ReefCleaners.org

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

Hi Everybody!

You all have been so amazing. I love having a hobby family. And thank you also for interest in the leather thread, Leather is for Lovers! And personally, all I own is some pleather!

As some of you already know, I wanted to take this in a new exploratory way and learn about a new-for-me classification of corals. So...this will be a rock flower, leather & softy, macro gorg tank. I have enjoyed some recent videos and many, many pics both in the leather thread and StellaBlue's Softie thread she began.

Yesterday----20 lbs Live Reeflakes and 30 lbs Mesoflakes

20160317_220104_zps4sgjz4pg.jpg

Today---- My NanoBox Quad thanks to Dave and the uber thoughtfullness of everyone that helped me out after the electrocution. And if you would, because there are so many threads on this forum, if you'd shoot me your NR name, I'd like to follow your thread too if I don't. I've learned so much by reading about other's threads.

20160317_220309_zpsqhefcekz.jpg

And the history if you weren't following. I had a 60g Deep Blue Shallow filled with rock flowers. But....it succumbed to the cyanodinodamnitall and it won. I had some babies but they didn't stand a chance living. Some were way premature.

3023_zps9aa1cbe2.jpg

005_zpsf13ccf2c.jpg

006_zpsb385be25.jpg

20150128_193210_zpsfh1i8yi5.jpg

3035_zps818906d4.jpg

And then..it started changing

20150202_200548_zps0eybgzzk.jpg

20150310_184001_zpsq890muwy.jpg

20150316_180737_zpsta4dq8ho.jpg

20150522_204030_zpsomv5hhtu.jpg

Then I emptied the tank, later sold it to someone locally about 3 mos ago and they have an extremely lovely lps tank.

So then I split up the nems, putting them in Maiden's Voyage before it looked cluttered....

001_zpsa2c9692c.jpg
and Gertie's tank wherein she proceeded to beat up ones that were in her way- had casualties.

20150829_160626_zpsd4pxnleb.jpg
Then I moved. Excited again with a 40g painted black and had black mini gravel, I put most of all the corals from Maiden's Voyage and all nems from both tanks into the 40. Zapped it when my elbow hit the egg crate that the Kessil was sitting atop of as it hadn't been mounted to the wall. No electrical noise when it splashed into the water by an inch.
No pop, no zing, no zap, snap, crackle or pop sound to know there was current. 2 hrs later everything's contorting, droopy, urchins spineless. Fish survived & moved to other tanks, duncans, grandis paly and Lil' Bit my maxima survived ironically.
There were no nem survivors.
20150517_222049_zpsjr2wvl8a.jpg

Some of the beauties I lost.
DSC_0012_120__79835.1426881925.1280.1280
DSC_0003_150__30031.1426881450.1280.1280
20160116_153336_zpsua5vzj3l.jpg
And I sobbed, bad, knowing that I was helpless to make them survive and I was mad at myself.
And here I am now.
1.5 hrs and 3 razor blades later...
20160317_220202_zps25zf86nk.jpg
20160317_201519_zpsicdp4apv.jpg

• Like 19

Glad to see things are starting to come together on a new tank! Shoot open that nanobox and show us what it looks like :lol: that thing will work sweet of the 40.

I had to do the same thing to a 40 as the paint bubbled a little so scraped it and started over.........

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

• Like 2

Following :happydance: so did you lose all your corals and RFA's?

All rfas, I thought one was going to make it but it was goop the next day.

Duncans, grandis paly and Lil' Bit my maxima survived ironically. Fish survived, I quickly moved them too when I saw the urchins dead. 6line and diamond goby are in with Gertie and they all leave each other alone. The purple green spotted huge chalice was in the 10g so it never went into that water, and Gena's leather had also not been put in there as it went to Gertie's tank. Lost my beautiful bowerbanki, brain, zoas, acans, my beautiful encrusting war corals, big huge mushroom I got from Frank at VIP.

Glad to see things are starting to come together on a new tank! Shoot open that nanobox and show us what it looks like :lol: that thing will work sweet of the 40.

I had to do the same thing to a 40 as the paint bubbled a little so scraped it and started over.........

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

I just changed my mind to go to white as I love the look of Nameless & Shameless & Gertie's tank and Gena's tank. Brightens it up and I did have bubbling too. Tomorrow after work I hit Lowes for some white spray paint though it'll be too cold to do it. We had nice warm weather the last 1.5 wks but it's only to be low 50s on Sat & Sun.

So glad to see this! Your story was touching and I was glad to be apart of it Excited to see this develop!

Thank you. I appreciate it. Guess what was hard for me too was since Don had passed 3.5 yrs ago, I used reefing the last 3 yrs to meet new people here, get refocused and all the energy I put in, I hadn't had passion for anything after he died so when I lost all the nems and stared at a tank i couldn't help, it was like I was grieving all over again, and I was, over my nems.

• Like 5

I feel like I don't want to open til it's time cuz of how clumsy I was, I know it was an accident but still, you know how you can be really hard on yourself.?

Ok, I opened it! Yey. it has a blue plastic screwed over it right now to prevent damage. I'll just leave that there right now.

20160318_000126_zpsf6zpwkby.jpg

20160318_000434_zpsoo5v37sj.jpg

It's so cool. It's so small. It's 24" long for the typical 36" long 40g breeder so 6 inches on each side leftover.

• Like 8

Oh, and I chose the hanging one for obvious reasons. DIdn't want to bump a light into the tank! I'll have someone from my local group Mountain Area Reef Club, come out and hang it. Already had an offer to help me with it. I also need to find out how high to put it over the 40g. I'll check for threads.

