Pod Your Reef

Bryant's new lagoon

bryantkalagian

bryantkalagian

Looking nice! Sweet zoa garden there. How is the reactor working out?

I like the reactor. I'm running lignite carbon and regular BRS gfo. My water is crystal clear and I'd like to think my phosphate is low haha. I'm going to order a nice nitrate and phosphate test kit soon.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bryantkalagian

Well my ATO stuck on last night. Emptied about 3-4 gallons into my tank and thus on the floor. It dropped my salinity to about 1.020. I'm drying the carpet and slowly bringing up my salinity today. Everything looks like it survived but is not happy. Should everything be alright?

20160126_095120-1_zpsin4fpzvx.jpg

By the looks of your tank shots, it looks like you have mostly LPS which are much more forgiving of changing tank conditions than SPS. I am thinking that probably most everything will be alright. Your fish should be fine for sure unless you had one that was immune compromised already.

BTW, your tank looks very nice.

bryantkalagian

By the looks of your tank shots, it looks like you have mostly LPS which are much more forgiving of changing tank conditions than SPS. I am thinking that probably most everything will be alright. Your fish should be fine for sure unless you had one that was immune compromised already.

BTW, your tank looks very nice.

Thank you. Yes all LPS and softies. Fingers crossed haha

bryantkalagian

After a day of being angry, dying my carpet and slowly getting my salinity back up to 1.025 everything is pretty much back to normal. All the corals are open and seemingly doing well. Some aren't as open as normal but doing alright. Unfortunately I lost both my blue chromis that went over the side during the overflow onto the floor. They were both kinda alive when I threw them back into the tank but they never made a recovery. As far as it could have gone it could have been a lot worse.

20160126_205811-1_zpsbmztprnb.jpg

bryantkalagian

Ordered up some new goodies today. I picked up a pair of BRS dosers for my two part and a battery back up I plan on hooking up to my Tunze wave maker. I've lost power twice in the last month or so, so I'm slightly paranoid. The power outages have only been 10 to 20 minutes but now I can rest a little easier.

Just picked me up a battery powered bubbler for my tank as well. This one apparently turns itself on when it detects a power loss. Not very common here though so I only plan on using it manually unless i'm away for a few days.

bryantkalagian

Just picked me up a battery powered bubbler for my tank as well. This one apparently turns itself on when it detects a power loss. Not very common here though so I only plan on using it manually unless i'm away for a few days.

It's not common here either but now I'm paranoid. I got the Ice Cap battery backup. Supposed to run my wave maker for a couple days apparently

bryantkalagian

Added some new hardware underneath today. Two BRS dosers hooked up to digital timers for my two part. And an Icecap battery backup for my Tunze wave maker. It sure is hard to keep that disaster of wires looking half way decent.

20160204_133750-1_zpsxwczwwaa.jpg

20160204_133817-1_zpsboguwwsf.jpg

20160204_133823-1_zpsteb96o4q.jpg

20160204_133834-1_zpsvfrpbvja.jpg

• 1 month later...
bryantkalagian

I've been using the BRS two-part for a few months now and I'm not too happy with it. I'm dosing what I consider a huge amount and am still having trouble maintaining calcium. My alk is pretty steady but calcium is falling faster. From everything that I've read, if your levels are equal, they should fall equally. Thus the beauty of two part; being able to add it equally and it falls equally. However, if I do a water change with on point levels (420ppm, 9dk), I will test a week later and my CA will be at 320 and my alk still at 7.5-8.5. And yes my mag is good at ~1350. I'm dosing 100 ml of each per day and levels are still falling. Secondly, I'm getting a pretty large amount of calcium build-up on pumps and powerheads. I've looked around and I'm not the only one who's experiencing this. I went ahead and ordered some B-Ionic two-part in hopes that will help me maintain levels more easily and with less dosing. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Archived