Pod Your Reef

Snow's Mantis Menagerie - Losing everyone.

Snow_Phoenix

HarryPotter

I heard of clowns hosting some pretty weird things, once I heard of a tenacle free mushroom coral being hosted, I even have heard of somebody who had their heater hosted lol.

Technically, it's the heater hosted the clowns :lol: jkjk

Yeah Stella's clowns host her ammonia sticker!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, it's the heater hosted the clowns :lol: jkjk

Yeah Stella's clowns host her ammonia sticker!

I really don't think either of those objects are going to give much a benefit by the " symbiosis " lol. Maybe the fish are kinda slow in the head, speshul fishiez, speshul speshul fishiez.
Snow_Phoenix

I did a quick parameter check and all the levels were looking good in the 5G. Also, my big new Hairy shroom is slowly splitting (I think!), so hopefully I'll get another cute baby really quick!

U281gkF.png

Oh, and best part - guess what else decided to pop up on the same shroom rock (only 2 polyps, but it's a start):

Some GSP! Neat little hitchikers! :D

QpxUecU.png

Also, one of the teal sponges in my 30G was slowly dying, so I managed to salvage a small cluster of zoas and an unknown hard stony coral with polyps. I inserted the unknown coral in the 5G:

p28uipZ.png

And I noticed something - Freya was getting more anxious about her holding tank and stressing out. She thwacked the plastic breeder box three times today and left three large scratch marks (those irregular white blotches). :o

L8Vny26.png

I fed her a pair of live, gut-loaded shrimp in hopes of calming her down but she was clearly frustrated and kept pounding away at the sides. And the times when she wasn't pounding, she'd sit and stare at me patiently.

Qls9KUw.png

I thought about it and ran another parameter check. NH4, NO2, PO4 = 0ppm, NO3 = 5ppm, dKH = 8.6, SG = 1.024 - the 5G was ready to host her. So I decided I might as well go ahead and slowly acclimate her to the new tank. After an hour of hiding, she finally found a rock that she liked and immediately smashed a 'C' shaped cavity through it. She came out a few times to pose for the camera in her new hipster alcove, and I even managed to get a short video of her entering and exiting the 'C' shaped burrow that she made.

gqd8MhQ.png

And sometimes, when I'm feeling very ill on a particular day, my therapy dog fills in for me at NR and on FB:

cgj9nGa.png

B)

Maybe the sponges poisons were aggravating Freya? They can release some nasty stuff post mortem.

Lol I bet Freya could put some hurt on unwary fingers.

Lol, Makes me wonder what conversations a dog would think of?

Yeah, see, they don't need special tubes, they'll create their own space. Mine has just been widening the burrows she's made to make them larger for herself. Really cool too, perfectly round tunnel. She's a beauty. And sure sounds like the box wouldn't have lasted long.

Snow_Phoenix

Maybe the sponges poisons were aggravating Freya? They can release some nasty stuff post mortem.

Lol I bet Freya could put some hurt on unwary fingers.

Lol, Makes me wonder what conversations a dog would think of?

Not sure, but could be. My corals didn't look too aggravated though - except my Goni.

Well, I bet dogs will only think about two things: food and play time! ;)

Yeah, see, they don't need special tubes, they'll create their own space. Mine has just been widening the burrows she's made to make them larger for herself. Really cool too, perfectly round tunnel. She's a beauty. And sure sounds like the box wouldn't have lasted long.

Yes, and I see that today she has her cavity plugged up with the shell of the small Trochus snail (I think she ate him overnight). She also decided to plug up another hole with my unknown coral piece, which is kind of adorable and funny.

Thank you! :wub:

Not sure, but could be. My corals didn't look too aggravated though - except my Goni.

Well, I bet dogs will only think about two things: food and play time! ;)

Yes, and I see that today she has her cavity plugged up with the shell of the small Trochus snail (I think she ate him overnight). She also decided to plug up another hole with my unknown coral piece, which is kind of adorable and funny.

Thank you! :wub:

Yep, they close the doors at night, safety reasons and they do that when molting as well. Could be 2-4 days you won't see her then when they're molting.

Snow_Phoenix

Yep, they close the doors at night, safety reasons and they do that when molting as well. Could be 2-4 days you won't see her then when they're molting.

Okay, noted. So I guess I'll just do my regular top-offs and not do anything else with this tank during that time. Let her settle in - if she's molting, I hope it goes smoothly! :)

I heard of clowns hosting some pretty weird things, once I heard of a tenacle free mushroom coral being hosted, I even have heard of somebody who had their heater hosted lol.

