Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Gooburz Navy Deployment More pics 03 Nov, Almost Home!

Gooburz

A Kings fan works? GTFO

hahaha. Have you not seen Kessel, Crosby and Kunitz/Malkin yet? Those guys aren't going to be easy to stop.

Yeah, how else is a guy supposed to get the money to drive to LA (from San Diego) and sit on the glass?

Pfffftt. They'll be simple to stop. Brown will tell Kessel his sister likes it in the butt, Cindy that his tampon string is showing and Kunitz/Malkin that they are even uglier as a hybrid than they were when they were two players. Complete emotional wreckage of the Pens first line. Game over.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I am a bit nervous right now being that there is a Hurricane heading to Virginia and will be hitting sometime Sunday. Not something I want to see happen while I'm deployed and my wife is home solo and the thought of a power outage and my reef tank going down the toilet.....Obviously I'm more concerned with my wife, house, and vehicles than my reef tank but I am crossing my fingers with this one!

Those of you in the VA area I hope you guys are ok as well!

But to try to lighten the mood of that I'm posting some sunrise/sunset pics that I've enjoyed while out here.

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0072%202.jpg

So I am a bit nervous right now being that there is a Hurricane heading to Virginia and will be hitting sometime Sunday. Not something I want to see happen while I'm deployed and my wife is home solo and the thought of a power outage and my reef tank going down the toilet.....Obviously I'm more concerned with my wife, house, and vehicles than my reef tank but I am crossing my fingers with this one!

Those of you in the VA area I hope you guys are ok as well!

But to try to lighten the mood of that I'm posting some sunrise/sunset pics that I've enjoyed while out here.

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0072%202.jpg

Good luck to you and your wife, as well as anyone else in that area. Being from Florida, I know very well how you feel. Fingers crossed for your wife. Does she have anyone in the area that can help her prepare?

Good luck to you and your wife, as well as anyone else in that area. Being from Florida, I know very well how you feel. Fingers crossed for your wife. Does she have anyone in the area that can help her prepare?

Yeah we have friends there and other family members from the ship that all look out for each other. I sent her a list to help her prepare for and we are talking about getting a generator within the next 24 hours just in case. I lived in FL for 10 years before the Navy so I'm very familiar with hurricanes as well.

Yeah it would suck if the tank did die and I had to start over but my top priorities are my wife, house, vehicles. Sadly the tank has to come towards the bottom of the list. Fingers crossed though, hate being halfway around the world and not there to help her get prepped for the situation if it goes for the worse.

Praying for you and yours sir. Hope all is well.

No Sir here, just an average E-5/2nd Class Petty Officer :)

Looks like the hurricane is going to stay out to sea but still going to take a beating from the bands with a ton of rain so not out of the "woods" yet.

No Sir here, just an average E-5/2nd Class Petty Officer :)

Looks like the hurricane is going to stay out to sea but still going to take a beating from the bands with a ton of rain so not out of the "woods" yet.

Any fishing supply store will sell these great battery air pumps. Pop one in and the tanks good for 72+ hours, then replace the batteries if neccesary.

Is temperature a concern?

Any fishing supply store will sell these great battery air pumps. Pop one in and the tanks good for 72+ hours, then replace the batteries if neccesary.

Is temperature a concern?

Turns out the wife is already ahead of me and is picking one of them up today when she gets off work. Found out because she works for a large Logistics company they actually are part of this place called Save-A-Lot pets and she gets a discount so now I'm seeing if they can order my Deep Blue 80 Breeder and get a discount on it!!!! :)

Temp isn't a concern right now because the temp is around 75-78 so I'm not worried if the tank fluctuates a few degrees as long as I keep that water moving.

Yeah, how else is a guy supposed to get the money to drive to LA (from San Diego) and sit on the glass?

Pfffftt. They'll be simple to stop. Brown will tell Kessel his sister likes it in the butt, Cindy that his tampon string is showing and Kunitz/Malkin that they are even uglier as a hybrid than they were when they were two players. Complete emotional wreckage of the Pens first line. Game over.

Ahhh. A rookie that sits too close to the glass. Didn't you know the best seats are 10-15 rows off the glass?

Gooburz - Have her check out Harbor Freight for a generator. They have a 3200watt unit that is $339 right now with a 20% off coupon. Plenty to run your tank, fridge and some lights/other small needs for a few days or hours.

Just went through all the pictures, and jeebus man... thank you for everything you've done and continue to do for us and this country. More Pictures!!!

i wouldnt worry to much about Joaquin, Hes curving east so you'll get some rain but not hurricane type of rain

charnelhouse

Ahhh. A rookie that sits too close to the glass. Didn't you know the best seats are 10-15 rows off the glass?

Oh, you just outed yourself as a total hockey noob. 10-15 rows off is for dopes getting gouged by STH's. You either have to sit in the first five rows (preferably on the blue line in your teams shoot twice end) or up in the 200's or above.

