Cultivated Reef

Bryant's new lagoon

bryantkalagian

bryantkalagian

Tanks coming up on a month old. Everything is doing really well, and all the parameters are great. About time for some more livestock I think. I got my delivery of BRS two part the other day. I've never used it before so we'll see how it goes. I haven't been able to fiddle with it at all as I've been out of commission with the stomach flu. I'll let y'all know how I like it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bryantkalagian

Manual or automatic dosing for the 2 part? I am thinking of going that way, just unsure how to manually do it.

Doing manual for now. I've been doing manual "2 part" with the reef code stuff for a while. I'm attracted to the cost savings that go with the BRS. I can get 1/2 gallon of all three additives for the cost of two 500 ml reef code supplements. I don't think I'll have to dose too much magnesium, so I'll probably just do calcium in the morning and alk at night since it will raise the ph, which naturally lowers at night.

• 2 weeks later...
bryantkalagian

Picked up a hang on the back, or side in my case, media reactor and got it set up and tested. Still waiting on the GFO in the mail. Very pleased with the product and I think it's a slick alternative to the innovative marine reactor. The left side of my tank pretty much faces a corner so there isn't much viewing from that side.

20160102_221816-1_zpscspy4i5u.jpg

20160102_221648-1_zpsjkuubigr.jpg

20160102_221753-1_zpsswohxoj0.jpg

bryantkalagian

Nice...and cheap! I hadn't seen this one before. Let me know how it works out. :)

Will do. Media from BRS should come tomorrow along with a couple other goodies. Quality so far is great and took about 5 minutes to put together and install. The pump is super quiet too.

bryantkalagian

What size mj did you replace the return with?

I got the Cobalt MJ 900 as it was closest to the stock pumps flow rate. You can certainly step up to the 1200 if you want some more flow.

bryantkalagian

Picked up a new acan frag. I wanted something other than green in there. It has about 10 heads. After it acclimates to the light it will find a final home.

20160110_204926_zps6zd6abgz.jpg

Zoa garden coming in strong

20160110_204937_zpsnqy7xba0.jpg

bryantkalagian

Finally brought myself around to painting the rest of the stand. I've been putting it off for at least a month and it took me about 10 minutes haha

20160112_093115-1_zpsvywpz8pr.jpg

bryantkalagian

Got another acan frag for free today. Turned in my free points at a LFS. Has a really pretty purple/blue color in person. Has about 18 heads and is close to two square inches!

20160112_192424-1_zpsdsqq8tvy.jpg

bryantkalagian

Set up a little water making area in the garage. Makes water changes and filling up top off water 100 times easier.

Message_1448232277698-1-1_zpswzuayjd0.jp

Finally got a little nicer power bar too. I've been messing with the wiring so I need to re-organize all the wires still.

20160114_235820_zpsocxqnhem.jpg

bryantkalagian

Nice mixing station. I really want to do something similar myself but just don't have the room :(.

That's pretty much the cheapest and easiest option with cinder blocks costing like 95 cents haha. Its only 35 gallons too so it doesn't take too much room.

What are these little purple tube like things?

Screenshot_2016-01-21-23-31-07-1.png_zps

Those are Vermitid Snails. Reef safe, but can be annoying. They spit this stringy stuff that is kind of like spider webbing to collect food. They do multiply pretty fast, I had one hitchhike in on a frag and I have tons and tons of them now.

bryantkalagian

Those are Vermitid Snails. Reef safe, but can be annoying. They spit this stringy stuff that is kind of like spider webbing to collect food. They do multiply pretty fast, I had one hitchhike in on a frag and I have tons and tons of them now.

Interesting, thank you. I've see strings before but didn't know they were snails. I have a good amount of them on my rocks

Archived