Pod Your Reef

How do you clean OUTIDSIDE aquarium glass?

pgrVII

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fishfreak0114

Spoil sport.... It's an amorphous solid that flows... It was a liquid until 2013 just like Pluto was a planet until a few years ago.. Btw... asphalt is also a liquid..

An amorous solid that flows sounds even more badass lol.

Is there any way to prove that that was a cause. There are so many variables in this hobby I feel like that is a long shot to say that was the reasoning behind a tank failure.

Cleaning ladies is why :-p. I have known many (I say many maybe 5) tanks that have crashed after they have been "cleaned" by maids. However I am not entirely sure if it was windex they were using or another chemical so I may have jumped the gun a bit.

Either way you are 100% right in that there are many many variables to deal with in this hobby. My thinking is why would you risk throwing in another potential dangerous variable when you can just use your top off R/O water and paper towels? To each their own though.

Living on the edge bro.

To each his own! :-)

I have used a slice of lemon and then a dry microfibre towel.

Just remember though... Glass is a liquid.

A super cooled liquid. My mum works with glass daily and she says that glass, if oyu score it, itll break when oyu apply pressure. wait a day and you have a harder time breaking the glass and it could shatter. that said we lived in a 160 year old house with windows that had been in there since the turn of the 20th century and the glass was much thinner at the top and thicker on teh bottom from molecular movement. it still moves, just very very slowly.

I have used a slice of lemon and then a dry microfibre towel.

A super cooled liquid. My mum works with glass daily and she says that glass, if oyu score it, itll break when oyu apply pressure. wait a day and you have a harder time breaking the glass and it could shatter. that said we lived in a 160 year old house with windows that had been in there since the turn of the 20th century and the glass was much thinner at the top and thicker on teh bottom from molecular movement. it still moves, just very very slowly.

Yeah, go to a really old building, like a medieval cathedral, and the glass is WAY thinner at the top and WAY thicker at the bottom. The glass is oozing.

Yeah, go to a really old building, like a medieval cathedral, and the glass is WAY thinner at the top and WAY thicker at the bottom. The glass is oozing.

we got to view the glass when the fly swatter I was smashing a fly with ended up outside the h ouse.

gulfsurfer101

You don't want to live on the edge with us?

Van halen once stood on the edge and then He stood and looked down! You know he lost a lot of freinds there baby! Ain't got no time to mess around! I just took a dump off it! A cliffhanger breh! #cliffhanger
gulfsurfer101

Spoil sport.... It's an amorphous solid that flows... It was a liquid until 2013 just like Pluto was a planet until a few years ago.. Btw... asphalt is also a liquid..

Yous a smart m*therf***kkah brad! Check out the big brain on brad! I can't wait to mind karate somebody with this sh!t one day!

Why spend money on Windex? Just put a few drops of white kitchen vinegar in some RODI water and wipe with yesterday's newspaper.

We're not washing windows on some street corner with a bottle and busket! Cheebus cries man! This is still a fish tank forum man!

Yous a smart m*therf***kkah brad! Check out the big brain on brad! I can't wait to mind karate somebody with this sh!t one day!

We're not washing windows on some street corner with a bottle and busket! Cheebus cries man! This is still a fish tank forum man!

Ammonia-free Windex is a few drops of white distilled kitchen-grade vinegar in some deionized water, with some coloring, fragrance, and sudser added. It is less expensive and safer to leave out the coloring, fragrance, and sudser. Yesterday's newspaper is lint-free with soy-based ink that leaves a streak-free surface. Yes, I am on topic of what I use to clean the outside of the tank.

I'm with a few of the others...I use my shirt. LOL

Well...it's tax return time and i'm spending money on weird things so I ordered some of the Kent glass cleaner. :D

If there's a fish near the surface they will die. Guaranteed!

I thaw mysis shrimp in full strength Windex and feed directly to my fish. No problems so far. They're always coming back for more:)

On another hand, I use glass cleaner foam spray thingy from Costco. Spray on the paper towel then wipe. I'll try distilled vinegar next time see how that works;)

bryantkalagian

Cleaning ladies is why :-p. I have known many (I say many maybe 5) tanks that have crashed after they have been "cleaned" by maids. However I am not entirely sure if it was windex they were using or another chemical so I may have jumped the gun a bit.

Either way you are 100% right in that there are many many variables to deal with in this hobby. My thinking is why would you risk throwing in another potential dangerous variable when you can just use your top off R/O water and paper towels? To each their own though.

To each his own! :-)

I agree haha but the cleaning ladies probably tried to clean the inside of the glass with windex!

I use the wet paper towel that has glass cleaner on it to wipe the inside of my sump :) stick it right down in the water :)

No thanks :P

That's different than getting spray into the tank though. I actually did that once :(. Many years ago I had a freshwater tank. One day I was watching the fish swimming happily in the tank and noticed some water spots so I got out my windex and cleaned the glass. Put it away. Came back to the tank and like 2 or 3 fish were floating dead at the top. Apparently some over-spray got into the tank and killed the fish. Talk about heartbreaking. I felt terrible. Ever since that day...no windex is EVER used near my fish tank.

No thanks :P

That's different than getting spray into the tank though. I actually did that once :(. Many years ago I had a freshwater tank. One day I was watching the fish swimming happily in the tank and noticed some water spots so I got out my windex and cleaned the glass. Put it away. Came back to the tank and like 2 or 3 fish were floating dead at the top. Apparently some over-spray got into the tank and killed the fish. Talk about heartbreaking. I felt terrible. Ever since that day...no windex is EVER used near my fish tank.

Probably a good call gena ;)

Lol... Friggen cleaning ladies on that note.. Cleaning lady I know used invisible glass it's like an aerosol Windex.. I got a can at home it's the bomb.. But I have not lives on that edge with the Fish tank. .

Archived