Here's the reasoning:

First five rows are the best way to get the true visceral feel of the hits and speed of the game. You miss a lot in the way of play development, but seeing the saliva marks on the glass after someone gets hammered into them, ducking when you look up to a puck coming right at your face (yes, the glass, but reflex bruh) or seeing the laser beam from the blue line coming off Doughty's stick (or Blake if you want to go back a while) all make it worth it.

200's or above you get the total picture of the ice and see play develop (assuming of course you know enough about the game to understand how plays develop) without having the top of the glass, netting, benches, penalty boxes, cameras, etc. etc. interfering with your view. 10-15 rows off the glass you have all of the above problems, especially the top of the glass being in the middle of the ice. The netting from that close annoys me too. Further back it kind of disappears and 5 rows in and closer you don't look through it at all.

So there. Call that rookie if you want. Enjoy your shitty view from 10-15 back :D

Side note: maybe we need to get CM to add an N-R Hockey Talk forum in General :D:P:D

Oh, you just outed yourself as a total hockey noob. 10-15 rows off is for dopes getting gouged by STH's. You either have to sit in the first five rows (preferably on the blue line in your teams shoot twice end) or up in the 200's or above.

Here's the reasoning:

First five rows are the best way to get the true visceral feel of the hits and speed of the game. You miss a lot in the way of play development, but seeing the saliva marks on the glass after someone gets hammered into them, ducking when you look up to a puck coming right at your face (yes, the glass, but reflex bruh) or seeing the laser beam from the blue line coming off Doughty's stick (or Blake if you want to go back a while) all make it worth it.

200's or above you get the total picture of the ice and see play develop (assuming of course you know enough about the game to understand how plays develop) without having the top of the glass, netting, benches, penalty boxes, cameras, etc. etc. interfering with your view. 10-15 rows off the glass you have all of the above problems, especially the top of the glass being in the middle of the ice. The netting from that close annoys me too. Further back it kind of disappears and 5 rows in and closer you don't look through it at all.

So there. Call that rookie if you want. Enjoy your shitty view from 10-15 back :D

Side note: maybe we need to get CM to add an N-R Hockey Talk forum in General :D:P:D

GET OUTTA HERE! 10-15 rows back is widely known as the best view in the NHL. Opposite side of the benches. Penalty boxes don't get in the way. And I bought all my tickets for my upcoming trip for cheaper then the first 5 rows. Which I'd NEVER sit in. I want to see the entire sheet vs a small portion. I'll also never sit in the 200s. Too high. 10-15 is perfect. Especially in Vancouver where I attend a lot of games. And sorry bro but I don't get off on other dude's saliva. haha

charnelhouse

GET OUTTA HERE! 10-15 rows back is widely known as the best view in the NHL. Opposite side of the benches. Penalty boxes don't get in the way. And I bought all my tickets for my upcoming trip for cheaper then the first 5 rows. Which I'd NEVER sit in. I want to see the entire sheet vs a small portion. I'll also never sit in the 200s. Too high. 10-15 is perfect. Especially in Vancouver where I attend a lot of games. And sorry bro but I don't get off on other dude's saliva. haha

There's your problem right there. Eff Vancouver. And you don't have to lie about the saliva thing bro. We accept you anyway :D

charnelhouse

Never said I like the Canucks.

I'm glad you accept me hahaa

I wasn't talking about the Casucks per se. I was talking about Vancouver. Eff that place. It's a shithole :D:D :D plus they riot when they lose.

I wasn't talking about the Casucks per se. I was talking about Vancouver. Eff that place. It's a shithole :D:D :D plus they riot when they lose.

Vancouver is so nice. Have you ever been there? haha. A lot better then LA that is for sure. Rioting is awesome! haha

Ok enough. More cool ship pictures pleaseeeeee

Air_Cooled_Nut

Hey, cool, another squid! I was on the USS Deyo DD989 and did two cruises to the Persian Gulf. Yes, Italy is my favorite port as well. Bahrain, Dubai, Kuwait, all of 'em, nooooo thank you! Quite cryin' about your internet access, I was in '87 to '90 -- yes, THREE long, hateful years but then three years of weekend-warrior and then 2 years in the inactive reserve -- and we wrote letters...from the Gulf it was typically two weeks for a letter to reach its destination ONE-WAY. So quit bitchin' :lol:

I was a twidget: Sonar Technician Surface, 3rd Class. And you're a spook, right? :ninja:

For those that don't know, you don't call an enlisted person "Sir" as that is meant for officers. Now you can understand what's meant by the remarks when one of y'all says "Sir" to him ;)

It's good you enjoy the military as I hated it. I had a bad command so that affected life aboard ship. However, the military was the best mistake I made as it straightened me out and allowed me to put myself through college.

If anyone has Facebook you can see my album, pre-digital camera days (I was also the ship's photographer for a time):

https://www.facebook.com/toby.erkson/media_set?set=a.474393055916769.105399.100000382372308&type=3

I took this of an ASROC (Anti-Submarine ROCket) which is basically a rocket-launched torpedo and they came in Nuclear flavor!

