inTank Media Baskets

DustnF's Deep Blue 30g Shallow Reef

DustnF

The acro struggle... I feel ya. Whats your Radion intensity? I bleached all my acros with the Radion originally but after lowering it a LOT (90% to 40%) I got a ton of colors back.

I have a gen 2 radion at 45% above a 19" deep tank. So I'm thinking yours should be around 30% given its a very shallow tank and you have the newer radion.

And parameters- phosphate, alkalinity, calcium specifically.

I was only being half serious. Everything is still settling in. Colors are fading and getting a little dull, most likely from the lack of nutrients in the water with it being such a new tank and having a low bioload for now. All and all everything is pretty healthy with good PE and nice encrusting growth. I did notice some bleaching on one or two of my pieces directly under my Radion. A piece of Garf Bonsai particularly. I had the lights running ~45% so I backed them off with the acclimation timer set at 60% for 5 weeks. I am going to watch and see.

Parameters are all about where I want them for now. Alk is low 8s dkh, calcium is ~420, phosphates are not detectable, and nitrates are ~5ppm. I am going to try to get a little more nutrients in the water and see if I can get some color back. Shutdown my GFO reactor and am going to run my skimmer a little dryer.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Tank looks great. I'm hooking up a radion tomorrow over my deep blue 30 tomorrow. Was wondering how your tank is doing and what intensity and schedule/mode you eneded up at.

Cencalfishguy56

I was only being half serious. Everything is still settling in. Colors are fading and getting a little dull, most likely from the lack of nutrients in the water with it being such a new tank and having a low bioload for now. All and all everything is pretty healthy with good PE and nice encrusting growth. I did notice some bleaching on one or two of my pieces directly under my Radion. A piece of Garf Bonsai particularly. I had the lights running ~45% so I backed them off with the acclimation timer set at 60% for 5 weeks. I am going to watch and see.

Parameters are all about where I want them for now. Alk is low 8s dkh, calcium is ~420, phosphates are not detectable, and nitrates are ~5ppm. I am going to try to get a little more nutrients in the water and see if I can get some color back. Shutdown my GFO reactor and am going to run my skimmer a little dryer.

John does great work, I also got my sump from him
  • 4 weeks later...

In November I got very sick and was hospitalized for 4 weeks, then spent the next 3 months recovering in Florida...about 500 miles away from my tank. My clownfish made it through fine...being fed every few days. All my SPS...not so much. Pretty sure I fried it all with overpowering light, but I was not around to do anything about it. Oh well...better the SPS died than me...lol. Out of everything in the tank only the Acans and Hammer survived.

I am finally getting life back to normal and back at my place in Memphis. I ordered dosing pumps last night, and am going to start collecting my SPS again. I now have my Radion peaking to only ~25%.

In November I got very sick and was hospitalized for 4 weeks, then spent the next 3 months recovering in Florida...about 500 miles away from my tank. My clownfish made it through fine...being fed every few days. All my SPS...not so much. Pretty sure I fried it all with overpowering light, but I was not around to do anything about it. Oh well...better the SPS died than me...lol. Out of everything in the tank only the Acans and Hammer survived.

I am finally getting life back to normal and back at my place in Memphis. I ordered dosing pumps last night, and am going to start collecting my SPS again. I now have my Radion peaking to only ~25%.

Sorry to hear that! Good that you're recovering and that some stuff made it though. Also good that you're keeping at the SPS even though all of yours didn't make it. :)

Sorry to hear that! Good that you're recovering and that some stuff made it though. Also good that you're keeping at the SPS even though all of yours didn't make it. :)

Thanks man. I am going to be pulling all my dead pieces out tonight...talk about throwing away money...lol

I didn't have my camera with me, but here they are on a rack in my brother's tank until I get my alk/calcium back where I want them.

IMG_1241.jpg

ReefNewby82

This is a nice build and you hAve a nice taste in sticks! Hope you are feeling better too. Will be following...

I just set up this same tank with a custom red stand and a RB Superlux lat night. I am curious what skimmer you are using and if the sump you had custom done AA is cheaper than the ruby trigger 20" cube model?

Thanks!

Brandon

I have a few nice pieces healing on the rack...

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0616.jpg

These two are BFFs...

BFF.jpg

This is a nice build and you hAve a nice taste in sticks! Hope you are feeling better too. Will be following...

I just set up this same tank with a custom red stand and a RB Superlux lat night. I am curious what skimmer you are using and if the sump you had custom done AA is cheaper than the ruby trigger 20" cube model?

Thanks!

Brandon

Thanks Brandon. My sump from AA was $320, I think the Ruby was $350. I looked at it, but wanted something with a built in ATO reservoir. I am running a Aquamax/JNS ConeS CO-1 skimmer.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived