Cultivated Reef

Gooburz Deep Blue 80 Breeder Build! 27 Nov, lots of PICS!

Gooburz

HarryPotter

Almost forgot some FTS without the blue/red/ultraviolet/purple lights on, just pure white lights so you have a better idea how the tank looks with my crappy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Camera.

22587_10153961302211224_1120431424602560

12936749_10153961302126224_4341122045953

12670542_10153961301991224_5144645601616

Hope you all enjoy and like, please comment for suggestions or ideas to improve!!!

Looks great! MORRRRR FISHHHHHH!

Have you thought of a sand sifting star? Pretty cheap and they're amazing since they keep your sand WHITE all the time.

• Like 1

Looks great! MORRRRR FISHHHHHH!

Have you thought of a sand sifting star? Pretty cheap and they're amazing since they keep your sand WHITE all the time.

Funny you mention that, I got 2 Sand Sifting Starfish last week! So far they have been amazing! half the tank looks like brand new sand and they are working their way to the other half. Have to say they are the BEST part of my CUC by far!

I get up for work at 0500 and I always go look at the tank with my Red Light Flashlight and see them moving about in the dark. I'm almost wanting to add a 3rd one to the tank because they will have plenty of room and places to clean up on.

• 2 weeks later...

So, right now I have 4 cardinal fish, loving the schooling fish idea. Should I get more of them or another type of schooling fish. Suggestions please!!!

Also after much irritation I'm getting rid of my Bubble Magus Curve 7 and going with a Vertex Omega 130. Just not getting the Bubble Magus to produce skim properly. Have tried many different water levels for it and poor production since November. When I hand my hob PSK Eshopps on the tank it pulls like crazy so I know it's the bubble magus.

But please schooling fish ideas, make the Cardinal school bigger or suggest another kind.

Maybe a school of chromis?

Chromis are cool but they always end up killing each other off.

Have you looked into the coralbox skimmers?

I thought about chtomis but wasn't sure, it's debatable and they are cheap.

Never looked at coral box skimmers. Was going between the aquamaxx and vertex and since my awesome LFS stocks them I'll be going with the Vertex, plus their construction is top notch

Add more chalkbass!

I had a big group of 11 that did great; all hung out together on one end of my big tank. Great little fish that didn't have too many spats between themselves (unlike chromis/anthias).

• Like 1

Holy frogspawn and GSP! Those colonies are huge, haha. What is that orange thing, lobophyllia or symphyllia I presume?

Yeah they have gotten massive after 3 years, and I've cut out about a dozen heads so far from the frogspawn. The orange one is a Open Brain coral, it too has doubled in size over the past year. Sad thing is I don't dose anything in my tank and just do water changes hahaha.

Have you thought about a group of Anthias?

I thought about doing 3-5 of them, but I heard they have to eat very often and that kinda turns me off if true.

Nice build just read through it as I am looking at the same tank for an upgrade.

And as for fish I would just say anthias also.

This tank is beyond my favorite tank out there. If and when I upgrade down the road I would do a custom tank. I'd keep it the same height but stretch it out another 2-3 feet.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It's been awhile and I tried the group of Anthias and they died within 2 weeks. I fed them often like it says and still they died off so I went simple and got 5 chromis and they have been doing great and VERY active on the middle to upper tank.

Here are a couple FTS from the front and from the top down.

20160509_153410.jpg

20160509_153357.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah they have gotten massive after 3 years, and I've cut out about a dozen heads so far from the frogspawn. The orange one is a Open Brain coral, it too has doubled in size over the past year. Sad thing is I don't dose anything in my tank and just do water changes hahaha.

You don't dose anything and your corals grow that well? That's awesome!

• Like 1
mystersyster

It's been awhile and I tried the group of Anthias and they died within 2 weeks. I fed them often like it says and still they died off so I went simple and got 5 chromis and they have been doing great and VERY active on the middle to upper tank.

Here are a couple FTS from the front and from the top down.

20160509_153410.jpg

20160509_153357.jpg

Tank is looking awesome. I'm so jelly of your euphyllia. My Hammer coral went from 3 to 1. Been doing "fine" with one head for a while now. No growth except for some weird jagged skeleton on the dead heads. Super weird. How are the Derasa clams? I see one of them looks like he turned away from the glass... lol. Mine did last night.

• Like 1

You don't dose anything and your corals grow that well? That's awesome!

Yeah I don't dose anything, the only thing I started because of the clams was a bit of calcium but I kinda just add it like once every other week. I keep things SUPER simple with great results. I do feed the tank Reef chili every few days and the corals seem to open up/extend more when I do it.

Tank is looking awesome. I'm so jelly of your euphyllia. My Hammer coral went from 3 to 1. Been doing "fine" with one head for a while now. No growth except for some weird jagged skeleton on the dead heads. Super weird. How are the Derasa clams? I see one of them looks like he turned away from the glass... lol. Mine did last night.

The bigger clam has grown at least 2 inches since I got it and the smaller one is doing great as well. I want to say I got the larger one sometime mid Nov and the other one about 3 months ago.

Yeah I have had great luck with my Frogspawn, it grows like crazy and I've given away prolly about 20 heads and it's still that massive. My purple torch was 3 nice size heads then went down to 1 and now it's SLOWLY starting to grow new ones about a year later. I'm not giving up on that one because I love the purple torch.

• Like 1

This tank is an inspiration for me!

That means a lot to me! I've taken away so much from people on this site in the past 3+ years and if I can help anyone out I love that!

I've always approached my reef tank with the simplest methods and they have been VERY successful. I highly recommend it for anyone and everyone. But there are so many other successful ways out there to keep a reef tank. So take as many ideas as you can and mold them to fit your needs/wants.

• 1 month later...

Where them updates?

Sorry, I am overdue for updates and pics. I will add pics soon! I can tell you that I ditched 3 of my power heads and added just 1 MP40WD and it's amazing how powerful and well it provides great flow throughout the tank.

PICS SOON!

• Like 2

OK so a bit has happened since my last update which has been awhile and I'm sorry for that! I post a lot on the FB group of Virginia Beach "NO BS Reefing". But I've added the new MP40 and removed my 3 Hydor pumps so now all I have is the MP40 and my return pump and this thing puts out some flow! I run it at about 30/35% and it's more than enough!

Also the coral is growing like crazy! For those of you who ask I run Red Sea Coral Pro salt still, Add a little calcium here and there ( I don't measure or test ), run charcoal in the sump, a MASSIVE chunk of Chaeto, and feed my tank mysis shrimp and Reef chili and that is it! I do a 20 gallon water change once every month/every other month. I believe in SIMPLE reef keeping and my tank of 4 years proves that success. Without further adue here are the photos ! (FYI Spelling because I'm buzzed hahaha)

Also ditched the bubble magus skimmer, was a BIG let down, went with a Vertex omega 180 and lowered my sump level and just omg it is such a well built beautiful skimmer!!!! I'll have to get a couple pics of my sump soon!

20160703_145311.jpg

20160703_145313.jpg

20160702_131220.jpg

FB_IMG_1467649837113.jpg

20160519_204759.jpg

and more pics to come in the next few days, promise! Let me know what you all think!

• Like 1

Ok, here is the simple baffel-less sump I run.

So here is the skimmer, that is about 3 days of waste. Can't stress enough how much I LOVE the Vertex line of skimmers, wasn't difficult to adjust or break in. After a month and several little adjustments I have it just right!

20160715_200202.jpg

Overall sump, PAR38 I had laying around, no baffles, egg crate for the rock and massive chaeto ball that was the size of a golf ball and now the size of a basket ball, manually turn it and twist it up every couple of days, and yes my PISS poor wire management lol.

20160715_200137.jpg

Last but not least is inside the basket, pic makes it look small but it is a massive basket and takes up over half my 40 breeder sump.

20160715_200148.jpg

• Like 1
Odyssey350kc

I wanted to put cheato in an egg crate box just like you did, but i was told it tends to come out and clog the skimmer intake. have you had this happen?

• Like 1