Coral Vue Hydros

Reefer 250 (new photos 4/14)

davy jones

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was part of a Bi-annual frag swap with my local club. Everything on the rack, and the pink tipped hammer and the other massive yuma next to it were picked up at the swap. Saved a boatload of money, and everything was fragged from corals in tanks so nothing pulled from the ocean (atleast within the last couple of years ha)

I have gotten nearly all my corals since i set up this tank from local members :)

It was part of a Bi-annual frag swap with my local club. Everything on the rack, and the pink tipped hammer and the other massive yuma next to it were picked up at the swap. Saved a boatload of money, and everything was fragged from corals in tanks so nothing pulled from the ocean (atleast within the last couple of years ha)

I have gotten nearly all my corals since i set up this tank from local members :)

yea, that's the way to go. The corals I have gotten from local members are so much more hardy than store corals. Especially when it's from people breaking down their 2-3 years old tank with mature colonies.

Great looking tank :)

Appreciate it! ill Try to get some clearer pictures before i leave for the holidays but i doubt it.. Im also hoping to mount all my frags after i get back so thatll be interesting.. Still needs more movement though!

yea, that's the way to go. The corals I have gotten from local members are so much more hardy than store corals. Especially when it's from people breaking down their 2-3 years old tank with mature colonies.

Thats my experience as well. Im pretty sure Its the only way ill be buying corals anymore.

My girlfriend doesnt like all the "Boring Stick things" so what are some fun things to put in here, something with movement preferably? Whats everyones favorite non "boring stick thing" (i.e. favorite lps lol)

My girlfriend doesnt like all the "Boring Stick things" so what are some fun things to put in here, something with movement preferably? Whats everyones favorite non "boring stick thing" (i.e. favorite lps lol)

She doesn't notice the 2 bta's, duncans or hammer corals in there?!

Take her to New Wave and have her pic something out.

She doesn't notice the 2 bta's, duncans or hammer corals in there?!

Take her to New Wave and have her pic something out.

The duncans are her FAVORITE but they arent the show piece, she says the sticks are more showy than the stuff i have lol

Aaaand id love to but everything ive bought at new wave has died... so we dont go there anymore. Sadly enough petco minnetonka has done better for me than new wave has. I love travis and them but for some reason none of theyre stuff survive in my tank, maybe ill take her to saltwater empire

The duncans are her FAVORITE but they arent the show piece, she says the sticks are more showy than the stuff i have lol

Aaaand id love to but everything ive bought at new wave has died... so we dont go there anymore. Sadly enough petco minnetonka has done better for me than new wave has. I love travis and them but for some reason none of theyre stuff survive in my tank, maybe ill take her to saltwater empire

Strange you say that... I've had a couple problems with acro's from them. I assumed it was my acclimation or parameters. However - I do have a red planet and a chalice or two that's been great from them. I have a $50 card that I'm planning to use on a clam.

SWE's stuff always seems very hardy.

Where/who did you get your Digi's from? Reefking? :lol:

Strange you say that... I've had a couple problems with acro's from them. I assumed it was my acclimation or parameters. However - I do have a red planet and a chalice or two that's been great from them. I have a $50 card that I'm planning to use on a clam.

SWE's stuff always seems very hardy.

Where/who did you get your Digi's from? Reefking? :lol:

lost 2 black and white clowns from them, a torch, a purple LTA, a kole tang, a feather duster, an open brain and 3 anthias (the anthias i was not aware of theyre care requirements, but they lasted 3 days at most which is iffy..) so i refuse to shop there anymore. idk what it is about theyre stuff.

EDIT: At first i thought it was me or something i was doing as well, but when i can get stuff from petco, SWE, Divers den and about 6 other local members and it all thrives and grows well.. It makes a guy wonder.

I actually got my digi from flounder i want to say, all my sps have come from other local members. couldnt be happier with them. Might try and get some of that awesome goni that jl has in his 120...

Sad thing is reef king does have a beautiful blue stag in his tank, i saw his ads on craigslist prior to him being him on the forum.. almost bought some stuff. Still might in the future even though hes a tool.

lost 2 black and white clowns from them, a torch, a purple LTA, a kole tang, a feather duster, an open brain and 3 anthias (the anthias i was not aware of theyre care requirements, but they lasted 3 days at most which is iffy..) so i refuse to shop there anymore. idk what it is about theyre stuff.

EDIT: At first i thought it was me or something i was doing as well, but when i can get stuff from petco, SWE, Divers den and about 6 other local members and it all thrives and grows well.. It makes a guy wonder.

I actually got my digi from flounder i want to say, all my sps have come from other local members. couldnt be happier with them. Might try and get some of that awesome goni that jl has in his 120...

Sad thing is reef king does have a beautiful blue stag in his tank, i saw his ads on craigslist prior to him being him on the forum.. almost bought some stuff. Still might in the future even though hes a tool.

Didn't know that was him on craigslist. Those threads are getting nasty lol

Dude that's a TON of fish casualties. I'd be wary too.

Flounder has really nice stuff. I was going to pick up some during the swap but it was right before my tank move. Didn't want to add, only to watch them die. I might have to hit him up.

Get a torch. I notice you have a small one. Get a bigggger one =P.

A gold torch!

Didn't know that was him on craigslist. I remember those. Mega tool. Those threads are getting nasty lol

Dude that's a TON of fish casualties. I'd be wary too.

Flounder has really nice stuff. I was going to pick up some during the swap but it was right before my tank move. Didn't want to add, only to watch them die. I might have to hit him up.

A gold torch!

Yes, i do need a good torch, the one i have has never been the same since it was buried by my damn pistol shrimp. Been all sad and closed up for months, no matter what lighting or flow i put him in so i just kinda stick it somewhere and will see how it goes.

I think i have a fair amount of things to look for,

Red ora gonipora

Nice torch

Photosynthetic gorg

A clam or 2

And an Ultra Green bubble tip anemone.

Also things im looking for (eventually)

Tomini tang

Starry blenny

nice clown to go with the one i have

helfrichi firefish pair

I think that pretty much rounds out everything, got some sticks, some euphillia, some nems, a couple clams, some fish... i cant keep zoas alive really so im not gonna get into those and ive never had a chalice so i dont know anything about them either.

Just looked at his craigslist ads... he lives like half a mile from me. Sent him a PM to buy some of his pieces lol

"Regards, the reefer"

lololol but actually, he does have decent looking stuff. But what kept me from dealing was the "my wife wont let anyone in the house so we ahve to meet at a gas station" bit. I want to inspect the colony before i buy a frag ya know?

Absolutely on the list! on a side note do you spot feed your goni?

Not my green goni. I read the green ones are ez pz.

Maybe ill get a red one and a green one... I could use the color lol if i put them next to eachother will they kill eachother ya think?

The tank looks great! I wish life would stop getting in the way of me filling up my new 450.... I can't wait to get it started with some stock.

So couple of things! First off, picked up a starry blenny and a black and white clown for the tank, as well as a halloween urchin and 5 trochus snails.

Next i attached all my frags the best i could (seriously.. how do you guys do it? all my attachments look like shit. and some of them didnt stay. definately need help with this.)

After this I had only a pair of my t5's turn on after having shut them off for about 10 minutes for doing some maintenence.. I took it all apart and checked teh wires and everything and i think ive narrowed it down to the ballast.

I also had a conversation with someone who seemed to think that i was running way too much light into the tank for anything but the most demanding sps.. So on a whim i lowered the intesnity of all my led's by about 30% as well as only having the 2 t5 bulbs running (not on purpose).. Today my anemones look the best ive seen them since theyve gone in this tank. Which is a really good sign.

And here are the photos.. Notice i found the hidden camera settings on my phone. I played around with it a bit and i think this is what looked the best without being too overly fake. Whatcha guys think?

20160102_120527_zpsvd9b9n58.jpg

20160102_120522_zpswaxtrrjw.jpg

20160102_120517_zps2yndyprc.jpg

20160102_120505_zpsuh3pikzn.jpg

20160102_115508_zpsgwvhiz3t.jpg

20160102_115435_zps9iqscyhb.jpg

20160102_115428_zpsnc0nmnk7.jpg

20160102_115253_zps0xqx8xsh.jpg

20160102_115136_zpsmibbigvs.jpg

20160102_165032_zpsybcrxbyg.jpg

20160102_165038_zpsgdtbal0m.jpg

20160102_152332_zpsabcznzfx.jpg

Not sure if im doing the video correctly lol but here

Thanks, still trying to get the photography thing down, but I think I'm getting better!

Also, does everyone else's skimmer go nuts when you use epoxy? It's been 24 hours and the skimmer overflows in about 7 seconds...

Squiggles is very cute. Pink Lemonades will be green on the base, the growth tips are the yellow flesh color and as it grows you see more of the yellow.

Some epoxy makes skimmers go nuts yes.

As for gluing frags - check the Stevie T method in the library of articles

He really is one of my favorite fish, pretty shy but when he's out and about its a very beautiful goby. To be completely honest though I think it would do better in a nano tank, something where he is the only fish, so he won't get spooked all the time.

Will do, thanks for the suggestion!

He really is one of my favorite fish, pretty shy but when he's out and about its a very beautiful goby. To be completely honest though I think it would do better in a nano tank, something where he is the only fish, so he won't get spooked all the time.

Will do, thanks for the suggestion!

He needs a shrimp buddy, they are bolder when they have a pistol by their side.

Archived