Pod Your Reef

Almost giving up

RozZy

Alright cleaned my pumps, disconnected the UV lamp, did a water change and aimed a large fan on the sump. (Did all this last night)

Temperature is now at 79.8-80.8.

Should I go lower ?

It's cold in my apartment (around 72f).

Is it normal to be at that temperature when it's so cold inside ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright cleaned my pumps, disconnected the UV lamp, did a water change and aimed a large fan on the sump. (Did all this last night)

Temperature is now at 79.8-80.8.

Should I go lower ?

It's cold in my apartment (around 72f).

Is it normal to be at that temperature when it's so cold inside ?

72 is cold? haha. I keep my house at 64 and that is too warm for me.

Personally I let my tank swing from 78.5-79.5. All controlled via apex. I've always found that to be the ideal range when everything is happy.

Personally I let my tank swing from 78.5-79.5. All controlled via apex. I've always found that to be the ideal range when everything is happy.

Hey man I'm from California ?

Yeah the temperature is still dropping. It's at 79.2! Mission successful.

Let's see how my corals will be doing. I'm suspecting I have to do a couple of water changes to stabilize things though

So glad to see your tank doing better! I also live in CA, and my tank temperature is 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

64 requires a scarf and fuzzy slipper boots.

I'm originally from Sweden (Moved here about 5 years ago), and yes its cold there. I guess I just got adjusted to the weather here.

Went to the LFS and he tested my water.

The calcium levels are painfully low, So I'm returning the kalkwasser and going back to my 2 part dosing,

he also recommended Rowaphos now that I fixed the source of the problem to get rid of the rest of the phosphates.

His results were:

Phosphates 0.1

Calcium 240

Nitrates Below 10

PH 8.0

I can't wait until I can buy and grow corals again! I want an SPS Forest !

I would only do 2 part OR kalkwasser, not both at least thats what i know since they basically do the same thing, im running into a problem know whwere i do a water change my alk and calc go high, and its because its not being taken up by my corals so im basicallu adding to it, its frustrating

I would only do 2 part OR kalkwasser, not both at least thats what i know since they basically do the same thing, im running into a problem know whwere i do a water change my alk and calc go high, and its because its not being taken up by my corals so im basicallu adding to it, its frustrating

That is annoying.

Yes I will remove the kalkwasser for sure. he recommended 15 ml of each part (thinking its 60 gal of water)

You guys have been so helpful!

That is annoying.

Yes I will remove the kalkwasser for sure. he recommended 15 ml of each part (thinking its 60 gal of water)

Its hard to "recommend" a correct amount to dose because tanks can use in VERY different amounts; the coraline and other corals utilize these so you can't have a "One-fits-all" amount for a quantity of water.

But its a place to start; just keep on testing.

That is annoying.

thats what we are here for, you should also make a log for your tank, it can be a lot of fun if people follow and comment :P

pics of the boots or it didnt happen

:flower:

Fuzzy boot fuzzballs included. It's only 66 degrees and not 64 right now, but I put the boots on just for you.

ONuZgiC.jpg

Alright guys, still having a more minor issue.

The temperature in my apartment varies from 72-75 degress, but my tanks temperature NEVER goes below 79.5 and varies up to 82.5 degrees. I know its not bad, but its still not optimal, and oh, the red slime is still growing even though phosphates are now at 0-0.03 ppm (thank you rowaphos).

I'm clueless what the cause of this is, as I cleaned most pumps. But it might be one of these n

My polyps and duncan coral haven't really responded well either, BUT my birdsnest is doing much better. Too low nutrients? I don't know.

I'm dosing Acropower, Seachem Reef plus and Phyto 2-3 times per week. One of the dosings include spot feeding with Coral Frenzy. Still no luck.

Should I bomb it once more with chemiclean?

I'm kind of on a budget and I'm wondering if these might be the issue of the water temp raise:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZHZ1Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I'm gonna try turning one off and see what happens

Alright guys, still having a more minor issue.

The temperature in my apartment varies from 72-75 degress, but my tanks temperature NEVER goes below 79.5 and varies up to 82.5 degrees. I know its not bad, but its still not optimal, and oh, the red slime is still growing even though phosphates are now at 0-0.03 ppm (thank you rowaphos).

I'm clueless what the cause of this is, as I cleaned most pumps. But it might be one of these n

My polyps and duncan coral haven't really responded well either, BUT my birdsnest is doing much better. Too low nutrients? I don't know.

I'm dosing Acropower, Seachem Reef plus and Phyto 2-3 times per week. One of the dosings include spot feeding with Coral Frenzy. Still no luck.

Should I bomb it once more with chemiclean?

I'm kind of on a budget and I'm wondering if these might be the issue of the water temp raise:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZHZ1Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I'm gonna try turning one off and see what happens

give it more time, there any reason your dosing acropower and reef plus? if you need to lower the temp, put a fan up blowing across the water,

give it more time, there any reason your dosing acropower and reef plus? if you need to lower the temp, put a fan up blowing across the water,

That's how things were growing like nuts before, I dosed all those.

I have a fan blasting on the sump.

Im gonna experiment a bit tomorrow, for example replace the return pump with a rio pump I have . Crossing fingers

hhmm, i know things can go wrong quickly and seamingly out of no where. maybe try cutting back on the dosing and see what happens. duncans i know can be drama queens so give it some more time, what salt are you using? the acropower and reef plus are very similar products, i dont think it would be nessisary to dose both unless you alternate, i know the phyto also contains lots of bad stuff for your corals too, so i might cut everything back by half and see

hhmm, i know things can go wrong quickly and seamingly out of no where. maybe try cutting back on the dosing and see what happens. duncans i know can be drama queens so give it some more time, what salt are you using? the acropower and reef plus are very similar products, i dont think it would be nessisary to dose both unless you alternate, i know the phyto also contains lots of bad stuff for your corals too, so i might cut everything back by half and see

Yes will do.

I use instant ocean unfortunately (which is what's draining my calcium at the water changes) but I also dose the two part dosing system every day to replenish.

Not sure if this is a bad idea. But I'm about to invest in a Aquaclear HOB 110 and make it into a fuge and adding chemipure to it. (I'll put a ball of chaeto in it)

It wouln't hurt would it?

Not sure if this is a bad idea. But I'm about to invest in a Aquaclear HOB 110 and make it into a fuge and adding chemipure to it. (I'll put a ball of chaeto in it)

It wouln't hurt would it?

I feel like thats going 1/2 way with a refugium and 1/2 way with chemical filtration.

If you want chemical filtration I would get a BRS reactor. Use GFO or carbon (Or both if done correctly).

If you have room in your sump, you could do a refugium there. Much easier and cheaper to get the proper lighting if done in-sump.

Why would you use a HOB?

Archived