SaltCritters.com

Bryant's new lagoon

bryantkalagian

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefernanoman

Washed out cell phone pic but here is a current FTS of the old tank. Mostly everything but the purple xenia will be getting transferred over.

20151125_145559_HDR_zpsr7nknreg.jpg

Nice tank!

bryantkalagian

Added a LED in the stand. Excuse the lack of paint still not on there haha.

20151208_214107_HDR-1_zpsy7dy7iet.jpg

I've finally dialed in all the little kinks associated with a new tank. For one, my ATO nozzle was pumping into the same chamber as my temp probe. So my Reef Keeper alarm decided to go off in the middle of the night for low temp. The skimmer seems to be settling down for the most part. Its still putting out a decent amount of micro bubbles but it's only been like 3 days.

This is the best my cell camera will do. I've tried with the day lights on and off, blues up and down and nothing seems to get a decent picture. The micro bubbles actually look like 100 times worse on camera. They're basically the only thing my camera was capturing well haha.

20151208_222853_HDR-1_zpsthyszkio.jpg

20151208_222515_HDR-1_zps6x2n3shs.jpg

20151208_222624_HDR-1_zpspzh74i4n.jpg

20151208_222548_HDR-1_zpsxhznjvqp.jpg

A duncan that is finally happy. He was getting crowded by the xenia in the old tank.

20151208_222605_HDR-1_zpsvatx5x6g.jpg

The beginnings of a zoa/paly colony.

20151208_222500_HDR-1_zpsgbds0ynm.jpg

14496441076941303831105_zps6dnfinns.jpg

bryantkalagian

Here's some pics of the back chamber for those who are interested. Its kinda a tight fit. If you're not opposed a HOB skimmer would be a lot easier. To fit the skimmer in the back, it had to be in the center chamber. I got some (I believe) 1/2"ID hose that fits on the Cobalt and the elbow for the return nozzle to eliminate the Y-pipe, so I'm just using a single return. I flipped the other elbow up to block off water from coming through.

From top to bottom (so left to right if you're looking at the tank) on this pic it's set up as:

Filter sock

Temp probe

ATO nozzle

Skimmer

ATO sensor

Return pump

Two heaters

Filter sock

20151214_171821-1_zpsv0jx8j1t.jpg

A couple closer looks.

20151214_171938-1_zpskftakkbr.jpg

20151214_171845-1_zpsbkhg1lz2.jpg

Other than a couple wires still needing to be organized and my magnet cleaner, there's a pretty clean look from the front.

20151214_172124_zpsfmmxngfl.jpg

freaking marineland ..better have 3 ..lol i was just wondering people say the 75w jager is a little too big and neotherms are like 50 bucks and have heard some horror stories . never had problem with jager

I had a Jager die a month ago. lol I'm using a 75W one in my 25G and it's at an angle...it's near the waterline but that doesn't seem to be an issue with the ATO.

Looks nice!

bryantkalagian

freaking marineland ..better have 3 ..lol i was just wondering people say the 75w jager is a little too big and neotherms are like 50 bucks and have heard some horror stories . never had problem with jager

I've actually had really good luck with them so far. One lasted for 2+ years in a freshwater tank and another in my old reef tank for a year. The 150 or 200 watt one is too tall so I'm just running two 100 watt ones (leave the heater in my house off when I'm on duty) so I wanted to have more than I need/a back up if one dies. They're cheap enough I don't mind just replacing them every year as preventative maintenance. I had a neotherm blow up in like 3 months.

Thanks for showing us your backside! :lol:

Really tight fits back there. Looks like I'll have a jetpack's worth of equipment plastered to the back of my tank when it gets up and running.

I really like how your aquascape came out as well. The more I think on the display dimensions the more I worry about how I will be able handle the depth of field when it comes to maximizing that space. Seems like a challenge you've overcome thanks to the foreground/background islands... I'll have to keep that in mind for when I'm scaping. Now I'm even more anxious to get mine started.

Anyways keep up the good work! I'll be lurking and liking. :)

bryantkalagian

Thanks for showing us your backside! :lol:

Really tight fits back there. Looks like I'll have a jetpack's worth of equipment plastered to the back of my tank when it gets up and running.

