Cultivated Reef

Euroquatics E5 Teardown

evilc66

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Someone really needs to put the LED's on top, or hell, even on the sides.

Due to their directionality, almost all of the light from the LEDs is in a small cone directly under them and would simple be reflected right back onto the LEDs and their PCB/heatsink. Only a small amount of incident light would make it beyond that.

Pic no workie? I'm sure it was something along the lines of "hurry the #### up :)". I know, I suck.

gulfsurfer101

Sounds like a good investment for someone looking to build a retrofit. I'm adding two bulbs to go along with my 4 bulb retro. I haven't ordered reflectors yet just the clips to hold a pair of bulbs. Seems the reflector would be a waste of money. I'm also hanging around waiting on par results. I need power rather than pop with only 4 true t5 bulbs over my 75g build if they don't stack up they don't make the cut.

Pic no workie? I'm sure it was something along the lines of "hurry the #### up :)". I know, I suck.

Johny Five: "Need more input Stephanie" actually. :P

Sounds like a good investment for someone looking to build a retrofit. I'm adding two bulbs to go along with my 4 bulb retro. I haven't ordered reflectors yet just the clips to hold a pair of bulbs. Seems the reflector would be a waste of money. I'm also hanging around waiting on par results. I need power rather than pop with only 4 true t5 bulbs over my 75g build if they don't stack up they don't make the cut.

Same same

gulfsurfer101

Same same

I'll be running ati bulbs with decent reflectors for four bulbs and have a total of six bulbs on hand. The other two can sit it out till its time to replace a couple. I didn't want to drop another 75 just on a pair of dam reflectors. These sound like the ticket since I'll be running those two bulbs on a rapid start ballest anyways.
  • 2 weeks later...
masterbuilder

Well....while we are waiting on Evil.... I found this over on another forum. The guy that took the readings is usually trustworthy.

e5 Blue Pop:

"Par for a single bulb at the surface was 92, 12" was 40 and at 24" was 20. The ATI B+ was 180, 90, 45 respectively.

Take it for what its worth.

Well....while we are waiting on Evil.... I found this over on another forum. The guy that took the readings is usually trustworthy.

e5 Blue Pop:

"Par for a single bulb at the surface was 92, 12" was 40 and at 24" was 20. The ATI B+ was 180, 90, 45 respectively.

Take it for what its worth.

If that's true that's depressing, was hoping for something equivalent.

Seeing as I have Good Friday off work, I'm hoping to get some time to take some measurements (kids will be away, yay!).

Masterbuilder, what fixture was that taken in? I'm assuming it's probably a higher end fixture, which I honestly think this product is not intended for. I think my use of the Fish Need It fixture will actually offer some more practical results for those looking to use this product.

jedimasterben

I wonder what quantum meter was used and if the correction equations were used.

Even if not, adding 20% still doesn't bring it up to where it would need to to be competitive.

Even if not, adding 20% still doesn't bring it up to where it would need to to be competitive.

Maybe, but looking at the medium (no cooling, mediocre reflector) quality Aquatic Life fixture I have one of these bulbs might come close to equaling the PAR of a single bulb. I woudl only use one fo these in my big ATI fixture if I was looking to reduce PAR and add some POP ... but then I have BML fixtures to do that.

masterbuilder

The actual PAR numbers dont matter much to me. What was interesting was that in the same fixture the e5 output was roughly the half of an ATI B+. Which is about what I expected.

Masterbuilder, what fixture was that taken in? I'm assuming it's probably a higher end fixture, which I honestly think this product is not intended for. I think my use of the Fish Need It fixture will actually offer some more practical results for those looking to use this product.

If not mistaken it was in a TEK. Seeing the design of the e5 I dont expect to see more than a modest improvement in output regardless of what fixture its in. I have been wrong many times before though (see my p.s. for example) Standing by for your numbers.

Mark

p.s. After 6 months, I am throwing in the towel on my LEDs due to the shadowing. My corals are still relatively small and I already see the effects and it will only get worse. I love my LEDs but its problematic in my tank/corals. I know there are solutions but I am comfortable with my decision and the costs. Ordered an ATI 6x24 last night. I also added two e5 blue's in addition to the standard T5 combo to play with.

The actual PAR numbers dont matter much to me. What was interesting was that in the same fixture the e5 output was roughly the half of an ATI B+. Which is about what I expected.

If not mistaken it was in a TEK. Seeing the design of the e5 I dont expect to see more than a modest improvement in output regardless of what fixture its in. I have been wrong many times before though (see my p.s. for example) Standing by for your numbers.

Mark

p.s. After 6 months, I am throwing in the towel on my LEDs due to the shadowing. My corals are still relatively small and I already see the effects and it will only get worse. I love my LEDs but its problematic in my tank/corals. I know there are solutions but I am comfortable with my decision and the costs. Ordered an ATI 6x24 last night. I also added two e5 blue's in addition to the standard T5 combo to play with.

Those montis will look good under T5s! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived