Cultivated Reef

300g Brackish Cichlid tank: new pump

HarryPotter

9 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

The return pump should never have issues priming since it is pulling water from the sump. Whatever the sump water level is at the water in the pump's pipe will also be at that level when everything is off.

And why would 10x flow be overkill? You want to keep waste moving, which is difficult in a system with no powerheads. :P

Hmm that sounds right, I’ll try to replicate the issue I had on video. I think perhaps I needed to give it time to balance the backflow+bubbles with the sump level. 

Cichlids are CRAZY clean Jedi. They sift the sand for you- so much cleaner than a typical freshwater or saltwater tank.

Issue with running 100% is sump noise: it’s a very old fashioned wet dry that is pretty much a waterfall! Needs to be upgraded to handle the flow without splashing.  

17 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

I'm not reading 6 pages. I don't really have much for advice beyond the obvious. I do have one question, maybe it was asked and answered, I don't know. Why are you running an African cichlid tank as brackish? Obviously, they'll live and breed in light brackish conditions, yet most of the fish I see are Malawian, and a few Tanganyikans. None of them come from brackish waters. Your tank, your fish, you do what you want. It just seems like a waste of salt to me.

I just did what the local cichlid farm recommended, I thought it was a universal thing for African cichlids. I’ll look into it! Cheap rock salt, not reef salt. 

• 1 month later...

Going great, hundreds and hundreds of babies. Unfortunately there is no way to make sure no baby cichlids are in the rocks when we bleach them, it’s somewhat a genocide. 

New pump is great- zero sound running at ~60%  (which is the max the sump can handle quietly). Just filter floss keeps the water remarkably clear. 

3eOGReZ.jpg