Cultivated Reef

Slowtwitch's Not So Nano

Slowtwitch

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy cow the gorg is huge and gorgeous! What is it like a a foot -14" tall?

A couple of the purple plumes are that tall the others range between 6 and 10 inches.

I love seeing big gorgs. Most of us get them and they're small, haven't bushed out as much, but then again we all don't have as much room as you!!!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing the development of this tank.

I love seeing big gorgs. Most of us get them and they're small, haven't bushed out as much, but then again we all don't have as much room as you!!!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing the development of this tank.

I'm really hoping they grow tall. I love the idea of them swaying in the current.

Since when have I rolled dirty? :lol:

The plate looks fab, as I expected :wub:.

I'm just teasing. I picked a mint green version of the fox for this tank but it's being stubborn about opening up. Hopefully in another day or two I can get a pic of that too. The color would look amazing next to your pink one. Very 1984.

Ummmm not plate. WELLSO!!! You said dinner plate so I had plate on the brain...pun intended LOL.

I'm really hoping they grow tall. I love the idea of them swaying in the current.

I'm just teasing. I picked a mint green version of the fox for this tank but it's being stubborn about opening up. Hopefully in another day or two I can get a pic of that too. The color would look amazing next to your pink one. Very 1984.

OMG...you should see how big my fox is today omgomgomg. It's getting bigger everyday which makes me sad LOL.

What are you feeding it? Steroids?

Ummmm not plate. WELLSO!!! You said dinner plate so I had plate on the brain...pun intended LOL.

OMG...you should see how big my fox is today omgomgomg. It's getting bigger everyday which makes me sad LOL.

What are you feeding it? Steroids?

I think the porcelain crab living in it has something to do with it. Maybe? :lol:

Definitely not steroids, that I know of :).

I think the porcelain crab living in it has something to do with it. Maybe? :lol:

Definitely not steroids, that I know of :).

Can't imagine much scraps from a porcelain crab, but maybe some extra food and good housekeeping.

Here ya go, big corky fingers. Went to Miami & Key Largo & there's Pennekamp Reef. A little museum there.

20150601_163916_zpsoepipyia.jpg

Those are awesome. Maybe someday a few of mine will look like that. Thanks for posting that.

Oh and the eel has already figured out how to get through the overflow. Found him under the skimmer when I moved it to clean out the cup. :angry: Time to figure out a smaller mesh covering to keep him in the tank. Any suggestions?

A couple of the purple plumes are that tall the others range between 6 and 10 inches.

Are those the large size from KPA? KPA is definitely always super generous with the size of their gorgs. I bought the regular size for my tank and they're all nice and big. Glad you're doing huge gorgs in this tank! Looks like you have a bunch of really nice big coral pieces already. Love it!

So sorry to hear about the lionfish. Unfortunately, sometimes they just don't ship well and are unhealthy from the start. Was it eating live food? Or did it never eat in QT? From my experience, if a lionfish will go for a ghost shrimp right after shipping, its usually a good sign that they're reasonably healthy and can eventually get weaned onto frozen. I'm glad you're going to try again! Are you planning to just do the one dwarf or are you wanting others? I love my antennata and/or a radiata would be super pretty in there!

For the eel, I haven't had any issues with my overflow because my teeth are too narrow for him to get through and then I have a lid on the overflow box. Is your eel able to get through the teeth on your overflow? My overflow kit from Glass Holes came with a strip of enkamat cut to the size of the overflow so that it blocks larger detritus and things like snails from getting down into the overflow pipe. You could probably use some enkamat cut to size behind the overflow teeth or sitting down in the overflow box to block the eel from getting to the pipe.

Are those the large size from KPA? KPA is definitely always super generous with the size of their gorgs. I bought the regular size for my tank and they're all nice and big. Glad you're doing huge gorgs in this tank! Looks like you have a bunch of really nice big coral pieces already. Love it!

So sorry to hear about the lionfish. Unfortunately, sometimes they just don't ship well and are unhealthy from the start. Was it eating live food? Or did it never eat in QT? From my experience, if a lionfish will go for a ghost shrimp right after shipping, its usually a good sign that they're reasonably healthy and can eventually get weaned onto frozen. I'm glad you're going to try again! Are you planning to just do the one dwarf or are you wanting others? I love my antennata and/or a radiata would be super pretty in there!

For the eel, I haven't had any issues with my overflow because my teeth are too narrow for him to get through and then I have a lid on the overflow box. Is your eel able to get through the teeth on your overflow? My overflow kit from Glass Holes came with a strip of enkamat cut to the size of the overflow so that it blocks larger detritus and things like snails from getting down into the overflow pipe. You could probably use some enkamat cut to size behind the overflow teeth or sitting down in the overflow box to block the eel from getting to the pipe.

The gorgs are from KPA. I'll see if I can get a piece of the enkamat to cover the pipes. I'm fairly certain he got between the teeth. He's fairly thin right now. Hoping to fatten him up quickly. The dwarf was eating. We actually think he choked on another fish in the QT.

Would the egg crate work or the bags the oranges come in?

Pretty sure he got through the teeth. Going to look for some plastic netting today.

Tank is looking great, love that scape also.

Are eels escape artists normally?

Yes. Something they are known for. Definitely need a good lid if you want an eel.

That'll do. :D

tumblr_no997fUL9Z1tmq1g7o1_500.gif

Would Bayer kill them? Thinking that since they have a nervous system of sorts it will, but I've also never dipped a hammer in Bayer and of course these showed up on my "yellow" hammer. It is safe for LPS as well...?

Archived