Cultivated Reef

Snow's Mantis Menagerie - Losing everyone.

Snow_Phoenix

Since they make the click sound when they bash that wrecking ball of theirs into something, I can imagine she's silent if she doesn't have them any longer. I don't know about the Lugol's, I've never used it but it can take a couple molts to heal back. It took her a couple molts for Gertie to get her eye right. I didn't change up or add anything to her water. Time is all and try to give her food, see if she goes for it. Put a piece by her burrow and see if it's still there in the morning. Did she board up?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since they make the click sound when they bash that wrecking ball of theirs into something, I can imagine she's silent if she doesn't have them any longer. I don't know about the Lugol's, I've never used it but it can take a couple molts to heal back. It took her a couple molts for Gertie to get her eye right. I didn't change up or add anything to her water. Time is all and try to give her food, see if she goes for it. Put a piece by her burrow and see if it's still there in the morning. Did she board up?

Alright, I'll skip the Lugol's. Yep, she's all boarded up, but I can see the rubble hasn't moved at all. I don't want to forcefully open her burrow because I read somewhere that a premature molt can damage or kill a mantis. I'll put a tiny bit of shrimp in front of the entrance to her cave and remove it after half a day. Rotting shrimp sometimes gives off an awful smell and the tank is in the dining area of the house.

Quick update: I finally spotted Freya after a near 3-week absence today! She opened her burrow as I was target feeding some of my corals roe and cyclops, and I quickly thawed a small piece of sliced shrimp before giving it to her. I used my phone's torchlight to peek into her burrow - she's grown bigger and molted again, but her smashers are now tiny and deformed/underdeveloped. I think it'll take her a few more molts before she regains full size and strength of them.

Many thanks to Amphipod and FlowerMama for helping me with all their advice. :)

Quick update: I finally spotted Freya after a near 3-week absence today! She opened her burrow as I was target feeding some of my corals roe and cyclops, and I quickly thawed a small piece of sliced shrimp before giving it to her. I used my phone's torchlight to peek into her burrow - she's grown bigger and molted again, but her smashers are now tiny and deformed/underdeveloped. I think it'll take her a few more molts before she regains full size and strength of them.

Many thanks to Amphipod and FlowerMama for helping me with all their advice. :)

I am very happy to hear that Freya is hanging in there. I guess she must be pretty tough although you hand feeding her certainly helped her survive as well. It would seem that she is moving in the right direction and has a good chance to develop well formed smasher eventually. Maybe she stored up energy from the shrimp you were hand feeding her but then conserved it by being kind of dormant to form those tiny little under-developed smashers?

I am very happy to hear that Freya is hanging in there. I guess she must be pretty tough although you hand feeding her certainly helped her survive as well. It would seem that she is moving in the right direction and has a good chance to develop well formed smasher eventually. Maybe she stored up energy from the shrimp you were hand feeding her but then conserved it by being kind of dormant to form those tiny little under-developed smashers?

Thank you! It's wonderful to meet you on my thread btw - I love your seahorse tank. I think Freya was also quite lucky. Had she been a larger species like a Peacock mantis, this might have been the end of her. I was definitely hoping and praying she'd pull through. Could be. I don't know if mantises enter a sort of biostasis mode, but as you've stated, they could be conserving energy to regenerate any lost appendages with future molts to come. I'll definitely try to feed her something whenever she pops out of her burrow.

Like w/ Gertie with the part of her missing eye, it'll probably take a couple more moltings and she'll be back to normal.

Yeah, I recalled Gertie losing her eye and one of her smashers, right? So I think it'll be time before Freya regrows both her weapons. I expect her to stay in the burrow though since she's quite vulnerable.

Thank you! It's wonderful to meet you on my thread btw - I love your seahorse tank. I think Freya was also quite lucky. Had she been a larger species like a Peacock mantis, this might have been the end of her. I was definitely hoping and praying she'd pull through. Could be. I don't know if mantises enter a sort of biostasis mode, but as you've stated, they could be conserving energy to regenerate any lost appendages with future molts to come. I'll definitely try to feed her something whenever she pops out of her burrow.

