Coral Vue Hydros

300g Brackish Cichlid tank: new pump

HarryPotter

RIP Sebastian

Not at all. :wacko: New tank ordered locally...... 300g, clear silicon, dual rear overflows instead of the center right overflow.

Oh! I thought it was in reference to the heater.

On 9/24/2015 at 6:12 PM, HarryPotter said:

Just a quick update.

The Poly-Floss is doing wonders. There is almost no more floating stuff, and the water is pretty clear.

I had to use some Metronidazole soaked food after observing cloudy eyes earlier this month, and that worked well.

Heres a quick photo of them gathering as I walked by :)

7B57BFC2-1F49-4202-A017-A13DA0A2A58C_zps

That black and yellow one is bad ass Sorry about all the problems hope you will have better luck with the new tank

• Like 1

Oh ####berries!

:lol: ####berries

Not at all. :wacko: New tank ordered locally...... 300g, clear silicon, dual rear overflows instead of the center right overflow.

that doesn't sound like a ReefSavvy tank... :lol: you gonna set those chiclids free in the swamp and fill the new tank with salt and tangs?
  • Like 1

:lol: ####berries

that doesn't sound like a ReefSavvy tank... :lol: you gonna set those chiclids free in the swamp and fill the new tank with salt and tangs?

Lol.... so my dad is getting an advanced acrylics sump ?For damn brackish fish!

Harry,

just read through your thread. sorry you had problem thn your tank broke what the hell right...

have you thought about running a ATS on your new tank? I know your restarting but guessing your using some if not all the rock and sand correct? my guess it that the heater killed off your good bacteria and what was left could not keep up with the fish load hence the algae.

the ATS would be a natural and easy filter. just an idea man. I like them.

on a side note i would do a butterfly and tang tank but that just me. or a big mangove and macro algae tank :P

I know, but they did give me my RL-45 with stand and skimmer for free in compensation. Very apologetic

That was nice of them. When I had a Fluval heater go on the fritz, I didn't even so much as get a reply from the company.

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2016 at 6:26 PM, jedimasterben said:

Oh ####berries, that is the center brace!

Tada! Brand new custom 300g installed yesterday, dual rear overflows, blue background, plumbed dual 1" overflows and 2 1" returns each split locline.

F39808F2-E94E-4C88-A1B2-3E5E501EC9BD_zps

• Like 5
  • 10 months later...

It looks realllly nice. Yesterday the 12 year old AC pump burned to a crisp when the sump ran dry. (It’s my dads job to top off this tank). 

I replumbed a bit and installed an external Current USA eFlux, 3170gph DC pump. It seemed like a good option at $180, the least expensive DC pump of this strength with good reviews. Running at 75%, there is more flow and by far less noise than the AC one. I also put in a 1 foot section of silicon tubing on the return to kill vibration- according to my reading that’s the best way to go. Was fun doing plumbing, except that PVC glue gives me a nasty headache! 

6IRlNiv.jpg

• Like 2

The plumbing. Only issue is that the pump has trouble priming after power goes off, as the return backflows with bubbles. I think adjusting the loc line in the tank a little higher will fix that issue.

Kind of proud of this, a whole bunch of fittings were required and I only went to the hardware store once! 

Of course getting a pump with 10x return for a cichlid tank is overkill. But it’s all part of my long term goal of taking this to salt ?

I even needlessly used a coupling on a section where I could just disconnect the soft tubing ? #fancy

KWXmiDe.jpg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

The tank has really come a long way, looking good! Some of those fish are getting huge. I'm fixing the old photobucket photos for you too.

Thank you Christopher! I didn't know that was possible! :) 

In the photo I just posted most of the fish are hiding in the rock-work as I just turned on the light. They're getting big for sure though! 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

All photos restored! It is indeed possible to restore lost Photobucket images, as long as they haven't been deleted. It requires me to manually edit the HTML of each post and modify each photo address in a special way. It's tedious, but on a topic like this without a ton of photos it takes about 15 minutes or so, post by post. Once I get them back they're saved to our image cache with the others and hosted locally.

• Thanks 1
jedimasterben

The return pump should never have issues priming since it is pulling water from the sump. Whatever the sump water level is at the water in the pump's pipe will also be at that level when everything is off.

And why would 10x flow be overkill? You want to keep waste moving, which is difficult in a system with no powerheads. :P

• Like 1

I'm not reading 6 pages. I don't really have much for advice beyond the obvious. I do have one question, maybe it was asked and answered, I don't know. Why are you running an African cichlid tank as brackish? Obviously, they'll live and breed in light brackish conditions, yet most of the fish I see are Malawian, and a few Tanganyikans. None of them come from brackish waters. Your tank, your fish, you do what you want. It just seems like a waste of salt to me.