Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Euroquatics E5 Teardown

evilc66

jedimasterben

Pretty happy with the new Giessmann bulbs. Ended up with an Aquablue+, Pure Actinic, and two Actinic+. Came out to just about the same color as the UVL bulbs. So now I have a good fresh set of bulbs to compare against :)

Man, your local store hasn't ordered lamps in a while :lol:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impatient. :)

Translation: Time to set life aside and get to the important stuff. Entertaining us. :)

I do have a question. You mentioned the LEDs have a forward voltage of around 3. I believe that makes them somewhere in the range of 2 to 3 watts?

I counted 16 LEDs in one of your pictures and that did not seem to be all of them. If that tube is rated at 15 watts, that would mean the LEDs are being driven at less than 1 watt (ie: significantly undrdriven). Do I have that right?

Voltage is not the sole indication of wattage. You need to know the current too. There are many LEDs out there that will have a vf of 3.1v at very low currents. You have to remember that the forward voltage of an LED changes very little over it's operating range.

There are 14 LEDs in series in 4 parallel strings. If you were to take out any efficiency loss from the support components, then each series string would draw 3.75W. If the LEDs have an average forward voltage of 3.1v with 14 LEDs in series, then each LED is pulling about 0.267W each, which works out to about 86mA per LED.

e401cecc-d2fc-4c38-813f-0c34872a718d.jpg

Finally got my test rig set up. It's just a single bulb position driven by a Fulham Workhorse5 ballast. It's not the most ideal, but it is working just fine with the E5 tubes. With this setup though, I can easily swap ballasts with minimal effort. I plan on getting an HEP and a Fulham Racehorse ballast (both program start) at some point in the near future.

I didn't get any electrical measurements done. My little Fluke 117 isn't fast enough to get the RMS voltage on the ballast output and only reads something like 13v AC with the UVL T5, and 3v with the E5, both of which I know is wrong. With the ballast switching at something near 100kHz, it's tough for the poor little meter to get a meaningful reading. Going to borrow a meter from work, which will also allow me to get temperature readings too (k-type thermocouple)

That's what I'm curious about too. Euroquatics already has a Giessmann ballast on their site that apparently does not work, but I don't know specifically which ballast it is. At least we know rapid start ballasts work, even if they aren't the prefered method for T5's.

Perhaps what's smart to protect the cathode of a florescent lamp doenst have the kick to get an e5 lamp up and running.

Certainly possible. This might be a case of the ballast being too smart for it's own good. Features like End Of Life detection and such may get tripped due to the low current requirements for LED replacements. We will know more soon. An HEP ballast (program start, used in ATI fixtures for those not in the know) is winging it's way to me as we speak.

Anyone else find that that site is completely broken? Anyway, from the description it sounds like they are like some of the other T5/T8 replacements where you have to rewire the fixture so they are on low voltage DC. The E5's are the only ones so far that are a direct drop in, for better or worse.

As for progress, there hasn't been much. The last few weeks have been pretty busy. I was hoping that I could get some readings over the weekend, but that didn't happen. All I managed to get done was find out that an HEP ballast cannot operate just one bulb. The way these ballasts are set up is that one end of the bulb is wired in series with one end of another bulb. Setting it up so that only one bulb is connected most likely results in too high startup current, and it shuts it all down before it even starts. I'll just have to wire it up so that I have a second bulb mounted off somewhere else that I can black out so it doesn't affect any of my readings, at least for light.

I didn't have any issues accessing the site. It's one of those rewire versions where you swap the ballast out but the original endcaps are functional(ish).

Yeah, I was going to look into those. I know the Fulham Racehorse ballasts will run a single. Just wanted to try the HEP ballast to see if it worked.

My call is they're going to be awful with really bad PAR. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I would hazard a guess they aren't super high par levels seeing as, like t5, you would use multiple lamps to achieve good par levels.

Archived