Yeah, I recalled Gertie losing her eye and one of her smashers, right? So I think it'll be time before Freya regrows both her weapons. I expect her to stay in the burrow though since she's quite vulnerable.

Ha ha, it's funny how we quietly follow each others threads but don't post something for a while. (I am glad that you enjoy the seahorse tank.) I will be following to see her progress with future molts.

My son had a mantis shrimp years ago but I think it was a peacock. He loved that little creature. I am not totally up on mantis shrimp except that they get a lot of undeserved hate for just doing what they were created to do.

Ha ha, it's funny how we quietly follow each others threads but don't post something for a while. (I am glad that you enjoy the seahorse tank.) I will be following to see her progress with future molts.

My son had a mantis shrimp years ago but I think it was a peacock. He loved that little creature. I am not totally up on mantis shrimp except that they get a lot of undeserved hate for just doing what they were created to do.

Hehe, yes - I actually do quietly follow a lot of threads on here. I've missed this site more than anything in these past two or so months of my absence - one would think that I've been gone for 2 years instead!

I saw a beautiful maroon and white striped seahorse at my LFS just yesterday. It was all alone in a huge shallow reef tank - which was actually a little bit sad. I do hope whomever who decides to purchase it knows what they're signing up for though. Seahorses are even more challenging than mandarins, if you ask me.

Peacocks are actually quite beautiful, but it's very rare that any of my local LFS pull in mantises. I admit I was enamored by Freya as soon as I saw her up for sale at the store. She'd been there for almost two weeks whilst the entire fish shipment she came with had sold out. I'm so glad to have picked her up.

Does your son still keep any mantises in the present?

And yes, they don't deserve the bad rep that they get. I was only educated on them when I became a member on this site. Otherwise I was strung along on the belief 'they're all evil' by locals ever since I first started reefing nearly three years ago.

Hehe, yes - I actually do quietly follow a lot of threads on here. I've missed this site more than anything in these past two or so months of my absence - one would think that I've been gone for 2 years instead!

I saw a beautiful maroon and white striped seahorse at my LFS just yesterday. It was all alone in a huge shallow reef tank - which was actually a little bit sad. I do hope whomever who decides to purchase it knows what they're signing up for though. Seahorses are even more challenging than mandarins, if you ask me.

Peacocks are actually quite beautiful, but it's very rare that any of my local LFS pull in mantises. I admit I was enamored by Freya as soon as I saw her up for sale at the store. She'd been there for almost two weeks whilst the entire fish shipment she came with had sold out. I'm so glad to have picked her up.

Does your son still keep any mantises in the present?

And yes, they don't deserve the bad rep that they get. I was only educated on them when I became a member on this site. Otherwise I was strung along on the belief 'they're all evil' by locals ever since I first started reefing nearly three years ago.

This is my favorite 'go to' forum although I belong to several others am actually a moderator on 1 seahorse site. I like the folks here a lot and their helpful friendly attitude toward helping and educating each other.☺

Ah, that is sad about the seahorse you saw at the lfs. So many lfs don't know enough about seahorses to care properly for them and so are not able to educate their customers. I worked for a very good conscientious store for 12 years and even they did not know as much as they should have. Fortunately they stopped carrying them because they realized that.

No my son no longer has a mantis. He was a young teen then and I had gotten him started on marine tanks. He is now a young man, (32 yrs old) with a family and busy career as a teacher and so does not have any tanks at present. He did just take my 30g XH back home with him after thanksgiving so I think he is about to get back into it, (ha ha with a little enabling from me!).

