Pod Your Reef

DustnF's Deep Blue 30g Shallow Reef

DustnF

Thanks guys. Got water in it last night and the return and MP10 running. I can not believe the difference the Quite Drive driver makes. It is literally silent even at 100%. Very impressive.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same thoughts with the scape, might need a little more space clear at the back and around the overflow to keep good water movement and prevent it being a crap trap. Other wise looks great.

Also, ridged plumbing all the way to the return pump? That's just a recipe for annoying buzzing and rattles later on. Best put some flexi pipe in there, even if it's only 6-8 inches it will dampen any vibrations.

We're up and running! Going to use Dr. Tims and Ammonia to kick off the fishless cycle tonight.

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

Same thoughts with the scape, might need a little more space clear at the back and around the overflow to keep good water movement and prevent it being a crap trap. Other wise looks great.

Also, ridged plumbing all the way to the return pump? That's just a recipe for annoying buzzing and rattles later on. Best put some flexi pipe in there, even if it's only 6-8 inches it will dampen any vibrations.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to be adding another MP10 soon, as this will be a very SPS dominate tank. If I develope dead zones by the overflow I will probably "Y" the return loc-line and put an outlet in that direction.

Yep, Ridged all the way to the return. Ever since I started running DC return pumps (On a 65g and a 180g) I have been plumbing this way and they have been completely inaudible. I have 3/4" black spa flex on hand if any developes.

Dr. Tim's One and Only and Ammonia are in. I have never cycled a tank this way. I have always seeded with some live rock from another tank. Anyone have any experience with this? Can you give me an idea what to expect?

Dr. Tim's One and Only and Ammonia are in. I have never cycled a tank this way. I have always seeded with some live rock from another tank. Anyone have any experience with this? Can you give me an idea what to expect?

Expect a fast cycle and you may not even see nitrite. I've used bacteria supplements on my salt water tank as well as on my two freshwater tanks and never got a nitrite reading. That was using Jungle Start Zyme, Brightwell Microbacter7, and Tetra Safe Start (not at the same time).

What's the fish plans for this sick af tank?

I'm not completely sure yet. This is the smallest tank I have run in a long time, so it is going to be a little tough. I know I want a Goby/Pistol pair...possible Randal's or Yasha. I will most like put in a designer clown, maybe a pair. Not sure what else. I am open to suggestions.

Yellow wrasse and jade wrasse also pick at bristle worms I believe and are less aggressive. Six lines are well known for being boisterous and aggressive.

Around 45 hours ago Dr. Tims One and Only was added and the tank was dosed with Ammonia to approximately 3.0 ppm. This test was just run. The lighting makes the shades in the pictures a little difficult. In person the levels test to a little over .50 ppm Ammonia and a little less than .25 ppm Nitrite.

8-28-15.jpg

I am going to test in another 24 hrs and if Ammonia and Nitrite test to <.25 ppm I will dose it to 3.0 ppm ammonia again.

I have started to put some thought into how I want to run GFO and Carbon for this setup. I am leaning towards the IM MiniMax reactors. I am trying to decide if I want to run GFO and Carbon in the same reactor, or run two of them. I am also trying to decide between the desktop and midsize versions. It/they will be attached to the first baffle in the sump. The midsize will allow me to run them with the motor/output below the baffle, I am not sure if this will be possible with the desktop size considering it is only ~11.5" tall. For my larger setups I have always run them separately in a BRS dual reactor. I just don't have room for that type of setup for this build.

I ordered a pair of IM MiniMax Desktop Reactors (one for GFO and one for Carbon) over the weekend. Just because my tank is stuck in cycling purgatory doesn't mean I have to stop spending money...lol

Archived