I really like how your aquascape came out as well. The more I think on the display dimensions the more I worry about how I will be able handle the depth of field when it comes to maximizing that space. Seems like a challenge you've overcome thanks to the foreground/background islands... I'll have to keep that in mind for when I'm scaping. Now I'm even more anxious to get mine started.

Anyways keep up the good work! I'll be lurking and liking. :)

Thanks! I'm going to tweak my scape a little as I add more coral but I really like the island design. This is my dream tank aquascape-wise.

cp-farm-japanese-reef-tank_zps15xcuh0c.j

So in order to get the 9001 to work in the middle chamber, you had to forgo one of the returns? I have been moving mine around with the pump and a cut out of the skimmer to see if I can get the tubing to work, and I just don't know if it's possible with such little space. So that leaves either cutting out the skimmer, or having only one return line from the pump?

bryantkalagian

So in order to get the 9001 to work in the middle chamber, you had to forgo one of the returns? I have been moving mine around with the pump and a cut out of the skimmer to see if I can get the tubing to work, and I just don't know if it's possible with such little space. So that leaves either cutting out the skimmer, or having only one return line from the pump?

Pretty much. If you were really set on having both returns, you could probably get a T fitting and run the second line up and over the top of the skimmer. Personally I don't really care that much. With an upgraded return pump, a powerhead and a wave maker flow is fine for me.

Pretty much. If you were really set on having both returns, you could probably get a T fitting and run the second line up and over the top of the skimmer. Personally I don't really care that much. With an upgraded return pump, a powerhead and a wave maker flow is fine for me.

Sounds good. I upgraded the return pump, and will be adding an MP10 to the tank, I don't think flow would be a problem. How do you like the 9001? Sound wise and ease of use? Haven't bought one yet, still trying to decide.

bryantkalagian

Sounds good. I upgraded the return pump, and will be adding an MP10 to the tank, I don't think flow would be a problem. How do you like the 9001? Sound wise and ease of use? Haven't bought one yet, still trying to decide.

Honestly it's the first skimmer I've owned so I'm not the best source of info. However, it's very quite and simple to set up. It was putting out a decent about of micro bubbles off the bat. I think a lot of that is because the intake for the return pump is about an inch from the outlet of the skimmer. I put one of those foam pre-filters on the return pump and it completely eliminated them, but the skimmer has only been running for about a week now. It hasn't been producing any dark skim yet but the tank is about 10 days old. Getting it dialed in was a little tricky because it was pulling a lot of water, which was triggering my ATO, which would increase the water level, which would make the skimmer go more crazy haha. But now that the skimmer has settled down and everything has found an equilibrium, I'm really happy with it.

If the 9001 is anything like my 9004 it is a solid skimmer. Not as efficient as a cone skimmer but it does a great job. A little temperamental when breaking in but once it has it will skim well. They are sensitive to changes in water level and while they are quiet they are not silent.

bryantkalagian

If the 9001 is anything like my 9004 it is a solid skimmer. Not as efficient as a cone skimmer but it does a great job. A little temperamental when breaking in but once it has it will skim well. They are sensitive to changes in water level and while they are quiet they are not silent.

Pretty much same design. But yeah water level is important with it

SWEET tank man.

I love the dimensions on this one and can honestly see myself getting one someday.

Anyways, good job on the stand, and overall scape looks great as does your choices in equipment and livestock.

Good luck - hopefully no more issues with algae.

bryantkalagian

SWEET tank man.

I love the dimensions on this one and can honestly see myself getting one someday.

Anyways, good job on the stand, and overall scape looks great as does your choices in equipment and livestock.

Good luck - hopefully no more issues with algae.

Thanks the dimensions are pretty awesome. I definitely know more now, and I think I'm going about it better, than my last tank. I'm going to stay positive and say no algea haha

bryantkalagian

Kinda alright FTS. Micro bubbles are gone and waters looking good after Sunday's 5 gallon change. I still need to at least borrow a nice camera. I wish the colors and depth came through in my pictures.

20151216_193542_HDR-1_zpsp32qmn3e.jpg

New cup coral frag. This guy's in the place of my blasto, who died for an unknown reason. Water parameters are good and everything else in the tank is happy. It went from a healthy 2 headed blasto to a dead skeleton in about 24 hours. I can't figure it out.

20151216_193516_HDR_zpsdnuku1jn.jpg

Can't wait till all these grow together.

20151216_193500_HDR-1_zpszgvb5v1b.jpg

Archived