This is my favorite 'go to' forum although I belong to several others am actually a moderator on 1 seahorse site. I like the folks here a lot and their helpful friendly attitude toward helping and educating each other.☺

Ah, that is sad about the seahorse you saw at the lfs. So many lfs don't know enough about seahorses to care properly for them and so are not able to educate their customers. I worked for a very good conscientious store for 12 years and even they did not know as much as they should have. Fortunately they stopped carrying them because they realized that.

No my son no longer has a mantis. He was a young teen then and I had gotten him started on marine tanks. He is now a young man, (32 yrs old) with a family and busy career as a teacher and so does not have any tanks at present. He did just take my 30g XH back home with him after thanksgiving so I think he is about to get back into it, (ha ha with a little enabling from me!).

Same here. I used to be in several local forums for reefing but pretty much got thrown out. Let's just say they made it straight clear that they didn't like women participating in this hobby, and especially women who could debate and argue about certain reefing aspects. I'm actually secretly glad to be rid of the local forums - I now only have this site for reefing, and am an admin of my own group in FB which dabbles in all types of fishkeeping (FW, SW and brackish). I don't venture to other sites at all.

I too find the folk in here friendlier and more honest, if not direct. A lot of people pitch in with valuable input, and there's always some good advice to be garnered here.

I agree about the seahorse. But my LFS usually doesn't pull in seahorses unless a specific customer orders them in advance. Same goes for sea pipes. I think this seahorse was most likely reserved by one of the richer reefers, but I'm not sure since I didn't ask the store manager. Should have taken a pic though - that sea horse had some pretty neat markings.

Ah, well, once he's grabbed the tank - it's safe to say he'll be dabbling into either FW or SW pretty soon. :lol: I myself can't bear to get rid of Freya now. It's like I'm hopelessly addicted. My dad laughed a little when he noticed me adding bits of coral to the tank since I said I was decommissioning everything. I sold off all my equipment, dosing bottles, larger coral colonies etc. and yet I still have an 8G mantis habitat hehe.

Guess reefing is like a drug - once it's in your bloodstream, there's pretty much no getting rid of it. B)

Same here. I used to be in several local forums for reefing but pretty much got thrown out. Let's just say they made it straight clear that they didn't like women participating in this hobby, and especially women who could debate and argue about certain reefing aspects. I'm actually secretly glad to be rid of the local forums - I now only have this site for reefing, and am an admin of my own group in FB which dabbles in all types of fishkeeping (FW, SW and brackish). I don't venture to other sites at all.

I too find the folk in here friendlier and more honest, if not direct. A lot of people pitch in with valuable input, and there's always some good advice to be garnered here.

I agree about the seahorse. But my LFS usually doesn't pull in seahorses unless a specific customer orders them in advance. Same goes for sea pipes. I think this seahorse was most likely reserved by one of the richer reefers, but I'm not sure since I didn't ask the store manager. Should have taken a pic though - that sea horse had some pretty neat markings.

Ah, well, once he's grabbed the tank - it's safe to say he'll be dabbling into either FW or SW pretty soon. :lol: I myself can't bear to get rid of Freya now. It's like I'm hopelessly addicted. My dad laughed a little when he noticed me adding bits of coral to the tank since I said I was decommissioning everything. I sold off all my equipment, dosing bottles, larger coral colonies etc. and yet I still have an 8G mantis habitat hehe.

Guess reefing is like a drug - once it's in your bloodstream, there's pretty much no getting rid of it. B)

That is funny that you got kicked off your local forum because that is what happen to me too! I wished I could say I was young and dumb but it would be more accurate to say that I was old and dumb and didn't understand internet forums. My son was buying and selling stuff so I decided to sell some live rock. I got slapped with an infraction for not posting a price so then I posted and just asked what a normal going price was so i could post one and I was kicked off, ha ha! It was ok since I found NR as a result of that.

Yes, i predict that my son will be in it hard core in no time. He did coral before me and is actually the one who started me with coral. He gave me a lot of frags and I still have some of those to this day. I will no doubt be giving him back frags once his tank is up and cycled, LOL. I guess it's in both of our bloodstreams!