Dude, my clown is hosting my diamond goby. Needless to say, the clown has the crap beaten out of him/her (was the male, removed the female) on a daily basis. Just doesn't learn!

Snow_Phoenix

Dude, my clown is hosting my diamond goby. Needless to say, the clown has the crap beaten out of him/her (was the male, removed the female) on a daily basis. Just doesn't learn!

This is the first time I've ever heard of a clownfish being hosted by another fish. Must be pretty amusing and amazing to watch!

Snow_Phoenix

I just saw Freya roll out the snail shell from her cavity and peep out from her burrow.

I have several questions though:

1) Should I include smashed seashell fragments/small seashells as a form of 'rubble' so that she can plug up all her burrows?

2) Is dosing Iodine a must to make sure all Mantises molt on time, or would the usual weekly WC be enough?

3) Follow-up of Q2, do I need to get an Iodine test kit? Also, would any brand of Iodine do, or is Lugol's a must?

lol I don't think the fish is planning its actions well at all lol.even

I just saw Freya roll out the snail shell from her cavity and peep out from her burrow.

I have several questions though:

1) Should I include smashed seashell fragments/small seashells as a form of 'rubble' so that she can plug up all her burrows?

2) Is dosing Iodine a must to make sure all Mantises molt on time, or would the usual weekly WC be enough?

3) Follow-up of Q2, do I need to get an Iodine test kit? Also, would any brand of Iodine do, or is Lugol's a must?

make sure a small amount of iodine is present in the water at all times because without it moulting issues can be made much worse. A good method is mix an appropriate amount with the new water to be water changed so the level won't be too high or too low at any point.

I just use any iodine supplement that would work, heck you could even use iodized salt if you knew the percentage of the salt you are using for it.

Guess I've been lucky. I'm just making sure I do regular water changes for Gertie. And yes, keep shell fragments in there, she will use them to plug up her front and back doors.

Yep, you've fallen in love w/ her already. Hard not to! They're more interesting than many fish, unless you have scorpion fish and pretty things like that.

Snow_Phoenix

Update time!

Sorry for the delay, but this tank had to take a temporary backseat since I had some issues with my main DT.

But here's Freya - busy punching and shifting away some seashells that I placed in her tank so that she can plug up her burrow:

6GNHr0V.png

She also made herself a new tunnel!

SRjuIN3.png

And here she is, wondering why I love filming her so much. :wub:

um2slIh.png

And someone survived the tank overnight. :blink: Didn't know Scolys made good shields against mantises.

AbZmBg9.png

Also, someone dumped - and I mean dumped (not trade in etc.) a sea cucumber, a hermit, a longspine sea urchin, lot of damsels, a coral beauty, some chromises, a red TSB and several Occys at my LFS. Most of the Occys were sold, but one blue damsel and a lone 2" Occy was trapped in the sump of the LFS's display tank and I helped the lone LFS worker pull both fish out (catching them were difficult - it took us close to 30 minutes), and I brought home an Azure damsel for Freya's tank. I also ended up bringing home the last Occy and the red TSB back as well. And one of the lemon chromises are on standby for my main DT (I haven't brought it back yet).

So here's the new damsel - no name for him yet. Can you think of anything to call him?

xTquC6S.png

So that's it.

He he, feeder shrimp knows how to survive.

Pretty new fish, name him Jerry, I don't know why I just thought of that as his name lol.

Snow_Phoenix

Damsels are fast so good choice for the mantis tank so it can get away if need be.

Yep, this one is pretty quick. Also knew not to stay too close to the mantis alcove since he got thwacked on the first day by one of the smashers. No serious injuries to the fish though, thankfully.

He he, feeder shrimp knows how to survive.

Pretty new fish, name him Jerry, I don't know why I just thought of that as his name lol.

Jerry doesn't seem to fit though. :P

I'll look around online - hopefully scrolling down some unique names will give me ideas on what to call him.

Snow_Phoenix

How about Wallace?

I haven't met too many people called Wallace

Gilbert. Samson. Freddy. Jeremiah.

Thanks for all the suggestions, you two! I think I'll go with Flower's Gilbert. He looks like a Gilbert to me. :happy:

Thanks for all the suggestions, you two! I think I'll go with Flower's Gilbert. He looks like a Gilbert to me. :happy:

I was about to suggest Charles, and Obadiah lol.

Archived