• Like 3

*Following*

Watching :)

Wonderful. Thanks for joining. Next week I get a circulation pump. I went with the Jebao RW-4 because I just put down 2270 to fix my car and then to find out I need a head gasket replaced and timing belt still w/ in the next 800 miles. Then I need it to warm up so I can paint the back wall and I'll order the rock from Gulf Live Rock.
  • Like 3

It seems like there is always something getting in the way, but you have overcome so much already. I'm really looking forward to more amazing rock flowers once you get set back up again. We are all with you.

• Like 1
righttirefire

Hey hey. I believe dave recommended 7-9 inches to me. I have a quad over a 20 long. I just measured mine it's 6 from the bottom of the quad to the top of the glass top. And water is about 1" below the glass top.

• Like 2

It seems like there is always something getting in the way, but you have overcome so much already. I'm really looking forward to more amazing rock flowers once you get set back up again. We are all with you.

Right? I'm ready for some smooth sailing, popping in some baby making music.

:happydance: So excited to see this, Annette!!!!!!!

So am I!!!!

Hey hey. I believe dave recommended 7-9 inches to me. I have a quad over a 20 long. I just measured mine it's 6 from the bottom of the quad to the top of the glass top. And water is about 1" below the glass top.

Makes complete sense, Jedimasterben told me 8 and these are deeper.

Everyone loves a new beginning!

I hope to see more babies. I'll have to buy some more frozen foods. At this moment I just have jumbo mysis and I used to have LRS Reef Frenzy. But I'm also excited about learning about different leathers and I can later learn about fragging leathers which everyone says is super easy.

Wooohoooo....I agree with Chris :).

Way to go on scraping that back paint!!!!! Took a while but it's worth it to save some money too!!!!!

I really thought the scraping was going to be a 3 day event. I even thought to myself. Add some drama and suspense!!!!. Take 3 days to post the 3 videos, then show the lights, then show..but neh. I know I should have talked about how I toiled and that I had black paint up my nose, in my hair, down my shirt (well, I did) but at least everyone knows now- 3 razors, 1.5 hrs!!!!

I had called Petco and they didn't know when they'd have the $1 sale but hey, I saved time and saved $40, money for a leather!!!! or a flower.

I have 22 lbs of white rock which I'll probably sell in my local club and get 25 lbs live. Even though they were a pain when I had such a growth of aliens (those big fat amphipods), do they actually bother anything like leathers? or are they inherently pretty safe because of toxins? Those pods ate my Aquascapers zoas so I didn't know if they'd take a chunk out of anything in a leather tank. I loved seeing the life emerge from the rocks. Still the most exciting thing to me in the whole process, cycling and seeing life. This time I think I'll do some small water changes since I want to keep as much alive on these rocks as I can.

Leaving now to Lowes to get the spray paint!!!!!! I have enough packing material paper to cover the tank so I can tape and paint. We're getting colder right now though. Since I have to do it outside, the next day in the 60s will be Tues and then 72 on Wed. The sun will still be out when I come home so it should be a good time to quick spray it then. I wonder if I should bring the tank in, keep it warm before I take it outside to paint.

How does the Nanobox light make the white background appear? With my Par 38s it gives Gertie's tank a light blue or white, depending on angle, etc

And if you have a nanobox controller, how accurate is the photography setting?? I've never had a controller.

One happy thing is that this tank will be to my immediate left from the couch so I'll be 2 ft from my flowers!!!! I really missed my flowers when they were in my basement. How cool is it to have lunar setting cycles too, anything to promote the baby making.

• Like 4

I actually sold my NB light. I'm using the razor on my tank. But it's LED and it gives me a slightly blueish white...mostly white look. I have the whites turned up higher than the blue though.

Yours is FANCY...I didn't have a photography setting on mine! I had to shield the camera lens to block out the light so the photos weren't blown out. I STILL have to do that now since I raised my Razor higher than it was before.

Set your photo lighting to whatever you like. And it auto sets

Oh that's wonderful. I just thought it was already built in, I didn't know you could customize. I'm a newb.

cloakerpoked

Right? I'm ready for some smooth sailing, popping in some baby making music.

So am I!!!!

Makes complete sense, Jedimasterben told me 8 and these are deeper.

I hope to see more babies. I'll have to buy some more frozen foods. At this moment I just have jumbo mysis and I used to have LRS Reef Frenzy. But I'm also excited about learning about different leathers and I can later learn about fragging leathers which everyone says is super easy.

Happy leathers will sometimes literally frag themselves, although at a point you'll probably wish you didn't have so many :)

If you want to frag a leather artificially, you just use a very sharp knife (I used to use a scalpel) and cut them. You can mount them with rubber bands or fishing line. I used to use a needle and fishing line, "sew" it to the plug/rock, then after about 2 weeks you cut and remove the line just like stitches. These kinds of hack jobs do tend to cause leathers to release a lot of toxins, so having a separate container you can QT for a few hours while they goop up and throw off all their nastiness can be rather advantageous.

Sorry to see your tragedy, I think a lot of us have a story like that :(

• Like 1

Sorry to see your tragedy, I think a lot of us have a story like that :(

Isn't that the truth, it was the first time in 3 yrs of reefing that I had cyano or dino and I just happened to get both on my most expensive tank and inhabitants simultaneously and then I fried them. Thankfully I've not had a tank explode.

righttirefire

I'd recommend playing with your bluefish controller... a lot. Beware of pendant shift. That had me pulling out my hair one night. Dave and Spencer are awesome resources. I'm willing to help. I'm no expert, but I like to "tinker"