I too have done FW and brackish tanks, actually that is what I started in.

I think that is cute that you are sprucing up Freya's tank with a few soft coral. A macro algae might be nice too? They are pretty easy, can even grow without a heater and minimal light.

It was just the eye on Gertie, I thought how scary, as crazy as their eyes are, what they can do? how they can see? I was really worried that the lenses wouldn't grow back. Nature is amazing.

That is funny that you got kicked off your local forum because that is what happen to me too! I wished I could say I was young and dumb but it would be more accurate to say that I was old and dumb and didn't understand internet forums. My son was buying and selling stuff so I decided to sell some live rock. I got slapped with an infraction for not posting a price so then I posted and just asked what a normal going price was so i could post one and I was kicked off, ha ha! It was ok since I found NR as a result of that.

Yes, i predict that my son will be in it hard core in no time. He did coral before me and is actually the one who started me with coral. He gave me a lot of frags and I still have some of those to this day. I will no doubt be giving him back frags once his tank is up and cycled, LOL. I guess it's in both of our bloodstreams!

I too have done FW and brackish tanks, actually that is what I started in.

I think that is cute that you are sprucing up Freya's tank with a few soft coral. A macro algae might be nice too? They are pretty easy, can even grow without a heater and minimal light.

Lol, some of the internet police are too strung up on their own rules. In my case, I had one of the admins secure my personal cellphone number and call me up and threaten me to apologize to his group of douches. Quite frankly, I was fed up with the whole issue and I just said a simple 'Sorry' to get them off my back. You'll be surprised at what people do to have their egos stroke.

That's very nice for you to share a same passion/hobby with your son. My family mostly have green thumbs, but they do like my tanks as long as they're not a nuisance. I've caught my father secretly snapping pics of my tank when he thinks I'm not looking lol.

I have two types of macro - just some simple Galaxaura and C. peltalta, in there. The latter grows quick and needs to be trimmed weekly though, or else it'll look like a jungle. But it does keep the nutrient levels down. Right now I have a small assortment of zoas, mushrooms, Gonis, a pagoda, GSP and a tiny grumpy Elegance alongside 2 macros. I'll probably add more mushrooms and a soft finger leather later. :)

It was just the eye on Gertie, I thought how scary, as crazy as their eyes are, what they can do? how they can see? I was really worried that the lenses wouldn't grow back. Nature is amazing.

Yes - especially mantis' eyes are so unique and sensitive. They're like little scanners that rove over everything - I'm sure you must have been terrified when you first say her that way. Glad she's ok now though. And I agree - nature is indeed amazing!

On an unrelated note, my father nearly avoided a major car accident today - his entire system malfunctioned and the vehicle kept going to the right and left uncontrollably. He was quite shaken up by the incident. He's currently in the auto shop getting it fixed, but he's planning on selling off the car because he nearly died today. The entire car went out of control on a major road and he could have easily hit a motorcyclist and killed him, or even crashed the car into a tree and killed himself. Thank God that our Father preserved his life and watched over him today, or else I won't be having a father now. :(

Lol, some of the internet police are too strung up on their own rules. In my case, I had one of the admins secure my personal cellphone number and call me up and threaten me to apologize to his group of douches. Quite frankly, I was fed up with the whole issue and I just said a simple 'Sorry' to get them off my back. You'll be surprised at what people do to have their egos stroke.

That's very nice for you to share a same passion/hobby with your son. My family mostly have green thumbs, but they do like my tanks as long as they're not a nuisance. I've caught my father secretly snapping pics of my tank when he thinks I'm not looking lol.

I have two types of macro - just some simple Galaxaura and C. peltalta, in there. The latter grows quick and needs to be trimmed weekly though, or else it'll look like a jungle. But it does keep the nutrient levels down. Right now I have a small assortment of zoas, mushrooms, Gonis, a pagoda, GSP and a tiny grumpy Elegance alongside 2 macros. I'll probably add more mushrooms and a soft finger leather later. :)

Yes - especially mantis' eyes are so unique and sensitive. They're like little scanners that rove over everything - I'm sure you must have been terrified when you first say her that way. Glad she's ok now though. And I agree - nature is indeed amazing!