409261_474393082583433_1144513046_n.jpg?

BTW, do you actually have women aboard? When I was in, women weren't allowed to have a billet on a combat ship; supply ships only. When did that change? I'm glad they finally allow women into combat positions.

Air_Cooled_Nut

185210_1882165382384_6758645_n.jpg?oh=b6

This was my vacation time, on patrol lmao... what a day this was.

The kitty liter patch of land around the Persian Gulf was ugly, especially when one has grown up in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Or even Cali. I really felt bad for you ground-stompers given where I was: In an air-conditioned space, sippin' coffee and snacking on Doritos, listening to whales fart because the Gulf is too bloody small for a submarine :rolleyes:

The one great skill I got from the Navy (aside from passing a literal white-glove inspection) was how to hold a full cup o' Joe while traveling through heavy seas and not spill it. My finger has a permanent kink in it from holding a coffee cup <_<

Anyway, thanks for your service. My cousin's son is on his third tour in Afghanistan with a target, er, radio on his back. It's a sucky job and y'all are braver than I am :bowdown:

charnelhouse

A rainbow has never been so beautiful

Rainbow of death

Monarch to the kingdom of the dead

Merciless butcher

Rainbow of death...

Sorry, the crazy kicking in today. Hope at least someone out there gets it.

The kitty liter patch of land around the Persian Gulf was ugly, especially when one has grown up in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Or even Cali. I really felt bad for you ground-stompers given where I was: In an air-conditioned space, sippin' coffee and snacking on Doritos, listening to whales fart because the Gulf is too bloody small for a submarine :rolleyes:

The one great skill I got from the Navy (aside from passing a literal white-glove inspection) was how to hold a full cup o' Joe while traveling through heavy seas and not spill it. My finger has a permanent kink in it from holding a coffee cup <_<

Anyway, thanks for your service. My cousin's son is on his third tour in Afghanistan with a target, er, radio on his back. It's a sucky job and y'all are braver than I am :bowdown:

Oh trust me there were perks to my job too, all of them have them. Except, burning our sH!t and trash sucked. If I could have one thing, it would be a nice solid piece of porcelain I can sit on and take a dump haha! Thank you sir!

Rainbow of death

Monarch to the kingdom of the dead

Merciless butcher

Rainbow of death...

Sorry, the crazy kicking in today. Hope at least someone out there gets it.

SLAYER

Gooburz - Have her check out Harbor Freight for a generator. They have a 3200watt unit that is $339 right now with a 20% off coupon. Plenty to run your tank, fridge and some lights/other small needs for a few days or hours.

I did look at Harbor Freight and I like theirs and I held off for now because we won't need it. It will be an investment next year when I buy their 7000 watt generator so I can run central A/C or heating and fridge/freezer and tank. I'll be going big with it for sure!

AND LETS GET ONE THING CLEAR WITH HOCKEY, CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS! ENOUGH SAID, THEY ARE HOCKEY!

Hey, cool, another squid! I was on the USS Deyo DD989 and did two cruises to the Persian Gulf. Yes, Italy is my favorite port as well. Bahrain, Dubai, Kuwait, all of 'em, nooooo thank you! Quite cryin' about your internet access, I was in '87 to '90 -- yes, THREE long, hateful years but then three years of weekend-warrior and then 2 years in the inactive reserve -- and we wrote letters...from the Gulf it was typically two weeks for a letter to reach its destination ONE-WAY. So quit bitchin' :lol:

I was a twidget: Sonar Technician Surface, 3rd Class. And you're a spook, right? :ninja:

For those that don't know, you don't call an enlisted person "Sir" as that is meant for officers. Now you can understand what's meant by the remarks when one of y'all says "Sir" to him ;)

It's good you enjoy the military as I hated it. I had a bad command so that affected life aboard ship. However, the military was the best mistake I made as it straightened me out and allowed me to put myself through college.

If anyone has Facebook you can see my album, pre-digital camera days (I was also the ship's photographer for a time):

https://www.facebook.com/toby.erkson/media_set?set=a.474393055916769.105399.100000382372308&type=3

I took this of an ASROC (Anti-Submarine ROCket) which is basically a rocket-launched torpedo and they came in Nuclear flavor!

409261_474393082583433_1144513046_n.jpg?

BTW, do you actually have women aboard? When I was in, women weren't allowed to have a billet on a combat ship; supply ships only. When did that change? I'm glad they finally allow women into combat positions.

Awesome picture! And hell yeah I cry about my internet because well I miss it lol. You are correct I am a "spook" and do all the fun Intel things that nobody gets to see. We do have plenty of women on board and they work just as hard and harder than the men too. Our STG2 here is a beast and she is extremely knowledgeable , about to be an instructor too.

And the Military got me straightened out and got me to meet my wife whom I've been with for 5 years now, couldn't be happier but ready to get out next year.

Archived