Top Shelf Aquatics

My Reef Tank Story

lostsol95

My clowns are weird. They love small pellets but won't touch mysis.

Aren't all clowns weird anyway... :)

Um, it's here.... It's a beast! I've never purchased an aquarium light before, but man, this thing is solid. I guess so it can contain the FORCE or all of those powerful LED's, LOL!

This weekend will be fun!

post-89951-0-98682600-1452291151_thumb.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hammer, is this from personal experience?? ;)

yes it is. It's like fish crack. I tried to do pellets and they were ignored. My clowns will eat flakes, on the surface and in the water column. I also have luck with this brine shrimp flavored flake. Can't think of the name right now. My sun corals also eat mysis and refuse brine shrimp. I think that's weird lol. All my fish want the mysis and don't really like the brine.

almost no one can resist the frozen, and then thawed on the tank water, mysis!!!

Frozen is all I feed my tank, clown and frogspawn both love it! I don't ever plan on using flakes or pellets.

YEP, the clown went NUTS over the Mysis! Now I'm afraid I'll have to throw the pellets out! Oh well, at least the clown is happy :)

And maybe frogspawn will be my first piece of coral!

Simulated Fish

YEP, the clown went NUTS over the Mysis! Now I'm afraid I'll have to throw the pellets out! Oh well, at least the clown is happy :)

And maybe frogspawn will be my first piece of coral!

I wouldn't go for a frogspawn right out of the gate but they are wonderful for your first LPS. Definitely get a softie that can be more tolerant of change while you get use the care and husbandry.

I waited about 3 Months before I got mine, after my new tank datioms stared to subsided

Tank is coming along! I've had Mushroom Coral in there for the past few days and looking good. I want to get some more pieces this weekend. Maybe some Zoa's or some War Coral.

My Nano Box Tide Plus M is intense! It's on my desk and I have to turn it down to like 10% on all channels to not bother my eyes. I've offsetted my timezone to turn them up after I leave for home.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

post-89951-0-23901000-1452894980_thumb.jpg

post-89951-0-71003600-1452894980_thumb.jpg

Does the light itself shine in your eyes? Or just how bright the tank is in general?

Just in general. I actually taped up a folder on the side that faces me so that it can't directly shine in my eyes. Maybe my eyes are just sensitive to LED's, especially the blues.

Just found this sucker! I didn't put him in there, so does anyone know if it's the good Nassarius snail ie the Vibex or the bad one ie Ilyanassa obsoleta.

post-89951-0-66226000-1453838648_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
IronChefItaly

I would recommend feeding more than just mysis to your clownfish. Mysis on its own typically doesn't have much nutrition so its best to supplement with flake, pellet or brine. As with ourselves, varied diet is best.

FlowLikeWater

thats a nerite snail. also, if that is what it looks like (green star polyps ) i would personally make an island in the sand for it. once GSP takes hold, its impossible to remove from your rocks.

I would recommend feeding more than just mysis to your clownfish. Mysis on its own typically doesn't have much nutrition so its best to supplement with flake, pellet or brine. As with ourselves, varied diet is best.

Will do. I try pellets once per week, but he eats them only once in a while and they just end up in my floss. Maybe I'll try some flakes. Thx!

thats a nerite snail. also, if that is what it looks like (green star polyps ) i would personally make an island in the sand for it. once GSP takes hold, its impossible to remove from your rocks.

Nerite snail, nice! I saw it on my overflow, so I put it on my sand bed. Haven't seen it since! Yeah, for some silly reason, I superglued that GSP frag to my rock, so I'll have to go buy some bone cutters to get it off. I think I can get under the frag for the cut without damaging GSP.

Since the Nerite, I've had some more unidentified things in my tank. One was some white slug on my glass, pretty big size, like a dime, but then it disappeared. Another was a green and black banded stringy algae like stuff, pics in this thread. And lastly, short and long white hairs on the live rock. So much fun! It's like discovering creatures on a newly discovered planet!

You should be able to get the GSP off the rock without bone cutters. The superglue doesn't stick as hard when it's applied to a wet surface, so you can almost always get stuff to pop off with a little prying and twisting.

I'd try alternating pellets with mysis. It needs to be offered frequently enough that he can figure out that it's food and he likes it. :) I've never had much luck with flakes, they just float around and get sucked up by the filter way before any fish decide to check it out.

PS: my clown love pellets. I can drop ten at a time in and they catch them all before they sink halfway down.

You should be able to get the GSP off the rock without bone cutters. The superglue doesn't stick as hard when it's applied to a wet surface, so you can almost always get stuff to pop off with a little prying and twisting.

I'd try alternating pellets with mysis. It needs to be offered frequently enough that he can figure out that it's food and he likes it. :) I've never had much luck with flakes, they just float around and get sucked up by the filter way before any fish decide to check it out.

PS: my clown love pellets. I can drop ten at a time in and they catch them all before they sink halfway down.

I was working on twisting the GSP frag out of the rock and just a small piece of the rock broke off and the frag came out! Perfect.

I'll keep putting those pellets in, one at a time, until he gets it.

Thx!

fishfreak0114

My fish like flake food, I use omega one marine plus garlic. I think the reason they go for it is because I don't turn the pumps off so it moves around really quick like it alive or something. They always chase it down. If the pellets don't work I'd try that. that dragons breath is beautiful!

My fish like flake food, I use omega one marine plus garlic. I think the reason they go for it is because I don't turn the pumps off so it moves around really quick like it alive or something. They always chase it down. If the pellets don't work I'd try that. that dragons breath is beautiful!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice dragon's breath! How's it doing?

I mailordered some a few weeks ago, but it didn't make it; I believe it froze en route. I reeeeeally want to try it again.

Archived