Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Reef Tank Story

lostsol95

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
charnelhouse

I've been using these every day http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=594and haven't seen a change yet. Just good readings.

But it's only been a week, and I haven't put anything in the tank other than live sand, live rock, and salt water.

I do have little white dots on the glass and back wall, I've read it could be snail eggs.

I've never used strips but from what I've heard and read they are notoriously unreliable.

Snail eggs are usually in a trail, not individual spots. Do your spots move at all? They could be copepods.

The dots seem to be stagnate. I brushed some off from the back wall the other day, and then they appeared on the side glass the next morning.

charnelhouse

The dots seem to be stagnate. I brushed some off from the back wall the other day, and then they appeared on the side glass the next morning.

Can you post some pics? Copepods are very small white dots and you have to look pretty close to see them moving. Not sure what else it could be. Snail eggs definitely would not reattach to the glass if manually removed.

charnelhouse

Here they are.

A little hard to tell from that pic, but those look like collonista snails to me. They are reef safe, but can be a nuisance as they get into equipment. I have hundreds and just leave them alone.

Interesting, thanks for the identification. I've read Trumpet snails eat snail eggs. I haven't decided on a CUC yet, I really didn't want one, but I think I may have to.

charnelhouse

Interesting, thanks for the identification. I've read Trumpet snails eat snail eggs. I haven't decided on a CUC yet, I really didn't want one, but I think I may have to.

For clarity's sake, those are actual snails, not snail eggs. Collonista snails are tiny, less than half of a pea size at their largest. They will do CUC duty for you as they eat algae.

For clarity's sake, those are actual snails, not snail eggs. Collonista snails are tiny, less than half of a pea size at their largest. They will do CUC duty for you as they eat algae.

Ah, great! So I'll stop scraping them off!

I suppose this doesn't necessarily indicate my tank has cycled however. I've put some fish food in the tank yesterday to decompose. Levels are remaining in safe parameters. I'm going to take some of my water to the LFS today, and see if they advise putting a clown fish in.

charnelhouse

Ah, great! So I'll stop scraping them off!

I suppose this doesn't necessarily indicate my tank has cycled however. I've put some fish food in the tank yesterday to decompose. Levels are remaining in safe parameters. I'm going to take some of my water to the LFS today, and see if they advise putting a clown fish in.

If you are growing collonista snails, you are most likely cycled. Do you see any other types of life in there? Bristle worms, pods, tiny stars?

No other lifeforms unfortunately, but I was hoping for a bristle worm. Their benefits seem to really outweigh any of their nuisance concerns.

My clown isn't eating yet, but he looks happy :)

I don't have the lights on.

I did a 1 gallon water change this morning.

I'm using New Life Spectrum small fish formula, but I might go get some Mysis.

He sucks in the pellets and then spits them out and they sink to the sand bed. I keep adding one or two pellets just so they float around to catch the little guys eye. I'm also presoaking them.

I think my Nano Box comes in any day now, but I know that thing has some power, so I might just put the moonlights on for now.

fishfreak0114

He sucks in the pellets and then spits them out and they sink to the sand bed. I keep adding one or two pellets just so they float around to catch the little guys eye. I'm also presoaking them.

I think my Nano Box comes in any day now, but I know that thing has some power, so I might just put the moonlights on for now.

The clown will eat eventually, mine went on a hunger strike for about a week when I got them. Can't wait to see your lights, I'm ordering a nanobox retro this weekend :)

The clown will eat eventually, mine went on a hunger strike for about a week when I got them. Can't wait to see your lights, I'm ordering a nanobox retro this weekend :)

Stubborn little guy! Retro, nice! I'll be posting the pics of my Storm Trooper unit when it gets here.

So I put my filter floss in my new cool basket, and tiny floss particles filled my tank temporarily.

Any tips for keeping that from happening again? I'm thinking of pre-rinsing it.

Don't want to hurt the little guy either.

What kind of floss is it? I've never heard of filter floss breaking into tiny pieces. If anything, you should have some little strings, but it pretty much hangs all together.

I use polyester fiber fill from the sewing section at Wal-Mart. $8 will buy you about a two year supply in one bag :)

fishfreak0114

I use this stuff. Bought it at petland for about $20 and I've barely made a dent so far. It doesn't have any particles that float away either.

image_zpsnmuypdoy.jpg

almost no one can resist the frozen, and then thawed on the tank water, mysis!!! ?
Simulated Fish

almost no one can resist the frozen, and then thawed on the tank water, mysis!!!

Frozen is all I feed my tank, clown and frogspawn both love it! I don't ever plan on using flakes or pellets.

Archived