inTank Media Baskets

DustnF's Deep Blue 30g Shallow Reef

DustnF

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cycle completed...a little over three weeks. I just finished a large (~50%) water change. I am going to move a few "Test" (ie; less expensive) pieces over to my tank tonight and see how the look over the next few days. I will also start doing some fish shopping this week.

Thank you. I got most of my sps moved over last night and glued down. I also have a Randall's Goby, High Fin Goby, and Pistol Shrimp coming into my LFS sometime in the next week or so. I still have a couple Acans, a Rainbow Monti, and a couple other odds and ends to get moved over.

I took this FTS tonight.

FTS_1.jpg

A list of the SPS starting from the front left and working back and around the "horseshoe"...

Jason Fox Sour Twist

Garf Bonsai

Rainbow Mili

ASD Hallucination Acro

ASD Homegrown Rainbow Birdsnest

ORA Birds of Paradise

Steve Elias Stag

CC Oakland A Paniculata

Tyree Blue Matrix

CC Aussie Candlelight

ORA Joe the Coral

CC Needle in a Haystack

ASD Special Glow in the Dark Monti

CC Purple Tip Tort

CC Royale Pocillopora

There is also the large birdsnest in the middle and a few Acans on the outsides.

Can't wait to see it filled in. This going to be an all green coral tank??

Haha...it was not planned that way. For some reason I find myself gravitating towards the Greens and Blues. Some of the stuff should move more away from the Brown/Green as it colors up. I am also definitely not done shopping. ;)

Suggestions for some color diversity?

Haha...it was not planned that way. For some reason I find myself gravitating towards the Greens and Blues. Some of the stuff should move more away from the Brown/Green as it colors up. I am also definitely not done shopping. ;)

Suggestions for some color diversity?

I actually just got a frag of Ponape Birdsnest. Personally, birdsnests are my absolute favorite corals. They have an awesome shape and grow quickly. The Ponape Birdsnest is a green coral with purple tips. Look it up on google and you'll see. I have a pair of smaller frags of it and so far it's pretty awesome. Only had them a week or so though.

I'm also a big fan of digis. They're just so fuzzy and awesome looking. Digis also tend to have some amazing color. I have an orange digi that looks fantastic and has been growing well. I also have another digi that has amazing purple/blue polyps.

Here are a few closer shots of some of the pieces. Please keep in mind that A) I am not a great photographer and it is hard to capture the actual colors. I take these more to document growth than as "glamour shots"...and B) these were all just relocated after being on a rack for a while and need to be colored up a good bit.

Jason Fox Sour Twist

Sour%20Twist.jpg

Rainbow%20Bird.jpg

Tyree Blue Matrix

Tyree%20BM.jpg

ORA Joe the Coral

Joe.jpg

ORA Birds of Paradise

ORA%20Birds.jpg

CC Purple Tip Tort

Purple%20Tip%20Stag.jpg

CC Needle in a Haystack

Needle.jpg

ASD Hallucination Acro

Halucination.jpg

I actually just got a frag of Ponape Birdsnest. Personally, birdsnests are my absolute favorite corals. They have an awesome shape and grow quickly. The Ponape Birdsnest is a green coral with purple tips. Look it up on google and you'll see. I have a pair of smaller frags of it and so far it's pretty awesome. Only had them a week or so though.

I'm also a big fan of digis. They're just so fuzzy and awesome looking. Digis also tend to have some amazing color. I have an orange digi that looks fantastic and has been growing well. I also have another digi that has amazing purple/blue polyps.

I think the ASD Homegrown Rainbow Birdsnest above is very similar to the Ponape Birdsnest. My brother has a piece of Ponape in his 180g so it would not be hard for me to steal a piece.

I was looking at Digis the other night. I will definitely be picking up a couple.

It definitely is similar but based on the above picture there are a few differences. The Ponape birdsnest that I have is closer to the typical pink birdsnest when talking about shape. It has very thin branches and comes to a relatively sharp point. The purple tends to extend down about 1/8"-1/4" as well.

It definitely is similar but based on the above picture there are a few differences. The Ponape birdsnest that I have is closer to the typical pink birdsnest when talking about shape. It has very thin branches and comes to a relatively sharp point. The purple tends to extend down about 1/8"-1/4" as well.

You're right. The piece in his 180g definitely has sharper tips. Maybe I will snag a piece of his and do some side by side comparisons.

With the direction this tank is heading (a lot of SPS in a relatively small volume of water) it seams like dosing two part or running a calcium reactor is inevitable. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a very small calcium reactor? Do you think I would be better off just dosing two part?

• 3 weeks later...
Got some new pieces on the frag rack settling in before placement...

Reef Raft Frutopia

ATL Shades of Fall

ASD Rainbow Delight

WWC Toxic Waste

ORA Hawkins

Here are a few closer shots of some of the pieces. Please keep in mind that A) I am not a great photographer and it is hard to capture the actual colors. I take these more to document growth than as "glamour shots"...and B) these were all just relocated after being on a rack for a while and need to be colored up a good bit.

DSC_0424r.jpg

Sour%20Twist.jpg

I was gonna say...I feel like the colors in the background of the clown pic are probably a little more accurate lol xD And those green rocks lol :P

Jason Fox Sour Twist

Sour%20Twist.jpg

Rainbow%20Bird.jpg

Tyree Blue Matrix

Tyree%20BM.jpg

ORA Joe the Coral

Joe.jpg

ORA Birds of Paradise

ORA%20Birds.jpg

CC Purple Tip Tort

Purple%20Tip%20Stag.jpg

CC Needle in a Haystack

Needle.jpg

ASD Hallucination Acro

Halucination.jpg

I think the ASD Homegrown Rainbow Birdsnest above is very similar to the Ponape Birdsnest. My brother has a piece of Ponape in his 180g so it would not be hard for me to steal a piece.

I was looking at Digis the other night. I will definitely be picking up a couple.

Woah. How did the rock near the coral become green? ;):lol:

Looking back at the photos, I find it very mysterious that every coral is the exact same shade of green. Is it a rare photobucketacropora?

Haha...the color correction struggle is real. Don't worry, that piece is trending towards a nice shade of brown.

The acro struggle... I feel ya. Whats your Radion intensity? I bleached all my acros with the Radion originally but after lowering it a LOT (90% to 40%) I got a ton of colors back.

I have a gen 2 radion at 45% above a 19" deep tank. So I'm thinking yours should be around 30% given its a very shallow tank and you have the newer radion.

And parameters- phosphate, alkalinity, calcium specifically.

Archived