture purposes only. it was never left on there long enough to burn anything. but that fixture will be sitting directly on top of my new 20h which i will be setting up next week. i don't think heat will be much of an issue, considering that the mh hood has a 4" fan blowing hot air out of the fixture. the entire hood is made out of acrylic, so i don't think i'll have to worry about anything melting.

btw, here is a pic of the 2x32w retro that is currently being used in my eclipse12. i will be trying to sell this thing as soon as i move all my stuff to a 20h, so if anyone is interested in it, please let me know. i can sell the entire eclipse12 hood with the retro kit in it, or i can remove it and sell the retro kit by itself. and the hood already has two blue led moonlights installed in it that i would give away along with the hood.

*edit- the 2x32 retro was already sold.... this is an old thread..

481747_2x32w_retro.jpg

Originally posted by jaguilar

i don't think heat will be much of an issue, considering that the mh hood has a 4" fan blowing hot air out of the fixture.  the entire hood is made out of acrylic, so i don't think i'll have to worry about anything melting.

Those fans are to cool the hood not the tank. Try placing your hand a few inches below the MH and your hand will start to warm up a lot.

I've placed my hand a few inches directly under my 150W 10k MH for less than 20 seconds and it really started to hurt. yes I also have a 4" fan blowing into the hood.

MH lights can melt/ warp acrylic. I know from experiance. I had my MH sitting 4" above my tank and it warped the center brace.

well, i have a small clip-on fan that will sit directly above the tank(see last pic). the only problem is that after i have the 175w fixture sitting on top of my 20h, there's only a small strip of water that will be exposed to the air, approx 2"x24". i don't know how much of a difference that will make on the tanks temp. any suggestions?.?.?....

cliffrouse11baseball

Everything looks good to me. I get tired of people criticizing. If you want to try a clam under 64 watts that is your money and business. Now if it was under NO output bulbs or just one 32 I would be worried, but nice tank and nice pics. Good Luck with the 20...

jaguilar -that fan should still help out a lot. But beware of the evaporation it will cause. You can also get a chiller later if the fans aren't doing it for but chillers are not cheap.

cliff, thanks for the praise...

tigs, thanks for the help. i hope the fan can help my heat situation, cause i'm pretty sure a chiller is out of the question for now. evaporation shouldn't be much of a problem, because i've gotten in the habit of topping-off every single night. but do you think the fan will make a difference with only 2"x24" of surface water exposed in the back?.?... maybe it will help if i take the lid off of the ac200 that i will have running on the back of the tank.

i'm really dreading this tank transfer that i will have to make in two days..... but i'm sure it will all be worth it. if you think my corals look nice now under the current light set-up, just wait till you see them under my new hamilton 175w 14k bulb.....

well people, the 'jclipse12 custom conversion' is no longer. after a five hour move, i have everything settled into the 20high. and i must say, my 175w metal halide fixture is superb, especially with my new hamilton 14k bulb. i must now give thanks and praise to the almighty whitey (palaegic), without whom none of this would have been possible. so thanks don, you truly are a saint of the CoIa.... i got a few pics of the new tank that i took about an hour after the move was complete. slightly murky, but thanks to an ingenius suggestion from kennerd, that was kept at a minimum.

now here's a pic of the full tank. before you all try to flame me for throwing my corals under direct halides after coming from pc's, these pics were taken right before i went to home depot to get some window screen to slowly aclimate them to the new lights. they were only under full intensity mh for about an hour and a half.

this will be the last pic for now, at least until my tank is settled and acclimated to it's new lighting. but i'll probably start a new thread for that one.

another pic of the 'mad'slimer.... i hope this d00d turns out ok.

incidentally, a part of that slimer was exposed to air for about half an hour. i accidentally kicked the container that it was in, making a mess on the floor. i got busy cleaning up the mess and didn't even notice the coral sticking about 1-2" out of the water. it was a little over 30 minutes before i noticed it and added more water to the container. i'm sure that has a lot to do with it being so pissed off. do you guys think that it will be ok?

thanks cliff... the camera was borrowed from my mom, it's the Kodak easyshare dx4530 with 5mp. it's an awesome camera, very user-friendly. and i probably won't take anymore pics until i have completely acclimated my tank to the new lighting. there's several sheets of window screen between the mh bulb and the tank, blocking out a lot of light(still very bright). i'll wait until the light can be viewed unfiltered in all it's glory. but like i said, i'll probably start a new thread for those pics.

i was fooling around with the camera again, and i decided to take a few more pics of the new tank. the water's a lot more clear, and almost everything seems settled. i haven't fully acclimated my tank to the new lights, because there's still some window screen between the mh bulb and the tank. but it's still pretty bright.

this first pic is an update on the "pissed off" bali slimer that you saw previously. he doesn't seem so mad anymore, but you can see some slight bleaching towards the top of the coral. i'm pretty sure he'll turn out ok.

as you can see, there was another victim from this move, my green torch lost a head after the whole thing was done. don't know what caused it, it just shut down and died.

Archived