On an unrelated note, my father nearly avoided a major car accident today - his entire system malfunctioned and the vehicle kept going to the right and left uncontrollably. He was quite shaken up by the incident. He's currently in the auto shop getting it fixed, but he's planning on selling off the car because he nearly died today. The entire car went out of control on a major road and he could have easily hit a motorcyclist and killed him, or even crashed the car into a tree and killed himself. Thank God that our Father preserved his life and watched over him today, or else I won't be having a father now. :(

O wow, that is horrible about what your father went through. I too will rejoice with you and your family that our heavenly Father preserved your earthly father's life and that nobody else was hurt or killed either.

Freya popped out again yesterday and today! I finally had a very clear look at her smashers (couldn't snap a pic because she's moving at light-speed all around the tank) and her right one is actually 50% of its original size with a tiny purple spot whilst the left one is around 20% of its original size and very light green (almost translucent). She'll just need a lot of attention and spot-feeding. I don't want her to smash anything using those fragile limbs of hers.

Also, some bad news on one end - I spotted a small cluster of red flatworms (urgh!) on my sandbed and glass today. They scooch around so fast in my tank that it was impossible to catch them or suck them up using my makeshift pipette. I thought of getting Flatworm Exit, but was worried that the amount of toxins these guys will release upon dying all at once will crash my tank horribly. So I've decided to get a baby sixline to deal with the problem. I just hope the wrasse doesn't pick on the clownfish too much. :(

Glad to hear about Freya condition being better than you thought but that's a bummer about the flatworms. Hopefully the six line will make short work of them.

Finally pulled through and made it past another year despite health complications. Am also getting myself a nice little red velvet cheesecake, but it's only arriving on the 18/12/2015 and it's 15/12/2015 here already. <_<

On the other hand, I finally had a small gift from the parental units - cash, mostly. Thinking of adding a red leather finger and a tri-colored mushroom to my tank once I return home from vacation during Christmas. :happy:

Unfortunately, my sixline never arrived and I can't spot anymore red flatworms (I think Elmo must have eaten them all), so I might be considering a second small fish. Perchers are dangerous to have around a mantis, but I admit I'd love to have a blenny of some sort. Is there a type of blenny that swims more often than perching, that'll be comfortable with a baby clown in an 8G?

• 3 weeks later...
Snow_Phoenix

Wanted to wish everyone a wonderful new year!

My New Year's Resolution:

1. Keep everything in the 8G as stable as possible

2. Keep an eco-picotope featuring dwarf puffers (freshwater)

3. Keep a nano puffer tank (marine)

As for what I got for myself at the end of Year 2015, here it was:

9P7QtUe.png

Additional LED clamp light to complement current LED strip. (Total output is now roughly 30W over a 8G tank)

e4QmEip.png

Red Finger Leather (multiple branches) & 26 headed dual-colored candycane coral.

10I2C4n.png

Five-headed Quadruple-colored Rhodactis Mushroom Coral.

Y0IRjpT.png

Probably not the best impulse purchase I've ever made, but here's Cairo, my red Dwarf Zebra Lionfish (acquired on 27/12/2015 - and before you ask, he has no issues so far with my clownfish or mantis shrimp for now, but I'll move him to his own tank much later).

Other random shots:

Z1TQxAR.png

Elmo hosting my Goni.

mbTtVWn.png

Freya on the prowl.

0vwhrCX.png

Buddies for now, or future Chinese takeout for later? :unsure:

FTS on 30/12/2015 with full lighting.

YUU9r9H.jpg

FTS on 30/12/2015 with partial lighting.

1ZBaWN7.jpg

EZH5ISV.jpg

:happy:

Archived